Do you have any Dental Health related Questions?

ToofDoc

First, this is awesome and thanks for answering our questions!

Question: When I tried zoom whitening I had a very sharp pain after a few minutes of the procedure. I immediately moved the machine away from my mouth, and waited for it to heal. I tried again, but after a couple minutes the pain returned. This was about 7 - 8 years ago. Will zoom ever be an option for me? Or should I just stick to whitening trays?

Thanks!

Yes, I believe you should try ZOOM again. The ZOOM lamp now is the LED lamp, much more gentle to teeth and gum tissue. First generation ZOOM lamps were halogen lamp...you can actually get a tan around your mouth if the dentist or hygienist didn't place the lamp in the correct position.

Also as I mentioned earlier, in my office, I give you a pre-op rinse to desensitize your teeth, during the procedure, we place another desensitize gel to prevent discomfort and post-zoom you use another agent to help you cope with the hypersensitivity.

Just make sure you ask the dental office you choose if they have the NEW LED ZOOM lamp, not halogen.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, you had the WORKS!!

Sounds like you got your smile back!! That's great! So you have implants retained denture? I have a lot of happy patients chose that route as well. It's a bit spendy, but the security of not have your teeth flying out of your mouth and be able to chew, it's worse every penny!

Yes, my two middle teeth and two to the left were pretty much destroyed as that was the point of impact. Care to answer my question hidden in that post?

My question to you at the time was whether you would go with individual crowns or a solid upper piece?

My question to you at the time was whether you would go with individual crowns or a solid upper piece?

In the end I went with the solid tray because A)I don't have to floss those teeth anymore (fcuking A it is great) and B) my surgeon said that it would have more draw when they were made and thus create tension on the posts to keep them in place.

Without seeing your mouth, your xrays after your accident, it's difficult to recommend one thing over the other thing online. That's why I recommended you to contact your dentist back when you PMed me. Also, what do you mean by "solid upper piece"? Do you mean a denture? It sounded like you already had all your teeth pulled and got a denture correct? I believe in the long run, you've made the right investment by getting a denture especially when you had attempted to fix them once already with crowns. Next thing you know, you'll end up needing more root canals and new set of crowns. Sucks to loose your teeth by pulling them, but in the long run, like you said, no more cleaning, fillings, shots, crowns, root canals, etc. etc.,

Marry Christmas Doc, and thanks for answering our questions. Here's mine: How much can I expect to pay for a BSSO and the associated braces (top and bottom) along with how much time it could possibly take.

I realize you would need more info, but my teeth are slightly bent inwards so I hope that helps.

Just wanted to say thank you for this thread. Lots of useful information and it's awesome you're taking your own time to answer questions for everyone!

Marry Christmas Doc, and thanks for answering our questions. Here's mine: How much can I expect to pay for a BSSO and the associated braces (top and bottom) along with how much time it could possibly take.

I realize you would need more info, but my teeth are slightly bent inwards so I hope that helps.

You like to correct your under bite (class 3 occlusion), yes? Your BSSO and braces will involve both an OMFS and an Orthodontist. Gosh, braces for throughout bite correction surgery is at least $4-5000 and BSSO (roughly 3-4 hours OR time), at least one night stay in the hospital, surgeons fees, it can be anywhere from $10-15K out of pocket (no dental insurance)!

Now, depending on where you live, your dental insurance coverage and the skill of your dental teams, cost will vary tremendously!

If your paying all this out of pocket, then make sure you go see the OMFS and Orthodontics departments at your local dental school. At teaching hospital setting, your cost maybe be cheaper and the quality of treatment is just as great!

While I was in OMFS residency, I was in on multiple jaw correction surgery cases. These cases are very intricate and involved. Nerve damage is a popular risk. Depending on your surgeons practice philosophy, your jaw maybe wired shut for 2 weeks up to months. Braces can be on for at least two years total (before and after surgery).

Keep on mind, just because (s)he is an OMFS, it doesn't mean they are good at jaw correction surgery. Just like Plastic surgeons, just because they are one doesn't mean they're all good at doing a nose job! You have to go to an OMFS that does jaw correction surgeries all the time!

Good luck, this type of surgery is life changing! You'll going to love your postop transformation!

You like to correct your under bite (class 3 occlusion), yes? Your BSSO and braces will involve both an OMFS and an Orthodontist. Gosh, braces for throughout bite correction surgery is at least $4-5000 and BSSO (roughly 3-4 hours OR time), at least one night stay in the hospital, surgeons fees, it can be anywhere from $10-15K out of pocket (no dental insurance)!

Now, depending on where you live, your dental insurance coverage and the skill of your dental teams, cost will vary tremendously!

