Satellite internet... yea or nay?

phxdiablo

I was wondering if anyone has satellite internet for their internet connectivity.

I have an accepted contract on a mountainside home and there are no inbound cables to the house. It seems the only option for internet is satellite.

Upon further research into that medium, I've uncovered nothing but horror stories; latency, FAP issues, bad service, etc.

I'm a heavy internet user and I'd mow through their 30 day bandwidth limits in about 12 hours.

Does anyone have experience with satellite internet? Or, if you live in a rural area, what do you use for connectivity?

Any ideas / opinions would be helpful -- I'm about to cancel the contract due this issue as I cannot regress to 1999 type connectivity!! :(

I was wondering if anyone has satellite internet for their internet connectivity.

I have an accepted contract on a mountainside home and there are no inbound cables to the house. It seems the only option for internet is satellite.

Upon further research into that medium, I've uncovered nothing but horror stories; latency, FAP issues, bad service, etc.

I'm a heavy internet user and I'd mow through their 30 day bandwidth limits in about 12 hours.

Does anyone have experience with satellite internet? Or, if you live in a rural area, what do you use for connectivity?

Any ideas / opinions would be helpful -- I'm about to cancel the contract due this issue as I cannot regress to 1999 type connectivity!! :(

If you get cell service and have a good data plan, Would you be against tethering?

Upon further research into that medium, I've uncovered nothing but horror stories; latency, FAP issues, bad service...

Do I dare ask what FAP issues are? Hahahahahaha

Ive been looking into the same questions for my Kentuckiana place... To me the biggest issue would be data caps...

Have you looked into Line of sight Microwave broadband?

Ive known some people with it since I was raised in an area with limited connectivity for internet. All the complaints are valid. Its better than Dial Up but not by much. My parents still live where I was raised they have DSL now with like 2mbps DL speeds. It works for them, but they always comment about my speeds when they come to my house and use a computer. Ive looked at Satellite for them, I think even for them it would be to much of a limit.

I think you would hate it. Would the internet providers install a T1 line if you paid for the cost to install? Thats about all I would consider if I lived in the country. Probably not cheap, plus paying for the monthly bill of the line. But living in a rural area is awesome!

FAP = Fair Access Policy which means a monthly quota on GB uploads/downloads. Once you exceed the FAP, your connection is reduced to worse-than-dial-up speed. 20 GB a month is a typical allotment - I go through that in a day, maybe two.

I've looked into mobile broadband via Verizon 4G but that shows unavailable for this particular location as you need a cell tower nearby. This house is kinda tuck into a mountainside -- on the other side of the mountain is civilization, on the view side, nothing but desert. The thing about EVDO or other mobile broadband is that it is still relatively slow -- I'm used to 50mbps type speed, EVDO would reduce that to perhaps 1-2mbps, a frightening 90% reduction.

Never heard of microwave broadband as I need to investigate that as well as laying an actual cable. (Probably will need to be a mile long. :o )

FAP = Fair Access Policy which means a monthly quota on GB uploads/downloads. Once you exceed the FAP, your connection is reduced to worse-than-dial-up speed. 20 GB a month is a typical allotment - I go through that in a day, maybe two.

I've looked into mobile broadband via Verizon 4G but that shows unavailable for this particular location as you need a cell tower nearby. This house is kinda tuck into a mountainside -- on the other side of the mountain is civilization, on the view side, nothing but desert. The thing about EVDO or other mobile broadband is that it is still relatively slow -- I'm used to 50mbps type speed, EVDO would reduce that to perhaps 1-2mbps, a frightening 90% reduction.

Never heard of microwave broadband as I need to investigate that as well as laying an actual cable. (Probably will need to be a mile long. :o )

Google Line Of sight broadband... The biggest concerns are 1. is it offered in my area. and 2. If it is can I see the tower... If youre up on a mountainside Id say #2 wont be a problem.

• 1 month later...

I swear yesterday I saw an article about some satilite internet company that was suppose to be the best in terms of service on popsci/science daily type site. I'm trying to find it.

the dish net service actually works pretty well. maxs out around 9 or 10mbps down and 3-5 up, but the low tier plan gets you 5mbps down and 1up.

Google Line Of sight broadband... The biggest concerns are 1. is it offered in my area. and 2. If it is can I see the tower... If youre up on a mountainside Id say #2 wont be a problem.

My parents have this. Its pretty reliable, but sometimes has issues during snowstorms. Still not as fast as a good cable connection however.

Line of Sight Microwave works pretty well if it's available. When we bought our house last year, DSL wasn't (and still isn't) available, and Cable hadn't put any lines in yet. There was a local company that offered LOS internet service and the speeds weren't great, but there were no data caps. Typically I'd get 750kbps - 1.2 Mbps down but only 250-300k up. Price was reasonable though $29 a month no contract. As soon as the cable company put lines in I did switch though.