Resurrecting Jalpa #359

Kerplop

Those internals do look great. Not what they found in mine. I think you got a car with a good heart. Just not a looker.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those internals do look great. Not what they found in mine. I think you got a car with a good heart. Just not a looker.

Yeah, so far. Curious to see how the combustion chambers look. Hopefully just as good but we'll know soon. Specialty tools on the way.

Didn't you say yours had a weird water pump issue? I suppose I shouldn't say "weird" as after doing a lot of searching, water pump issues seem to be a common topic.

i have one draw of the ANSA SPORT exahust

if you want it, please e mail me

it is not big but may be usefull to see if the mounts are the same as in US cars

Hi Emilio,

For now I am going to see how the car sounds stock. I want to experience what a stock Jalpa sounds like for the first time. Should I decide I want a louder or more sporty exhaust, I will go for the ANSA Sport Exhaust. My primary goal right now is finding all the stuff I need to get it back in good shape, get the engine apart and inspect, toss it back together and go drive it.

The used exhaust showed up today. Wayyyyyyyyyy better shape, and it's not nearly as bulky (or heavy). Already tried putting the header on, fits just fine. Ahhhhh that feels much better. You'll note the end of the old header is uhhhhh missing. Because it just... kinda... broke in half.

xruXpVP.jpg

7r0HVAf.jpg

Hi Emilio,

For now I am going to see how the car sounds stock. I want to experience what a stock Jalpa sounds like for the first time. Should I decide I want a louder or more sporty exhaust, I will go for the ANSA Sport Exhaust. My primary goal right now is finding all the stuff I need to get it back in good shape, get the engine apart and inspect, toss it back together and go drive it.

sorry but it i think is my poor english faults this time...

what i meant is that i had this drawing from ANSA catalog for the SPORT version at home

and if you wanted to see it, to remind me to look for it by e mail

aniway this time my memory served and i scanned it today :)

it is not big image but i thought it may be could help you to see connections and mounting points and see if they are the same as yours

please take a look

post-4328-1404407481_thumb.jpg

The used exhaust showed up today. Wayyyyyyyyyy better shape, and it's not nearly as bulky (or heavy). Already tried putting the header on, fits just fine. Ahhhhh that feels much better. You'll note the end of the old header is uhhhhh missing. Because it just... kinda... broke in half.

xruXpVP.jpg

7r0HVAf.jpg

and these look to me :

- stock EURO headers

- stock EURO silencer

and these look to me :

- stock EURO headers

- stock EURO silencer

Yep! :)

Wiring ends arrived today. Giving this harness the treatment. One wire at a time.

Cl94Lv0h.jpg

Crimp crimp crimp. Solder solder solder. Clip clip clip.

op4F0Vf.jpg

This one is done. Resistance all good.

X4QQO0Uh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Further into the disassembly. Looking good so far.

Smx90hcl.jpg

The teeth show little to no wear. (Sorry for the dirt up above)

SxEtVLbl.jpg

More teeth showing good wear.

JXXS7Tql.jpg

Timing chain near as I can tell looks great. No rust, no bad marks, I feel pretty good so far..

lCH4qI1l.jpg

Also, worth mentioning.... I CAN'T GET THE F*CKING WATER PUMP OFF. Holy freaking crap whoever was in this engine last sealed it up with a mixture of gasket and adhesive. Anyone have any "tricks" to getting the pump off? All nuts are off of it, and near as I can tell it should just lift up, but it is not even moving or budging and I DO NOT want to break it. As well, the retaining ring that holds the supply tube into the pump appears to be... uhhhh... "sealed" in there. It's like someone put some adhesive in there or grease or something. It simply will not budge. Is this something commonly seen? I broke a decent pair of ring pliers trying to get the stupid thing out.

Also, worth mentioning.... I CAN'T GET THE F*CKING WATER PUMP OFF. Holy freaking crap whoever was in this engine last sealed it up with a mixture of gasket and adhesive. Anyone have any "tricks" to getting the pump off? All nuts are off of it, and near as I can tell it should just lift up, but it is not even moving or budging and I DO NOT want to break it. As well, the retaining ring that holds the supply tube into the pump appears to be... uhhhh... "sealed" in there. It's like someone put some adhesive in there or grease or something. It simply will not budge. Is this something commonly seen? I broke a decent pair of ring pliers trying to get the stupid thing out.

Not normal. I took the bolts off, and with a little tug, it came right off. If you are right about the glue and sealer, I would do what you are doing and try to loosen that stuff up. My pump pretty much just lifted strait off.

Be very careful. One of the alternator brackets was broken off of mine and in a rough reassembly, the housing was cracked. That thing is not very tough.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the rest of the aftermarket harness out of the interior and the trunk area so I can sort through that. Since I needed to remove the carpet to do all of that, I tore out the old stuff and the padding so I can just go through it and make it fresh. Years of discoloration, worn pieces from the previous owner, etc. Took the trunk down to bare metal "while I'm in there" and will seal it up tomorrow. Not sure if I want to put in dynamat instead of that old insulation type stuff. I may just use some modern day materials. Already bought a few rolls of nice interior carpet.

