4.2 vs 5.2

MOUNTAINWOLF

I have been shopping hard for an R8 lately. I was only considering the 5.2, but I would like to hear from some who have spent time in both. I realize most everyone would prefer the 5.2, but if you were going to drive the car A LOT, maybe as a DD, would that change your preference ?

I've had time in both, I was surprised by the V8, I expected it to feel like a total dog but it felt decent, it was an R tronic, so that part sucked, especially for a DD... The v10 I drove was a 6 speed manual, it was awesome.... but I wouldn't want to be shifting manually as a DD....

then there is the new V10 plus, which should be perfect..... DCT and all the power... :)

I have been shopping hard for an R8 lately. I was only considering the 5.2, but I would like to hear from some who have spent time in both. I realize most everyone would prefer the 5.2, but if you were going to drive the car A LOT, maybe as a DD, would that change your preference ?

i drove the r8 v8 on the track. it was a total dog. i would floor the gas in many parts of the track, including coming out of corners. i also drove the RS5 on the same day, which felt more powerful (and it is) but not as planted.

in conclusion, don't buy the v8 if you plan to go on track or sunday drives with exotics. you will have to push the car hard to keep up. as a daily that sees occasional spirit runs, it will do fine.

i think it's worth it going for a v10 if budget allows. the warranty should cover your worries about DD cost. maintenance is not that much more for v10.

RS5 = utter crap

R8 V8 is a big meh, looks dated with the bumpers and red interior lights makes it feel extra meh

R8 V10 is the one to have, be sure to go R-Tronic even if it sucks the manual is ten times more sucky, Iäve had several and it is the best car out there bang of the buck

If you want to cough up the cash for a DD, go with a new one with S-Tronic = the perfect exotic

FYI, S tronic is available on all R8 2014 models. There is no R tronic anymore starting 2014 model year.

What about the RS5 that you don't like? It's more power than R8 V8. Handling isn't near R8 level but it's abt $40k less. It did well on track for me.

FYI, S tronic is available on all R8 2014 models. There is no R tronic anymore starting 2014 model year.

What about the RS5 that you don't like? It's more power than R8 V8. Handling isn't near R8 level but it's abt $40k less. It did well on track for me.

I do like the RS5, but it doesn't quite do it for me like the R8 does. It is more of a styling thing than a performance thing. I seem to get a particular car in my mind, and only that car will do.

I do like the RS5, but it doesn't quite do it for me like the R8 does. It is more of a styling thing than a performance thing. I seem to get a particular car in my mind, and only that car will do.

Yeah, I understand! My point is about R8 V8's power (or lack of). Best wishes in your search!!

R8 GT is gone? not avail with the DCT?

They have something called R8 Plus, not as raw as the R8 GT, the GT is gone, limited number, all sold out.

The RS5 is a heavy slouch. A very nice looking A5, that's it. It guzzles gas like there is no tomorrow and is boring to drive. I hated that car.

Buy a M3 DKG and save the cash instead if you want to go that route.

R8 with a broken engine and rust > RS5

• 1 year later...

I had the chance to drive the 2008 R8 V8 manual shift from a friend multiple times on the street. That car is awsome.

May be the engine is light for the track but frankly, why take a $100K car to the track when you can get a 700hp rice rocket for way cheaper?. This is more of a DD or frequent driver. I tried on the hiway but the best drive was on curvyback roads. The car is light and on rails.

For the price i think the V8 is a better value than the v10 but I would have to drive the v10 to be sure. That said, for me, I can do enough damage to my license with a V8 and you dont have to deal with a lambo engine for every day use.

so 1 year later what did the Op chose?

Agree with most of the above. Buddy has the R8 v8 and I've driven it around town and on the highway. I prefer the v10 all day long, not matter what road you're on, but it's a fun car. I haven't had the R8 on the track.

And I agree with Transamera above too - the RS5 sucks. I don't know (or care) about gas mileage, but my wife's SL550 feels faster, so I'm not going to drop $75k on an A5 with ground effects anytime soon...

And I agree with Transamera above too - the RS5 sucks. I don't know (or care) about gas mileage, but my wife's SL550 feels faster, so I'm not going to drop $75k on an A5 with ground effects anytime soon...

Want to know something funny? My loaner car untill my new car arrives is, jupp, a RS5... A sepangblue hunk of shit, hate it.

Want to know something funny? My loaner car untill my new car arrives is, jupp, a RS5... A sepangblue hunk of shit, hate it.

Sepang is a sweet color tho! ;) Whats the new ride?

I street drove a V8 with a six-speed and a bit and really enjoyed the car. Granted, I could see if you are DDing the manual shifting could be a chore if you experience lots of traffic. But the convertible was a fun ride while it lasted.