I'm bastardizing my herbie...

whiteout

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone, I'll keep this updated. Right now I'm just waiting on the engine mounts and clutch to arrive. Then I can install everything in the car. Hopefully it will be on the road within two weeks (famous D.Wiggs line).

Bad ass man, I love it.

On the broken sensor, my first guess is oil pressure. Could be a knock sensor, but odd location. Sorry, not that experienced with LSx stuff.

Yeah, it's a oil pressure sender. Luckily GM parts are insanely cheap.

Will you have enough storage for the hate mail ? :lol2:

The purists are going to HATE me. :lol:

How much did you get for the old motor?

$6k

Where did you learn to do all this stuff? Are you self taught?

I think you are VERY brave!

Enjoyed the write up and look forward to more....

I've worked on cars for years, using general knowledge from past experiences on this swap. Self taught (and research on some vehicle specific characteristics) is probably the best way to describe it.

Nice-Murci, E36 M3, LSX Porsche and I think I saw a supra in that garage shot. Nice stable!

Murci, E36M, 996, and Camaro.

E36M is now gone and the Camaro rolling chassis is for sale.

This is awesome. The purists will be angry from both camps. I had a friend build a factory 5 cobra and he got hate mail for cannibalizing an old mustang 5.0 engine. They said he shouldn't ruin a perfectly good stang.

I look at it this way, any Porsche from 1998 forward is a disposable yet briefly amusing shitbox, so putting a v8 in it should be applauded as its making it a better car. Someone should file a class action suit against Porsche for all those ims failures. My last Boxster dd shit its engine 3 times under warranty.

Now, to really fcuk with people's heads, you should have put the flat 6 in the camaro!

Now, to really fcuk with people's heads, you should have put the flat 6 in the camaro!

I would like to put a 2JZ(Supra Engine) in one of those. Its been done a few times and every time the die hard boys get pissed. I also have a friend who put a 2JZ into a Fox Body stang, people werent to happy about that either. :lol2:

This is cool, I cant wait to see it finished.

What is the weight of the motor compared to stock Porsche..any suspension updates needed?

This is awesome. The purists will be angry from both camps. I had a friend build a factory 5 cobra and he got hate mail for cannibalizing an old mustang 5.0 engine. They said he shouldn't ruin a perfectly good stang.

Yeah, people aren't too happy that I gutted a clean Camaro. lol

I look at it this way, any Porsche from 1998 forward is a disposable yet briefly amusing shitbox, so putting a v8 in it should be applauded as its making it a better car. Someone should file a class action suit against Porsche for all those ims failures. My last Boxster dd shit its engine 3 times under warranty.

Yes, the early motors are pure crap.

What is the weight of the motor compared to stock Porsche..any suspension updates needed?

They are about equal in weight. But I'm dropping the accessories off the LS1, so there will be less weight on the back of the engine.

Today I realized that I have lost my new front main seal. I've been looking for this piece for days and it's the only thing holding me back from completely buttoning the engine back together. Looks like I will be picking another one up tomorrow, luckily GM parts are CHEAP.

Moving on, I was bummed about the front main seal, so I started on a job that I've been putting off for over a month, Lambo front brakes.

179C5D54-F73F-4149-A1C1-FEEFEF7FD158-343

... 20 minutes later it was time to get back to the LS1.

I mostly spent the evening cleaning the LS1, intake manifold around fuel injectors, valley, heads, and throttle body.

718107AB-C625-45AC-B7B7-AC75E628CF12-343

Installed new gaskets and the throttle body on the intake manifold and installed the intake manifold onto the engine.

2030F133-7453-4EC8-9A00-9A2D0DB3630C-343

9847E406-215D-4F87-97F2-59147F3D8DED-343

The AIR delete plates are now on the factory manifolds:

B3D9EF40-22EE-47C9-BF2D-D2D7CD651B64-343

72AA92EC-FAA8-4623-9A62-E61B697601CF-343