Superleggera in my future

DarkHorse

I want to buy a superleggera this year but I'm afraid of taking a huge depreciation hit when the new model drops next year what you guys think?

Any word if the new Gallardo will drop in 2014 or not?

Also if I buy SL will I take a bigger depreciation hit if I drive it and then sell it in two years versus buying a regular gallardo ? looking at a my08 sl with 16k miles. For 150k .

Thanks to all for your input and opinions.

The Gallardo replacement will affect all Gallardo prices. The 08 superleggeras will probably do best of the pre LP cars.

I want to buy a superleggera this year but I'm afraid of taking a huge depreciation hit when the new model drops next year what you guys think?

Any word if the new Gallardo will drop in 2014 or not?

Also if I buy SL will I take a bigger depreciation hit if I drive it and then sell it in two years versus buying a regular gallardo ? looking at a my08 sl with 16k miles. For 150k .

Thanks to all for your input and opinions.

First off, welcome to the bullpen. You've found the best place on the net for your Lamborghini needs.

Secondly, if you are overly concerned with the depreciation factor, go after a plain Gallardo and throw twin-turbos on it and cosmetically enhance it to SL level. You may be in the same ballpark for the money.

I wouldn't let the upcoming model scare you, but it could go one of three ways. One, the new car looks to be a hit, and the Gallardo prices take an initial hit, then level off somewhere below where they are currently at. Secondly, the new car turns everyone off causing a run on the older cars because people waited before they bought. Or third, the car is neither hit or miss, but the Gallardo prices remain stable and carry on.

Best of luck in your decision, keep us updated on what you decide to do.

If I'm not mistaken, even with the post 08 SLs, the 08s have held pretty steady, maybe dropping 10-15k in the last couple years. I don't think it will get too bad as they still seem fairly rare.

Depreciation is the cost of having fun, go for the car you love and enjoy.

Sometimes. In 2010 you could have gotten a 08SL for 140k with 8k miles. Now he is looking for the same car (3 years older now) with twice the miles for 10k more. There was a time when they were a lot lower and now they've climbed back up.

If I'm not mistaken, even with the post 08 SLs, the 08s have held pretty steady, maybe dropping 10-15k in the last couple years. I don't think it will get too bad as they still seem fairly rare.

Touche.

The "problem" is, one can get a regular, and with all the updates and upgrades the aftermarket offers, have the same appeal as the SL. For some it works, but not everyone.

One other side of the token.. If the Gallardo replacement comes out with a much steeper price tag like the Aventador did, it should help the Gallardo cars maintain their market value.. I would assume this is the case. When I purchased my Murci everyone said I shouldn't pay more than $85000.. I laughed and asked to show me a nice $85000 Murci. I pormise everyone would laugh at anyone saying a 2002 Murci in great condition is only worth $85000 now regardless of the miles. And that was said just last April. Is it a $130000 car.. Maybe not.. But it sure isn't an $85000 car.

I would say the Superleggera will hold its value better than the others for sure. $150k seems a little hi, but with a preowned Lamborghini I think it is purely a car by car bassis. Some higher mile cars are much better cars to purchase than lower mile cars etc. Roy has a great reputation and he seems to love to negotiate..

Good luck finding the car you are after.. The search is a big part of the fun of Lamborghini ownership!

I doubt 08 SLs will be affected much by the new Gallardo replacement. They may continue normal depreciation, but I dont see any extra depreciation because of it.

Its a tough one... I too want to buy a Gallardo, but I will wait till the right ones have come to the right price. The Lp550s and over 13,000 units produced are going to greatly affect prices in the long run. Recently seeing a 2011 Verde SuperG go for 169K is an indication of things to come..

Its a tough one... I too want to buy a Gallardo, but I will wait till the right ones have come to the right price. The Lp550s and over 13,000 units produced are going to greatly affect prices in the long run. Recently seeing a 2011 Verde SuperG go for 169K is an indication of things to come..

Allan,

There had to be something wrong with either the car, or the seller. I don't know any 2011 SuperGs going for that, unless there is a firesale or salvage..

-Steven

Allan,

There had to be something wrong with either the car, or the seller. I don't know any 2011 SuperGs going for that, unless there is a firesale or salvage..

-Steven

No salvage.. Car had something like 10K miles. Car was sold at auction. Few months ago we were finding 2011 SuperG's with 1000 miles for 190K retail.. So where would that put a 10K mile example.. Another example is used 2012 Lp550s with 1-2k miles retailing with asking prices of 165K..

Sometimes. In 2010 you could have gotten a 08SL for 140k with 8k miles. Now he is looking for the same car (3 years older now) with twice the miles for 10k more. There was a time when they were a lot lower and now they've climbed back up.

+1

Plus the 08 SL is very limited relative to the LP570's.

Thanks for the tremendous response ! Sounds like I will be getting a sl . I will be looking to do this in about 2 months. thank you Roy for the info on the yellow sl. But I'm REALLY in love with the grigio !!! So I'm inclined to wait just a bit longer. I will be a this weekends Lamborghini Newport show ! Anybody attending the event??

Also I'm very excited to become part of the Lambo family its been a long time coming!

Thanks for the tremendous response ! Sounds like I will be getting a sl . I will be looking to do this in about 2 months. thank you Roy for the info on the yellow sl. But I'm REALLY in love with the grigio !!! So I'm inclined to wait just a bit longer. I will be a this weekends Lamborghini Newport show ! Anybody attending the event??

Also I'm very excited to become part of the Lambo family its been a long time coming!

Make sure you get a PPI before the purchase. Good luck.

It was Brian @ Exotic Car Search that posted that one ;)

Absolutely 100% get a proper PPI!!!

OP, if you don't want to spend the money on PPI you should at least check with a pro like Assman:). He is an educated buyer who knows a lot about cars.