If your paying all this out of pocket, then make sure you go see the OMFS and Orthodontics departments at your local dental school. At teaching hospital setting, your cost maybe be cheaper and the quality of treatment is just as great!

While I was in OMFS residency, I was in on multiple jaw correction surgery cases. These cases are very intricate and involved. Nerve damage is a popular risk. Depending on your surgeons practice philosophy, your jaw maybe wired shut for 2 weeks up to months. Braces can be on for at least two years total (before and after surgery).

Keep on mind, just because (s)he is an OMFS, it doesn't mean they are good at jaw correction surgery. Just like Plastic surgeons, just because they are one doesn't mean they're all good at doing a nose job! You have to go to an OMFS that does jaw correction surgeries all the time!

Good luck, this type of surgery is life changing! You'll going to love your postop transformation!

You're awesome, Thanks!

Firstly, thanks for this, like many others have said, this is an awesome thread to have here!

Just curious about a few things if you don't mind;

At what age would teeth actually stop coming in? You mentioned 25 and you let the wisdom teeth be, but my wisdom teeth actually never came in..and there isn't enough room for them either. My dentist was saying, if need be, that they would remove my 7s if pain were to start. At 26, I don't really have any pain, so should I be expecting any or at this point, is it likely that I won't need any teeth removed?

Secondly, I also have a slight crowding issue, now I know braces would help fix that, but should I do that before or after the above issue? As in, should I fix the crowding first and then remove the 7s or do it all at once?

The original plan was to have the 7s removed, remove the crowding ones and then go with braces...however that is 10k out of pocket. In your opinion, what would be the best choice? Given that I am not experiencing any pain, should I just leave well enough alone?

Firstly, thanks for this, like many others have said, this is an awesome thread to have here!

Just curious about a few things if you don't mind;

At what age would teeth actually stop coming in? You mentioned 25 and you let the wisdom teeth be, but my wisdom teeth actually never came in..and there isn't enough room for them either. My dentist was saying, if need be, that they would remove my 7s if pain were to start. At 26, I don't really have any pain, so should I be expecting any or at this point, is it likely that I won't need any teeth removed?

Secondly, I also have a slight crowding issue, now I know braces would help fix that, but should I do that before or after the above issue? As in, should I fix the crowding first and then remove the 7s or do it all at once?

The original plan was to have the 7s removed, remove the crowding ones and then go with braces...however that is 10k out of pocket. In your opinion, what would be the best choice? Given that I am not experiencing any pain, should I just leave well enough alone?

Definitely have your teeth removed first, then braces.

My doc says my wisdom teeth should come out (I'm 40, a little late now isn't it?). He says that they are straight up and down and he can pop them out with ease, and I don't need to go to a oral doc. Say's he's pulled hundred of them and there's no need for all the oral doc/anesthesia stuff. Said even if they are not causing pain they will probably end up with an infected pocket behind them.

Sounds fishy to me. I have only been to him twice and he seems legit, I like the guy. But last dentist I went to said they are fine and don't need to come out unless they start giving me problems. He said he even still has his in.

So do wisdom teeth that are not causing problems (no pain or discomfort or anything) need to come out anyways?

I'm quite insecure about going to a dentist. I still have this phobia ever since a dentist pulled out my tooth when I was very small. Planning to go for a dental implant and trying my best to get rid of the fear.

Find a dentist that provides nitrous. Lots of them do. I HATE HATE HATE HATE the dentist. Nitrous cures all the fear/phobia for me. I won't go to a dentist that does not have it. They put put a little mask over your nose and you breath the nitrous in through your nose. In 5 minutes you will be so high you won't care what they do.

So do wisdom teeth that are not causing problems (no pain or discomfort or anything) need to come out anyways?

I believe most dentists/oral surgeons would say that wisdom tooth removal is not mandatory but removal if they become impacted would be more troublesome than if you did it pre-emptively.

My doc says my wisdom teeth should come out (I'm 40, a little late now isn't it?). He says that they are straight up and down and he can pop them out with ease, and I don't need to go to a oral doc. Say's he's pulled hundred of them and there's no need for all the oral doc/anesthesia stuff. Said even if they are not causing pain they will probably end up with an infected pocket behind them.

Sounds fishy to me. I have only been to him twice and he seems legit, I like the guy. But last dentist I went to said they are fine and don't need to come out unless they start giving me problems. He said he even still has his in.

At your age, if your wisdom teeth don't bother you AND they have no signs of infection (on xrays or in your mouth), then you can leave them be. If your dentist found infection pockets around the teeth, then it's probably a good idea to have them removed for preventive reasons. Wisdom teeth are harder to keep clean because they are so far back in our mouth even if they came in straight.

