Resurrecting Jalpa #359

Kerplop

JPegs brings up a good point. I think realistically you would be able to find a buyer since someone will surely appreciate that it is modernized. You may get less money selling it that way but you also may spend less to make it that way. I'm not up to date enough on people who have modernized the countach systems and how that played into costs to do them and then cost to sell so someone else on here will surely have some better insight.

Well, the common stuff I see people have posted on various forums in the past are:

- Rebuilt the engine with modern materials (no one seems to care)

- Upgraded ignition to MSD (original ECU box is around $5k and MSD seems to be a huge upgrade for performance)

- Fuel system update with different materials and lines + heat shield to avoid potential fires

- Update engine mounts (seems preferable that the originals are not left in there lol)

- list goes on...

These are all simple things. Although, the downside I can see with a car with a tuneable system is:

"I have no idea how this system works." with the only option to bring the car to someone who understands standalone systems. I can tell you that it's not super common that a carb shop is going to know how to work on a megasquirt car, and not all dyno shops will know how. So this means it would need to be handled by either me at this point and I would be on my own, and that any future owners would also have that to deal with.

Sort of just a pondering.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ITB = individual throttle bodies is the way to go. Very cool. But, always keep every single original part.

As far a value, it's kind of irrelevant. It's 20,30,40k car. When they get to the 70,80,100k mark down the road those original parts will be key to its value.

As long as modification can be reserved.

ITB = individual throttle bodies is the way to go. Very cool. But, always keep every single original part.

As far a value, it's kind of irrelevant. It's 20,30,40k car. When they get to the 70,80,100k mark down the road those original parts will be key to its value.

As long as modification can be reserved.

I've rid most of the old Porsche parts in my garage to make room on the shelf for Jalpa parts. So keeping parts to revert shouldn't be hard.

So what I'm hearing is.... :icon_twisted:

neat project, good you are doing this.

one thing to think about is getting rid of those cumbersome steel air boxes. You will find it very hard to adjust those carbs, and the boxes mute the wonderful sound of the webers.

Those boxes hold the linkage, i engineered a plate system underneath the carbs to hold the linkage supports. You wont be able to find the euro air boxes (I bought the last pair), but there are a few other systems that will work. Documentation of this is over on the other lamborghini site....

Geno

Jalpa HLA12345

I concur 100% With Peter K..

The Jalpa is not a very collectable car at present or in the 7 years I have owned mine. I would probably get about what I paid for it today as I did when I bought it (about $33,000). I have more than $70,000 into it and maybe bumped my value up a couple thousand at best.

I have heard tale that Jalpa prices are going up a little, but have yet to see evidence of that.

I have only seen or heard of one all original mint condition Jalpa. It was for sale a few years ago. Advertised primarily as a show only car.

With the low relative value and very slow climb, I think collectors look elsewhere. The people who are interested in the Jalpa seem to be tinkerers and folks who want an exciting, beautiful and unique car to drive. Key word DRIVE. Practically every owner makes changes and tweaks to make the car more reliable. Since it is not much of a collectible, most of us seem go with what is best for the car.

What all would be involved with running ITBs

Standalone ECU, fabricating a fuel rail (unless I can find a DCNF ITB setup with them built in), electronic fuel pump, wire up injectors and of course, some sort of hall sensor as a trigger (easy). Aside from that, temp sensors to monitor coolant and air temp. Aside from that, I would just need to figure out linkage.

Although, I would still like to keep the air boxes and see no reason that wouldn't be possible with ITBs, since the function of the air duct is functional.

The air boxes are a major pain. I took mine off, much better access. Of course you could keep the air boxes with the fuel injection if you wish. I like the fuel injection idea with the crank trigger ignition. Like mentioned, save the parts whatever route you go. Have you bought a copy of the Urraco engine manual? It's terrible, but the only source that I know of.

I absolutely love the ITB look and would love to do that ok a car some time. Seems like people say they are a pain to tune and keep running right but maybe that is old info I saw.

I assume the boxes would hide it......which partially defeats the purpose, no? right, exposed stacks?

I'm just trying to picture it in my head.......but my head is too cold with a wind chill of 10 below :)

Someone post a picture of what this set up would look like or similar to.

Standalone ECU, fabricating a fuel rail (unless I can find a DCNF ITB setup with them built in), electronic fuel pump, wire up injectors and of course, some sort of hall sensor as a trigger (easy). Aside from that, temp sensors to monitor coolant and air temp. Aside from that, I would just need to figure out linkage.

Man, that sounds like a pain in the ass…..

Man, that sounds like a pain in the ass…..

Not sure if you're serious. If so, it's not as difficult as you'd think. With something like megasquirt, it's pretty easy. You realistically just need a trigger point. Hall sensor pickups are easy, the fuel pump is a piece of cake. The largest issue I ran into when I did the 924 on megasquirt was getting the ITBs setup and finding a fuel pump and injectors that would work. Odd as it may sound, I basically bought a honda fuel system and then bought the pump, injectors and regulator necessary. The pump and regulator is good for up to 400hp so I won't ever need to upgrade that.

There doesn't need to be a specific pump, you just need to figure out how much power you want to make it for, setup pressure, it's not all that super crazy.

I think people are intimidated by fuel injection sometimes either because, "Look at all of the wires!" which is what I commonly hear, or, "It requires a computer to tune and carbs are easier." which I also hear. But realistically, the beautiful thing is that you can plug it in and look at everything the entire system is reading and it's far more precise. Carbs are easy indeed, but I think it would be nice to dial it in on a dyno or diagnose it etc.

I assume the boxes would hide it......which partially defeats the purpose, no? right, exposed stacks?

I'm just trying to picture it in my head.......but my head is too cold with a wind chill of 10 below :)

Someone post a picture of what this set up would look like or similar to.

The purpose would not be for looks but for efficiency. Don't get me wrong, exposed stacks look cool. But a functional duct rushing air into a plenum in which the velocity stacks are taking it in would be more efficient than taking in hot engine bay air. I actually am curious what the dyno difference would be if people removed the air boxes vs having them on stock for stock. I would actually think you'd make less due to hotter air. Then again, with the air filter in the way, it could restrict it so there's that too. I think a different filter setup would be more beneficial.

I read all this technical stuff and I'm like......

post-22919-1389594550.gif

Haha, I'm doing all this work on my car and I don't even really follow it either. I was going to find a gif of something flying over someone's head the other day to post in here. I'm learning but still out of my grasp.

More wire purging today. Removing what seems to be the rest of the previous owner wiring. Seems every time I think I'm done, I find more.

Maybe I've missed it, sorry, but is the engine running?

No. Hasn't run in quite a good while.

Oh, I hope you will get it to run without any major issues.

I'll figure it out. :)

That's the spirit, I can not wait to see it ready!

Thanks my friend. Tomorrow I'll dump the box of "bullshit" out in the driveway and take a pic. I think you'll be blown away at how much aftermarket wiring is in this car. I plan on refinishing the harness and then wiring things up my way.