E3 2013

PCow

Destiny looked like a blast!

Well Sony delivered and won. No DRM, no constant connectivity, no check-ins, and $399 w/ 500gb HD.

I'll be ordering mine the second it is available.

Best

They both delivered. Don't care about connectivity, I'm connected 100% of the time now. Same goes for used games, never bought one. Hundred dollar discount is nice, but as I said, rational adults own both...they don't limit themselves to one "team" or the other.

In the end, we all won. Definitely more impressive games on the Xbox side, but over time the stronger PS franchises will hopefully all migrate to the new machine. Good stuff all the way around, couldn't be happier with both entries.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Engadget says the PS4 Eye will be a $59 add on. Still cheaper than the xbone.

PS4 is also roughly 25% more powerful in terms of graphic capability @ 1.84 TFLOPS than the XBox One, though differences of that magnitude usually aren't very dramatic in actual game visuals.

Still worth noting though.

Damn RyanRo, you're already set! :icon_super:

Excited for both, PS4 most of all. I have been a Playstation guy since the original and owned them all so far. I'll get PS4, but perhaps not for a while. I don't have as much time for games as I used to with work and life but I still like playing when I can get some time.

That said, I am loyal with my purchases but I do not hate the Xbox at all. I always liked them too but chose to buy Playstation. The Xbox has always been a fun system and I'm looking forward to playing both next-gen consoles to see what each has to offer.

PS4 is also roughly 25% more powerful in terms of graphic capability @ 1.84 TFLOPS than the XBox One, though differences of that magnitude usually aren't very dramatic in actual game visuals.

Still worth noting though.

XboxONE makes up for the lack of processing power by throwing in the cloud computing.

Developers will be able to leverage the power of the cloud to make game world far more robust. By doing so, if frees up the resources on the console to worry about rendering the minute details and the processing the game play.

Both systems are going to be impressive in their own right. I will likely own both eventually, but I'm leaning towards PS4 for launch. I don't like the DRM stance that MS has taken. I have a hard time backing them on that, even though it really wont affect me much, other than sharing games with friends.

Is pre-ordering worth it? Will they be sold out for a good while after? I feel like I'm going to pre-order and still not get it on the day of.

I'd really like to boycott XB1 with the BS MS is pulling and I'm definitely rooting for the PS4 (I prefer 360 over PS3), however reality is I will probably just pick up both.

XboxONE makes up for the lack of processing power by throwing in the cloud computing.

Developers will be able to leverage the power of the cloud to make game world far more robust. By doing so, if frees up the resources on the console to worry about rendering the minute details and the processing the game play.

I'm not sure I believe the actual hype they're throwing on the cloud providing some extra rendering or processing power, but Turn 10 described in a cool way how they're using the cloud feature on Xbox One for their AI computer opponents in Forza 5.

Basically as you play your driving habits and tendencies on tracks are uploaded to your own "drivatar" which then is used as the basis of other people's AI drivers in their races. When your drivatar wins one of those races with a human opponent, you get the credits.

Unlike their previous "ghost" recordings, the actual drivatar is on the track live, along with drivatars from seven other people, for each single player race you attempt.

That's pretty cool actually, especially with how boring and predictable AI drivers have typically been on these consoles for the past decade in race games.

I'm curious how they'll leverage the fact that Kinect 2 is included in every box, meaning devs no longer have to fear they're spending money to develop Kinect-specific options or all-out products that only 5-10% of the installed user base would ever buy due to not having a Kinect.

It's powerful enough to do some pretty neat things now, compared to how anemic the first one was. We'll see how it pans out: http://gizmodo.com/kinect-2-full-video-wal...-like-509155673

The cloud computing is definitely VERY strong. We currently use it in non gaming capacities but I can tell you that out data transfer frequency is on par with gaming. It has exponentially increased our abilities, and created an entirely new job market for developers that can tie your systems to the cloud. I know that this will HEAVILY increase not only online gaming experience but single player as well. This will truly let us delve into the 'Next-Gen' platforms we have wanted for 7+ years.

Mine is ordered. When I ordered mine it did not give me an option to order the PS Move eye but said that in the next few weeks Sony would be releasing a plethora of PS move friendly devices like guns, martial arts weapons, sporting equipment, and racing accessories. I will probably preorder every game they have for launch which I believe will be around 10.

Also, a side note about the cloud. There will be several games that will be played in cloud even with single player (or will be if connected) making the ability to go from single player to multiplayer by literally running into your friends and selecting an option to join their game, or from an in game invite that will tell you their location so you can meet up with them. If that's not amazing to you, I don't know what to tell you. No more loading games, no more "This party is full", no more "The server is to busy, room closed". Just "I'm going to go punch hookers with my buddy Mako and maybe fly around the city". I can't wait.

Best

Wait... You wont be able to buy preowned games at gamestop on XBOX? And the console has to connect to the internet to play offline?

fcuk that....

