Another car, another paint story

webster132

Seems like finding cars without shoddy paint work is harder than it appears. I just had my elite squad of PPI detectives from AutoConcierge checkout this 640 roadster. It's being advertised with "exterior is absolutely flawless with the paint being in perfect showroom condition". That's stretching the word "overstatement" to the point where it's indistinguishable from "false".

The car has been painted by what appears two different paint shops on both front and rear. Lots of overspray, dirt trapped under the new clear coat, and generally just a poor job.

The front splitter also has a big chunk taken out of it. Might well need to be replaced entirely.

Anyway, heads up for anyone looking at this car. It's on consignment at Newport Beach:

http://www.lambonb.com/used-Orange+County-...WBU47S58LA02939

yep, I had a deal locked up on an LP570, after going over it with a paint meter we see one panel at 8 mil vs the rest of the car at 14 mil (thick since it's tri-coat yellow) after looking closer we see screws that had been wrenched and covered up with paint. It was done very well and I would have probably still bought the car, but not for the 'perfect' price which they were asking...

Seems like finding cars without shoddy paint work is harder than it appears. I just had my elite squad of PPI detectives from AutoConcierge checkout this 640 roadster. It's being advertised with "exterior is absolutely flawless with the paint being in perfect showroom condition". That's stretching the word "overstatement" to the point where it's indistinguishable from "false".

The car has been painted by what appears two different paint shops on both front and rear. Lots of overspray, dirt trapped under the new clear coat, and generally just a poor job.

The front splitter also has a big chunk taken out of it. Might well need to be replaced entirely.

Anyway, heads up for anyone looking at this car. It's on consignment at Newport Beach:

http://www.lambonb.com/used-Orange+County-...WBU47S58LA02939

curious to know approximately how much AutoConcierge charges for services like this? do they go on site to do their PPI services? they seem to be good at this!

AutoConcierge are the best. They have a top-notch storage facility in Santa Monica with security, lounge, and more. They can do all the default stuff in-house: alignment, wheels, tires, whatever. And they can coordinate with the dealerships on your behalf to get more serious issues taken care of. They also have the best damn Xpel clear bra wrapper in the business (he did my entire Agera to stunning results). They can install radar detectors etc.

And their main mechanic Amir has an X-ray vision for inspecting cars. He can spot a mismatched paint job from 100 yards away :). When I'm interested in a car that's local, I never bother to go check it out myself: Just send AutoConcierge and Amir!

They've made my car ownership experience so much more painless. I _highly_ recommend that you get in contact with Scott and gang if you need anything they offer. Their website is http://autoconcierge.co (not .com).

If you find a car that is otherwise in excellent condition, are you against having the car (bumpers, etc) painted to your standards or is anything but original paint unacceptable? U have impeccable taste so I am just curious as to what your criteria is when considering a purchase.

I'd be fine if a car was repainted to top-notch standards. Sounds like the job kinsella had done was great. Roy has repainted a couple of cars too that turned out great. But everything has to be upfront and on the table. And it has to be done right. Not a hack job with 3 different shades of green and dirt trapped under the clear coat.

this is one of the cars that partially inspired my thread in the murci section on current lp640 prices. Couldnt really tell if there was anything wrong with it just by looking around online

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting, I was just thinking about going to check this one out today. Bummer on the paintwork, guessing it'd cost a pretty considerable amount to redo it correctly with VI.

Just out of curiosity- what do you guys think this car is worth given the mileage, number of owners and subpar refinishing?