Engine Out and Refresh!

Chipster

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White car with red leather and white piping is stunning!

Thanks! The only other upgrade im considering at some point would be alcantara interior...would stick with red but was thinking to do black stitching and piping. On the fence though but it wouldnt happen till next winter at best.

Chip

yea it was the "socket board" that the relays plug into the female metal sockets in that board were

failing on mine ( not really corroding ) but loosening up and etching as a result

this in turn caused issues with radiator fans

i too started with a head gasket and it went from there

you have to be a contortionist to work on that bow when the engine is in and i tried so when the engine came out i addressed it

have fun

Chip

yea it was the "socket board" that the relays plug into the female metal sockets in that board were

failing on mine ( not really corroding ) but loosening up and etching as a result

this in turn caused issues with radiator fans

i too started with a head gasket and it went from there

you have to be a contortionist to work on that bow when the engine is in and i tried so when the engine came out i addressed it

have fun

Thanks! Im pretty sure everything is good but i will check again before engine goes in. Only radiator fan issue i had was related to a lose connection of the power wire right at the fan.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, he is still working to get it done. Seems to keep getting pushed to the backburner for other projects. Although, in his defense, it did take a while to find the Molykote stuff. Supposed to have it done by the end of this week. So I'm HOPING AND PRAYING I can get it back Friday night and get the car back up and running this weekend. Seems like it has been such a long time now.

• 1 month later...

Lol, well the date in my last post obviously never happened. After 3 plus months, I finally got the engine back so ill avoid going into detail on that whole deal....

But should be plenty of updates over the next few days as I'm hoping to have it running by Sunday. I will try to take plenty of pics and maybe some videos.

Lol, well the date in my last post obviously never happened. After 3 plus months, I finally got the engine back so ill avoid going into detail on that whole deal....

But should be plenty of updates over the next few days as I'm hoping to have it running by Sunday. I will try to take plenty of pics and maybe some videos.

congrats! good luck man

Know how you feel! My car will have been away 2 months next week end lol, having withdrawal symptoms now, plus have some new carbon to fit and no car lol.

Sorry to hear that there were delays (I assume issues). Good luck getting the car back together!

Pretty much just delays sadly.

best of luck. Looking forward to your posts

No pictures tonight but I got the headers, starter heat shield, AC compressor bracket, and spark plug tubes all back in/on. Still need to torque down the spark plug tubes and then i'll put in the spark plugs and wires. Tomorrow I need to run out and find some replacement bolts for holding the clutch assembly to the flywheel. A few of them seem to have walked off. I hear getting the fork back on the throwout bearing while getting the slave arm in the right position can be a little tricky. Once the trans is back on, i'll drop the engine back in. I'll see how far I get tomorrow evening!

Anyone have suggestions for getting the splines on the driveshaft and output shaft from the trans to line up so I can slide the trans on. It doesn't seem to want to go.

Sorry, not doing good with pictures. Hands are too messy and I get focused and forget about the pics. Getting the trans output splines in the right orientation, while also making sure the intermediate shaft splines are in the right orientation is a pain. And as soon as they are matched, you have to make sure to get the fingers on the clutch fork to mate with the groove on the throw out bearing. Not to mention the trans is fairly heavy lol. But I finally got it. Just need to align the slave arm and rod that controls the clutch fork and it will be ready to go in the car.

Congrats on getting the engine/trans together.

Screw pictures, getting more work done is far more important.

Thanks Nick.

Hope to get some feedback on this but I got the rod on and i'm pretty sure it is in the correct positioning on the clutch fork lever splines, however as you can see in the video, i'm able to push the rod into the slave. Since this is new to me, am I supposed to be able to push in like that or should I not be able to push in at all? The manual states the distance from the edge of the trans housing to the center of the slave rod/clutch fork connection is supposed to be 116.5 mm and I seem to be pretty close. I've tried adjusting the slave rod out but i'm just kind of unsure what movements i'm supposed to be seeing.

The manual also mentions something about pinching the clip on the throw out bearing internal to the trans housing while adjusting the clutch fork but that clip seems fully against the flywheel so i'm not sure if there is anywhere else I can go with it, aka, it seems as far forward as possible.

ALSO, i assume this is an adjustment I can make while the engine is in, albeit more difficult but doable. Is that true?

Engine back in. Motor Mounts secured. Transmission secured. Much easier getting that engine out than back in! I did put it back in wi th the headers attached but once I was close realized that the drivers side Airbus lid needed to come off for it to fit.

post-3902-1403484170_thumb.jpg

Going to bleed the clutch first and make sure I can shift before I go further but not tonight.

Thanks guys. Really just concerned about the clutch rod/slave right now but that should be fixable with the engine in if needed. Lol, that was of course supposed to say Airbox, not Airbus.