Resurrecting Jalpa #359

Kerplop

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are a very brave man, I can't wait to see the after!

It's just dirty, and years of not being touched. To be honest, my 944 looked pretty similar when I cracked it open. Everything looked bad, but cleaned up just fine. Will start tearing into it later this week.

Looking good, I think you might need a new clutch....

:)

Did you get a good description on how the machinist pulled the cams?

He has a few different methods he is going to try since he doesn't have the factory tool. Plan #1 is to try one of the depressors he has that is sort of a "one application fits all" (though I suspect it's probably more limited than it sounds), the other method he is considering is machining a few shims, rotate the cams and when the valve is fully depressed, put the shim under it, then rotate the cam and keep doing that to each valve. The shims will keep them open, and the cam can be removed. So basically "forking" the valves open. We'll see how it goes.

Keep up the great work! Your thread has gotten me interested in Jalpa's again!

Thanks! :) I'm loving working on this car. It has been a hell of a cool experience.

There is a guy over on VLG that is selling Jalpa valve shims, FYI

Will check it out, thanks for the heads up.

• 2 weeks later...
Tool purchased and will be shipped out today. My machinist will be stoked about that.

Nice, looking forward to some pictures if you can snap them off, also there were shims available too on fleabay.

happy new year, keep the posts coming....

Finally showed up. Super stoked!

qUqzgGS.jpg

Cleaned up the paint a bit last night. The car came to me pretty damn dirty and crap all over it. Since it was cold as hell and I didn't feel like freezing my ass off, I turned my heater on and cleaned up the paint. Gave it a nice buff job. Paint is pretty good underneath. Obvious repaint though.

6J7OuuJ.jpg

4QxsEZX.jpg

B466zmq.jpg

That looks really good.

Thanks! Paint is certainly not perfect, however. But I am overall pretty happy with it. I gotta say, I love the ebay jalpa that was pearl white that sold not long ago. if I repainted my car, I would have a hard time deciding to go all white again, or pearl white.

that first pic of the paint, i thought for sure you broke in to my garage and took a picture. my car is the same white, on the same side of the garage, behind a similar set of shelves and parked on bare concrete. made me smile.

that first pic of the paint, i thought for sure you broke in to my garage and took a picture. my car is the same white, on the same side of the garage, behind a similar set of shelves and parked on bare concrete. made me smile.

LOL!

I just realized your name is Derek, too. Same model, same color, same names.

Hi, I'm a newby here, I've been following this thread for a while; I'm just curious, did "your broker" tell you that this car was in Hurricane Sandy and was flooded? I hope he disclosed that, or you may have gotten ripped off...

Hi, I'm a newby here, I've been following this thread for a while; I'm just curious, did "your broker" tell you that this car was in Hurricane Sandy and was flooded? I hope he disclosed that, or you may have gotten ripped off...

Judging by the level of restoration this baby is undergoing it could have been sunk with the Titanic and it will probably still turn out better than new!

Judging by the level of restoration this baby is undergoing it could have been sunk with the Titanic and it will probably still turn out better than new!

:iamwithstupid:

Ya, I agree. No better person to buy this car than someone who is totally rebuilding it. I'm just asking from the perspective that I hope the flood information was disclosed prior to kerplop purchasing the car, and also that he didn't pay too much for it under false pretenses. I know the car from two owners prior to the middle man (the broker) getting his hands on it, and I also know how much it was for sale for. I'm asking this because the second to last owner had it for sale for ALOT of money and actually had the guts to hide the fact that the car was in a flood. When I called him out on it, he disappeared into obscurity. So seeing the car in this forum now only leads me to believe that either 1) that seller eventually got his money and ripped someone off majorly, or 2) he disclosed the flood history and lowered the price accordingly when he sold it to the next owner (who I'm pretty sure was a car flipper as well)....

If the buyer and seller were satisfied with the transaction that's all that matters, this car will be better than new, financial reward is one aspect but Kerplop is fulfilling a life long dream, you can't put a price in that!

The details were indeed disclosed to me. However, given the progress of the car thus far, the car does not scare me.

:iamwithstupid:

Your support means worlds to me. I honestly felt that if the first way I brought up, "Hey guys you aren't gonna believe where I found this car" that no one would take me seriously. However, given that some time has gone by, and that the community can clearly see I'm serious about restoring it, I suppose I may as well acknowledge that yes, tom999q is correct on the history of the car.

Ya, I agree. No better person to buy this car than someone who is totally rebuilding it. I'm just asking from the perspective that I hope the flood information was disclosed prior to kerplop purchasing the car, and also that he didn't pay too much for it under false pretenses. I know the car from two owners prior to the middle man (the broker) getting his hands on it, and I also know how much it was for sale for. I'm asking this because the second to last owner had it for sale for ALOT of money and actually had the guts to hide the fact that the car was in a flood. When I called him out on it, he disappeared into obscurity. So seeing the car in this forum now only leads me to believe that either 1) that seller eventually got his money and ripped someone off majorly, or 2) he disclosed the flood history and lowered the price accordingly when he sold it to the next owner (who I'm pretty sure was a car flipper as well)....

Now, there are some interesting bits in here I didn't hear about (particularly the car attempting to be sold high, and then the owner disappearing). Sounds like there has been some interesting history on this particular bit. I was told what happened to the car, and my car broker runs a restoration shop in jersey. So I'm not sure if we're talking the same people or not. According to the history I've found on the car, 2 owners ago would have been potentially the original owner, or the owner right after the original owner. However, I don't know if that's the case. Everything I can find points to the car at some point having dealer plates or something, and the only reason I found out about it is through Ultrasmith showing the car being gone through years ago.

If you have any more info on the car I would very much appreciate it. Rest assured, while there is a sucker born every minute, I'm not one of them, nor did I get ripped off on the price :)

financial reward is one aspect but Kerplop is fulfilling a life long dream, you can't put a price in that!

Boom, there it is :)

On a side note: I have an appointment at 10am tomorrow to drop the valve depressors I snagged off ebay to my machinist. He says the heads are lookin' great.