You do not have to go to an Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon to get them if your dentist feels comfortable taking them out him self.

I'm quite insecure about going to a dentist. I still have this phobia ever since a dentist pulled out my tooth when I was very small. Planning to go for a dental implant and trying my best to get rid of the fear.

You can always try to find a very sexy female dentist that may calm your nerves. There are SO many of them graduating out of dental school now! I had a lot of sexy female dental classmates in my class from FL!

Chipped my front tooth drinking from a magnum bottle of Veuve on new years eve.

Went to the dentist today and they shaved it down a little, then chemically bonded some new tooth stuff on it, and then shaped it to match my other front tooth. Not too bad! feels like normal and looks the same. Didn't take more than 10 minutes either.

Chipped my front tooth drinking from a magnum bottle of Veuve on new years eve.

Went to the dentist today and they shaved it down a little, then chemically bonded some new tooth stuff on it, and then shaped it to match my other front tooth. Not too bad! feels like normal and looks the same. Didn't take more than 10 minutes either.

Awesome Tony that you got it fixed! These little front teeth chips and white filling fixes are not long term solutions. Don't get me wrong, they may last you 2-5 years but they will break again because the front teeth we use the most. Each time these type of fillings break, they take more natural tooth structure away little by little. You can fix these type of breaks usually 2-3 times with white fillings, but eventually a long term permanent solution LATER, will be placing a crown on the tooth.

Don't worry for now, but you'll remember this post later in life. :icon_thumleft:

Awesome Tony that you got it fixed! These little front teeth chips and white filling fixes are not long term solutions. Don't get me wrong, they may last you 2-5 years but they will break again because the front teeth we use the most. Each time these type of fillings break, they take more natural tooth structure away little by little. You can fix these type of breaks usually 2-3 times with white fillings, but eventually a long term permanent solution LATER, will be placing a crown on the tooth.

Don't worry for now, but you'll remember this post later in life. :icon_thumleft:

Damn, way to put a damper on my day. I thought i was in the clear :(

Any suggestions on making it last longer? I'm a pretty big coffee and soda drinker, but I always brush my teeth after or wash my mouth with water. I'm pretty anal about my teeth so i freaked out when this happened.

The chip was very minor but still enough to piss me off. I'll try and get a pic up.

ToofDoc, thanks for all of this great input! Very helpful.

My question - can you use just hydrogen peroxide to whiten teeth? My friends swears by it...

Damn, way to put a damper on my day. I thought i was in the clear :(

Any suggestions on making it last longer? I'm a pretty big coffee and soda drinker, but I always brush my teeth after or wash my mouth with water. I'm pretty anal about my teeth so i freaked out when this happened.

The chip was very minor but still enough to piss me off. I'll try and get a pic up.

I wouldn't worry too much. Just go about your day as usual.

If it breaks off more than 2-3 times, just start thinking about a crown.

Just watch for them magnum liquor bottles! :eusa_naughty:

ToofDoc, thanks for all of this great input! Very helpful.

My question - can you use just hydrogen peroxide to whiten teeth? My friends swears by it...

Hydrogen peroxide is the main active ingredient in whitening strips and gel, but delivered into teeth structure differently than liquid hydrogen peroxide form in a bottle. Also concentration levels are different.

Hydrogen peroxide liquid is also a potent chemical to kill germs but also healthy tissue in our mouths. It does not differentiates from bad or good.

When I hear my patients tell me they use hydrogen peroxide as their mouth rinse, I shriek because it kills their bad bugs (bacteria) AND their good cells. I believe your friend just hears "hydrogen peroxide" and automatically associating with whitening but in reality not only he's NOT whitening his teeth, he's also killing his healthy cells lining his mouth.

No good.

Hey Toofdoc. I didn't think I was going to need help in this thread,and then my 4 year old visited the dentist for the first time today. I wasn't there because his mom took him so I'm repeating what was said to the best I was I told.

They were first concerned because on the upper left side they said there was only 1 molar that had come in where on The other side there were two. They wanted to take some x-rays and gets better idea of what was going on and see if there was a molar that hadn't come in.

Upon looking at the x-rays they found what they called a "tooth mass" where it looks like the molar that hasn't come in and the tooth above are in some way "congealed" and the Dentist Appearntly used the words "possible benign tumor that may be forming that may require surgery" . My heart sunk upon hearing this and he's recommended we go to an oral surgeon that has 3D maching that will give a better view.

I'm clueless where to start researching.. What I should be doing besides sitting here worrying.

Have you seen this before? Have you seen this in a child his age? What should I know that maybe wasn't said to his mother? Is there anything you recommend i do?

Thank you

Oh snap Rob. I hope this isn't serious at all but you and your boy will be in our thoughts and prayers regardless.