Also VERY carefully removed one of the antennas on the car. The other is bolted on, but one of them was simply using an adhesive pad on the top. I'll need to make a blockoff plate (painted the color of the car or something) or maybe out of carbon to do it. Not sure yet. It was the giant gargantuan silly looking one. The other one is very small and I can deal with it for now.

Still can't get the effing waterpump off today. I know some of the seal is loosening because some coolant came out of the sides. I'm taking my time, using kroil and spraying and giving it a try once a day. I do not want to break the damn thing since it's cast aluminum, so I'm just taking it slowly.

Also worked on the harness a bit more the other night. Too pooped today. Did a lot of little stuff and just want to relax for now. Pics later.

• 3 weeks later...

Friend of mine came down from Portland for the brewfest we have. We had too many tasty beverages, then woke up early to work on the Lambo. He's a giant car fanatic and has a few interesting projects of his own going on but he didn't want to pass up the chance to work on the Jalpa.

Together we were finally able to get the damn water pump off. FINALLY FINALLY. I found out why it was so stuck.... this engine has been gone into before! As I'm getting all the gaskets off and out of the engine, I'm finding an ungodly amount of RTV Silicone on top of the gaskets. For some reason whoever did it last decided to use some silicone of sorts which has turned into total gum and just become sludge. There are leaks all over this engine and the gaskets are being a PAIN to get off. However, regardless, I am still making excellent progress. Worse comes to worse I can always resort to Ducati gasket sealant (basically a gasket paste made for aluminum parts, used it on my Ducati for years on and and that shit is awesome).

The water pump was sort of glued to the gasket, it was incredibly odd and we were afraid of snapping it but gave it a few more pries (careful not to damage the surface) and it FINALLY came up.

From there we proceeded to tear down the rest of the front of the engine. I am now at the point where I can tear into the heads. :eusa_dance: :icon_super:

These water pumps are MASSIVE. Clean inside, looks fine. But all the engine parts need a bath. Will definitely get them ran through an acid bath/citrus bath at a local machine shop when the time comes.

20140816_1245321.jpg

Years and years of crap that has sat in the crevasses of the engine. The interior looks clear, but all the dirt and crap fell into it as the pump was coming off. Unacceptable for a Lamborghini IMO. Should be clean and immaculate in there.

20140816_1245391.jpg

My buddy thomas wanted to give a go at the gears for the timing chain.

20140816_1400141.jpg

Picture of the chains removed (likely will leave the guides/guards in)

20140816_1503251.jpg

Picture of the chain sprockets removed. Cams are ready to come out almost.

20140816_1503291.jpg

More bare cam exterior

20140816_1503341.jpg

One more pic of the sprockets in a bit better lighting.

20140816_1503421.jpg

Once we got the entire front casing off with the timing chain assembly we were both pretty stoked.

20140816_1510481.jpg

What the front of a Jalpa motor looks like with no timing chain assembly. Don't you love those leaks? Damn. Glad I bought gasket sets for this engine.

20140816_1525291.jpg

All the sorted parts. Labeled, numbered, sealed from exterior contaminants.

20140816_1526351.jpg

One more of the timing chain cover and assembly.

20140816_1527351.jpg

Hurray for more stuff being done. It was hot as hell, I took a quick pic of me next to it and I was done for the day. That's good progress for the day.

20140816_1528351.jpg

Glad it's you and not me doing that kind of work......

Part fun, part bitch.

Glad it's you and not me doing that kind of work......

Part fun, part bitch.

The pump was really the biggest pain. The rest is a breeze (so far). There is a few interesting ways to get the chain bits off the engine. The workshop manual is kind of helpful and also not at the same time. There are some things that are a 1 sentence explanation on how to do something. Others have a simple diagram. Some things aren't mentioned at all and you just end up doing them the best you can. Not too big of a deal though, most of it thus far has been fairly intuitive. Just somewhat of a challenge with some things with the amount of RTV sealant on things. Bolts are a pain, etc.

I will need to fabricate something to press down the tappets so the cams can slide out. That shouldn't be too bad though.

• 2 weeks later...

Working on stripping down the interior to reseal it. While I was at it I went ahead and bagged the seats with some nice leather lotion. The results were great and they feel soft and supple once again. Will do one more treatment. They turned out pretty great!

sfSgyok.jpg

Wow before I read your post I thought you had the seat reupholstered, looking good!

Nope, they were just grungy and dirty. This is one of the early photos of the seats after the first cleaning. Now on treatment #3. Will give them one more bagged for several days and get them where I want them. They are cleaning up so incredibly well.

DSC_0154.jpg

Working on stripping down the interior to reseal it. While I was at it I went ahead and bagged the seats with some nice leather lotion. The results were great and they feel soft and supple once again. Will do one more treatment. They turned out pretty great!

sfSgyok.jpg

wow man, that looks totally outstanding. What product are you using?