DIY clutch install on my Murcie

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

**Update**

Friday we installed the CORRECT flywheel and kevlar clutch. Saturday, transmission fluid was topped off and then in went the engine. We had a problem trying to get the engine mount bolts in after mount the transmission. After finalgling for a while, we decided to call it a night. Sunday morning, the transmission was unmounted and we bolted the engine up first. Easy peasy. In hindsight, it makes sense that it worked because it was reverse order of removing the engine and transmission. Power steering fluid was topped off and the rear engine... brace was installed. Protip: When installing the rear brace, make sure the car is not on its wheels. The weight of the engine cause just enough flex in rear to make it impossible to get the brace in. :) That was it for the last weekend. Next up, clutch/brake fluid (the tool didn't arrive until Monday), coolant, the final part of the exhaust and misc panels. We are getting close!!

_MG_8198-XL.jpg

Kevlar!!!!

_MG_8205-XL.jpg

New and shiny!

_MG_8206-XL.jpg

_MG_8207-XL.jpg

_MG_8209-XL.jpg

_MG_8210-XL.jpg

_MG_8217-XL.jpg

_MG_8226-XL.jpg

_MG_8384-XL.jpg

It's in!!!!

_MG_8378b-XL.jpg

Until next time....

Gallery: http://www.kenmarkstudios.com/Cars/Replaci...3&k=6FXf8kJ

Nice, no lift! I'm sure it'll be an amazing feeling of accomplishment once everything is put back together and you fire it up again for the first time.

Can you estimate the cost savings over having the work done at a shop/dealership?

Keep the pics coming!

Awesome pix, again! Yeah that side by side flywheel shot, it looks like the one on the right is an LP640 flywheel. The 02-06 just has the ring gear on the outside edge of the flywheel and nothing else. Such a subtle difference...

Anyways, epic DIY thread for sure!

It's a manual. I'm sure that saved at least $4k in labor assuming the guys helping did it out of the goodness of their hearts lol

It's a manual. I'm sure that saved at least $4k in labor assuming the guys helping did it out of the goodness of their hearts lol

Probably double that..

Nice, no lift! I'm sure it'll be an amazing feeling of accomplishment once everything is put back together and you fire it up again for the first time.

Can you estimate the cost savings over having the work done at a shop/dealership?

Keep the pics coming!

Thanks and yes! Just me and my friends working on it. The dealership quoted $5,000-$7,000 for labor just for the clutch install. We pretty much did the full 15k service. Replaced clutch, new sparkplugs, all new fluids- oil and filter, Power steering/lifting system fluid, brake fluid, coolant, transmission and differential fluid, checked the valve clearance, checked the engine accessory drive belt, adjusted the ebrake, recharged and inspected the a/c system, cleaned the engine and engine bay, and converted the car to RWD. I am sure it would of been $10,000+ for labor alone.

Awesome pix, again! Yeah that side by side flywheel shot, it looks like the one on the right is an LP640 flywheel. The 02-06 just has the ring gear on the outside edge of the flywheel and nothing else. Such a subtle difference...

Anyways, epic DIY thread for sure!

Yep I did not notice it was a LP flywheel untill I saw the pics, right before we were going to reinstall the motor and trans. We had to take it back out and get the correct flywheel.

Great work fellas. Who's kevlar kit is it ? That's a steal for $3K. I feel like following in your footsteps !

Clutch Masters

Great Job

why didn't you guys lower the wings to work on the car, too many pushes from the side and you can snap something in there.

Great Job

why didn't you guys lower the wings to work on the car, too many pushes from the side and you can snap something in there.

They really were not in the way and we never leaned on then. Thanks!

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
**Update**

Friday we installed the CORRECT flywheel and kevlar clutch. Saturday, transmission fluid was topped off and then in went the engine. We had a problem trying to get the engine mount bolts in after mount the transmission. After finalgling for a while, we decided to call it a night. Sunday morning, the transmission was unmounted and we bolted the engine up first. Easy peasy. In hindsight, it makes sense that it worked because it was reverse order of removing the engine and transmission. Power steering fluid was topped off and the rear engine... brace was installed. Protip: When installing the rear brace, make sure the car is not on its wheels. The weight of the engine cause just enough flex in rear to make it impossible to get the brace in. :) That was it for the last weekend. Next up, clutch/brake fluid (the tool didn't arrive until Monday), coolant, the final part of the exhaust and misc panels. We are getting close!!

I was looking to this thread for guidance on doing my own clutch. Now i'm confused - first you say you don't need to pull the engine & trans out of the car to change the clutch but now the engine and trans are removed?

Arse. You can't get an e-gear motor out without the box. Ask me how I know.

Ok how do you know? :-)

but really, on another forum they show the engine separated enough from the transmission to change the clutch (on an egear). they removed the exhaust box, and crossbar support, and simply moved the engine into the space where the exhaust box was (but didn't lift engine out of the car).

If they moved the engine that far back, the frame had to be cut.

no, you remove the exhaust cover panel, and the exhaust ,and the crossbar that the cover panel bolts to, and you can move the engine into the area where the exhaust box used to be.