Do you have to pay "sticker" price for a high priced watch?

05LSV

Just curious. I'm looking at a Hublot. I've found it online and in shops for around the same price, but is there a deal to be had? Or do I just have to pay the price that it's marked? How does that work with watches?

Just curious. I'm looking at a Hublot. I've found it online and in shops for around the same price, but is there a deal to be had? Or do I just have to pay the price that it's marked? How does that work with watches?

In my limited experience, authorized brick and mortar stores have contractual floor price points set by manufacturer. Online is lower, but you get charged extra for an OEM warranty card stamped by an auth dealer.

Case in point, I bought a limited edition William Baume watch (baume & mercier) from a NY dealer online for $2k or 3k less than brick and mortar store offer. For a legit warranty card I paid another $500. Still a better deal but some hassle involved.

In my limited experience, authorized brick and mortar stores have contractual floor price points set by manufacturer. Online is lower, but you get charged extra for an OEM warranty card stamped by an auth dealer.

Case in point, I bought a limited edition William Baume watch (baume & mercier) from a NY dealer online for $2k or 3k less than brick and mortar store offer. For a legit warranty card I paid another $500. Still a better deal but some hassle involved.

Thanks for the reply and info. What % off sticker did the $2-3k discount come out to? I guess I'm asking what your watch cost. lol.

Thanks for the reply and info. What % off sticker did the $2-3k discount come out to? I guess I'm asking what your watch cost. lol.

Msrp was $13900 I think. Was a william baume retrograde in rose gold I bought in 2009 for $10900. Website was goldwatches.com. warranty card came from L. Simpson & Co. I think it was just a few hundred and not 400 or 500 l.

I have had the watch in for factory service w no problems.

How about when you buy in the Carribean or Mexico or on a Cruise? There's no tax. Are these grey market?

In my limited experiences it really depends on the watch, brand, and how hot it is. Had you tried to buy an RBII ti new, you would have to be on the preorder list just to pay MSRP. Hublot, I would flight for a deal, they don't seem like they are going to blow up in value like the special AP stuff. Patek, RM, and even rallies really vary from watch to watch.

I just had a dealer who I've bought 2 watches from in the past give me a price that is $5k over what I can get the watch for online.

It's a Hublot King Power.

How about when you buy in the Carribean or Mexico or on a Cruise? There's no tax. Are these grey market?

I'm in Cabo again in about 3 weeks so I'll check there again when I go. Last month they only had 44mm Big Bangs. No King Powers at all.

I'm in Cabo again in about 3 weeks so I'll check there again when I go. Last month they only had 44mm Big Bangs. No King Powers at all.

David,

I've found the best deals in St.Maarten. No tax and no duty.

~20-30% off.

If you ever get down to SOBE it might be worth a quick flight over :)

Cheers

Jeff

P.S I think Westime in La Jolla has a King Power in stock.

Thanks Jeff. Never been to St Maarten, but it's on the list.

I'll check out Westime. Tourneau in Fashion Valley has a bunch of them too, but they too much for the one I want - about $8k over what they are going for online.

Thanks Jeff. Never been to St Maarten, but it's on the list.

I'll check out Westime. Tourneau in Fashion Valley has a bunch of them too, but they too much for the one I want - about $8k over what they are going for online.

Tourneau always seems more expensive. I have gotten 5 watches from them as gifts bc they are local and always beat on them on price.

I might have a hookup for you. Ill text you details once I confirm info.

I might have a hookup for you. Ill text you details once I confirm info.

Awesome. Keep me posted. If I can get a deal, I might be able to go for it.

I payed under list on all my Hublots, great watches, love mine!

How much under? 10%? 20%?

I would look at an AP ROO if I were you, especially for this kind of money. Also since they are rather similar looking.

Hublot is a fashion brand, they make good looking watches but they aren't on the same level quality wise, heritage, the movements being used etc. as AP.

You'll get more watch for your money at AP than at Hublot.

I get great deals from Jewels in St Thomas. Fedex overnight shipping and full warranty etc. Let me know if you want a name/info to check prices.

I would look at an AP ROO if I were you, especially for this kind of money. Also since they are rather similar looking.

Hublot is a fashion brand, they make good looking watches but they aren't on the same level quality wise, heritage, the movements being used etc. as AP.

You'll get more watch for your money at AP than at Hublot.

I understand. The only problem is I don't like the way the $25-30k AP's look. The case is too big and the crystal too small, so it gives the illusion of a smaller watch when compared side by side to the 48mm Hublot.

I get great deals from Jewels in St Thomas. Fedex overnight shipping and full warranty etc. Let me know if you want a name/info to check prices.

That would be great. Can you PM me?