New Style Ignition Coilpacks for 2002-2003 Murcielagos!!!!

whiteout

If you own a Diablo 6.0 or 2002/2003 Murcielago you are probably aware of the ignition coilpack dilemma. These cars were the first to use coilpack ignitions after spark plug wires but before the use of VW/Audi coilpacks. Unfortunately, the Magneti Marelli coilpacks Lamborghini uses for these years are not without fault. The coilpacks allow water to enter the spark plug valleys which leads to corrosion of the spark plugs and coilpacks. The corrosion causes a weak spark, RPM hunting, and engine misfire. To top it off, one set of stock coilpacks is a scant $3,000.00 and chances are your local dealer doesn't have a complete set on hand. Unlike many other parts found on the Diablo and Murcielago, the coilpacks are not cross-referenced with any other car.

I was not willing to shell out $3,000 for Magneti Marelli 3 pin ignition coilpacks, so I decided to make a coilpack.

image_6_zps851e0271.jpeg

image_5_zps89465356.jpeg

Here's the low down on the White Out coilpack: 

1. Modified 3 pin coilpack body to fit Lamborghini head.

2. Spark plug boot to match the Magneti Marelli coil pack height and to act as a mount for the coilpack.

3. Rubber cover/lock to mount the coil pack to the Lamborghini head and keep water out of the spark plug valley.

4. Plug and play with stock Lamborghini wiring harness.

A quick rundown of the stock Magneti Marelli coilpack:

1. $250.00 each / $3,000.00 set.

2. Allows water to leak into the spark plug valley.

3. Prone to corrosion because of #2.

4. Known to physically fall apart.

5. Requires heavy grease to help keep moisture out of spark plug valley, which causes a mess.

6. Not all dealers keep them on hand, which means you wait for the parts to ship from Italy.

White Out vs. Magneti Marelli:

1. WO has a larger ignitor than MM.

2. To keep water out of the spark plug valley: WO has a fitted rigid rubber seal around the spark plug valley; MM has an o-ring inside the spark plug valley.

3. WO boot is more rigid and tighter around the spark plug than MM boot.

4. WO is coated to protect from corrosion, MM is not.

5. WO utilizes a modified coilpack body, so the plastic on the side of the coilpack head is scuffed plastic whereas MM is covered with a trim piece.

-- When placed next to each other, the MM unit looks nicer from a side view.

6. Mounting: WO uses the rigidity of the rubber seal and spark plug connection (similar to how VW/Audi mounts some 4 pin coilpacks). It is not as strong as the MM retaining clip. 

- Note: Every V12 Lamborghini before the Diablo 6.0 mounts the spark plug wires to the spark plugs without a retainig clip, like the WO coilpack.

- The chances of the WO coilpack coming loose is very unlikely (if you crash the car, chances are the coilpacks may be knocked loose).

- After 500 miles of driving, including horrible roads; buckled roads (like big speed bumps), massive pot holes, violent expansion joints, etc; the WO coilpacks did not come loose. 

I had some weak coilpacks in my car; the change in my car's driving characteristics are drastic since replacing the coilpacks. Results may vary, but here is what I've noticed over the past 500 miles of driving and one month of use:

- Start up is constant in sound/RPM.

- Car idle is constant; it doesn't fluctuate, even with a/c on or nose lift up.

- No low speed/low rpm hiccups.

- Power delivery is very linear, not jumpy, throughout the power band.

- The exhaust note is more clean.

- Less popping from the exhaust while engine breaking and between shifts.

- Less of a fuel smell while stopped and idling.

- MPG has increased.

- After taking my I took the car through an automated car wash, there was no water leaking past the rigid rubber seal into the spark plug valley. In contrat, when I took the car through an automated car wash with MM coilpacks, the spark plugs were submerged in water.

White Out coilpacks:

DSC_0002S_zpseec0240e-1_zps3cafbf9a.jpg

DSC_0005S_zpse8903328.jpg

image_zps3585f6b7.jpeg

The following two pictures are focused to make the scuffing look the worst:

DSC_0011_zpsfa32e4c0.jpg

DSC_0012_zpsa459bc9a.jpg

Used Magneti Marelli coilpacks:

DSC_0006s_zps213ce5b9.jpg

DSC_0007s_zpscac22a42.jpg

DSC_0008S_zps19a8d405.jpg

1366f4c7.jpg

White Out vs. Magneti Marelli:

image_2_zps3696f543.jpeg

image_3_zps2e67da38.jpeg

Difference in keeping water out of the valley:

DSC_0033S_zps8a8df439.jpg

Difference in ignitors (MM coilpack in the background spring is missing due to corrosion):

image_1_zps3392b397.jpeg

Car wash:

null_zps2bd886b0.jpg

With MM coilpacks, spark plugs are usually drowning, but with WO coilpacks they stay dry:

null_zps8487b220.jpg

Pricing:

Individually - $100.00

Set of 12 - $1,000.00

2-3 day domestic shipping included

3-5 day International shipping is an additional $50.00

You can purchase the White Out coilpacks by contacting me me or SP-Engineering. Since the coilpacks are produced on an as-needed basis, estimated time from order to shipping is one week.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide a warranty/guarantee of lifespan of the coilpacks since they have only been tested for one month and 500 miles. But hey, we're taking Lamborghini's here, that's like a year of driving for most cars.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick, I have now placed you right below Walter Payton and Jerry Rice on my all time Idol list.. Great job!

:icon_thumleft:

Thanks everyone!

Nick, I have now placed you right below Walter Payton and Jerry Rice on my all time Idol list.. Great job!

:icon_thumleft:

HAHAHA!!!

Whiteout, what's your phone number?

PM sent

Yeah, that was just for testing the seal strength.

I don't suggest doing it as it does blast the engine bay with high pressure water and soap. I had to go through the engine bay afterwards and soak up a lot of standing water in various areas.

If for some reason 1 or 2 of these new coilpacks failed, would it cause any damage to the engine?

I am thinking about doing this, but the couple of coilpacks i pulled and checked look nice and clean.

If one of these failed, it would be the same as if one of your stock coilpacks failed. You would get a misfire.

If your coilpacks are working properly, there won't be any difference in running these coilpacks. But if you get a weak coilpack, one that lets water into the spark plug valley, or one fails; then these will make a big difference.

Is there a way to test a coilpack to see if it is in good working order?

take coil pack out.. connect back to connector.. place finger over coil.. start engine.. if it shocks the living shit out of you it is good.. :icon_super: :jerry:

I wouldn't recommend this way. I am sure there is another way. Someone here more knowledgeable will probably chime in.

Good luck!

There are ways to test with OHM readers, or you can also inspect your spark plugs to see if there is a lot of unburnt fuel on them. But my general rule of thumb test is if you're getting hesitation, odd idle, poor mpg, or misfire (after replacing spark plugs); then you probably have a bad coil pack. Another tell tale give-away is if you have corroded/falling apart coil packs.

To give an idea of how much water the MM coilpack allows into the spark plug valley:

2.jpg

I had 3 spark plugs looking like that last year when i changed them, the new ones look probably the same by now.