Short microsoft they just pulled an iPhone 5.

The cloud computing is definitely VERY strong. We currently use it in non gaming capacities but I can tell you that out data transfer frequency is on par with gaming. It has exponentially increased our abilities, and created an entirely new job market for developers that can tie your systems to the cloud. I know that this will HEAVILY increase not only online gaming experience but single player as well. This will truly let us delve into the 'Next-Gen' platforms we have wanted for 7+ years.

Also, a side note about the cloud. There will be several games that will be played in cloud even with single player (or will be if connected) making the ability to go from single player to multiplayer by literally running into your friends and selecting an option to join their game, or from an in game invite that will tell you their location so you can meet up with them. If that's not amazing to you, I don't know what to tell you. No more loading games, no more "This party is full", no more "The server is to busy, room closed". Just "I'm going to go punch hookers with my buddy Mako and maybe fly around the city". I can't wait.

If MS can deliver on the hardware without screwing us all by going cheap (they claim "200,000" servers for the cloud...probably $1 GoDaddy virtual shared servers knowing MS... :icon_mrgreen: ), then it will truly be an impressive feature for sure. Looking forward to seeing how devs tap into and harness the capabilities as time passes.

Wait... You wont be able to buy preowned games at gamestop on XBOX? And the console has to connect to the internet to play offline?

fcuk that....

Short microsoft they just pulled an iPhone 5.

The blogosphere of young starbucks-infused hipsters that cover these events is waving the anti-DRM flag at MS, but here is the exact policy from MS themselves, which says in a nutshell "it's up to the individual game publishers":

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

So if say EA or Activision says "fcuk you used gamer" then you will not be able to give away or buy/sell used games from those publishers.

Ironically, at Sony's presser yesterday they went to great lengths to take advantage of this weakness for MS on this issue, but today they clarified exactly what they were referring to, and it's the identical MS policy of leaving the yes/no of allowing used games up to the individual game publishers to determine, just as MS is:

http://www.gamefront.com/sony-third-party-...mes-online-only

So it's a little bit of distortion at the moment, one you'd think MS would be working to correct...but they're a bureaucratic machine that's so top heavy with upper management that they're about as light on their feet as a glacier...

Bottom line: If EA, or anyone else, wants to fcuk you on used games on either the PS4 or Xbox One...you're fucked. If they don't, you're not. :icon_mrgreen:

If MS can deliver on the hardware without screwing us all by going cheap (they claim "200,000" servers for the cloud...probably $1 GoDaddy virtual shared servers knowing MS... :icon_mrgreen: ), then it will truly be an impressive feature for sure. Looking forward to seeing how devs tap into and harness the capabilities as time passes.

LOL, I literally snorted. That was spot on! Im hoping for great things from Sony. MS hasn't had my business since my wife told me RockBand would not jump start my career.

Best

1. The Division - Looks AMAZING, and i love the concept. I hope this comes to PC, as i'm not much of a console gamer.

2. Watch Dogs - Same as Mako said, it could be good. Interesting concept and COULD be good, i have my suspicions.

3. Battlefield 4 - Always a die-hard Battlefield gamer myself. This one looks great with the wide-open maps and destruction.

4. The Crew - Could be the next fun, i'll be interested to see how it pans out.

I hate using the word "epic" but this game looks freaking amazing,

Doesn't it? The "Shanghai" demo of BF4 that EA showed during their press conference actually got me excited as hell. When that building went down...sweeeeeeet. :icon_mrgreen:

whats with all the hysteria about the kinect has to always be connected and on for xbox to work?

and its always listening?

can record image at any time?

I wonder how easy that will be to hack?

whats with all the hysteria about the kinect has to always be connected and on for xbox to work?

and its always listening?

can record image at any time?

I wonder how easy that will be to hack?

That's the concern in a nutshell, that either the Government (with MS' cooperation) will be provided with some sort of access to the device in your home (law enforcement/homeland security), or that malicious individuals will find a way in for their own nefarious pursuits.

The Kinect can be disconnected/turned-off right after the system is powered on to defend against this practice, but it must be present for that initial 2-3 second boot-up sequence.

That's the concern in a nutshell, that either the Government (with MS' cooperation) will be provided with some sort of access to the device in your home (law enforcement/homeland security), or that malicious individuals will find a way in for their own nefarious pursuits.

The Kinect can be disconnected/turned-off right after the system is powered on to defend against this practice, but it must be present for that initial 2-3 second boot-up sequence.

fcuk. THAT. SHIT.

fcuk. THAT. SHIT.

Yeah it's pretty scary stuff really. But no more scary to me than say the privacy we appear to have involuntarily given away via our cell phone carriers (tap in to texts and voice at any time for any reason), our computers (inputting our socials on applications for banking/insurance/healthcare/etc), our "private" Facebook profiles, and the rest of our connected lives. :eusa_wall:

All of it just absolutely sucks.