Best 1st Handgun for HD?

uurfantasy

I am looking to buy my first handgun primarily for home defense and some shooting at the range. I can see myself getting into the sport and buying more down the road but just want to start off with something that is comfortable and not overbearing.

I would like a pistol and was thinking a 9mm or a .40-.45.

I have been to ranges a handful of times but never thought about purchasing until now.

I am 6ft, 190lbs.

I plan on taking the handgun course offered not far from my home before I make my purchase. Any prior knowledge before I go look at some guns this weekend would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a question which will get you about every possible answer, from buy a shotgun to a .50 cal desert eagle. :eusa_dance:

Now that I own a Sig (229), I fcuking LOVE IT! I don't know why I didn't buy one years ago. I got it in 9mm just for ammo consistency as I already have others. I got the smaller version as a pending carry gun, otherwise I would go for the larger 226 frame.

If you want something a little bigger in 9/40 get the 226, or if you want a .45acp get the 227.

I also have a 4" Barrel S&W 627 which is an 8 shot .357 revolver. My wife prefers shooting that with .38 special, it's super easy to control with the fantastic stock grips and fairly large frame. You're a big guy so this won't be an issue, but it's a fantastic gun to shoot regardless.

Stop it Sami!

I have a PPQ by far the best hand gun I have ever had.

FEEL THE BURN SON!!! Sorry Deuce, BEST HAND GUN, period.

Seriously. I'd go with the sig. 226 or 229.

But. You've got to go to a store. Pick them up and feel them. Which feels best in your hand. Then the range. Which can you shoot well... Then get the biggest caliber you can shoot really well...

And then get the SUV with the minigun.

Are any of the one listed above any easier than others to maintain and clean and then also load and re-load? My wife will be using the same gun so trying to get a gun that will be good for both her and myself if the situation ever arises.

Thanks for all the recommendations, I am reading up on each as they are posted.

i would shoot a bunch of rental guns to see which fits you well.

Bigger guns may be a problem for homes as rounds will pierce through building.

Indoors, a shot gun is best IMO. Big sound and great for clearing through the house.

Outdoors, i think 9mm, .40, .45 are all solid calipers. I like Sigs. If you end up going to the range a lot, you may want to look into a caliper that doesn't cost too much. .380 is very expensive, for example.

Lastly, i think mp5 is a great choice too. Pistol rounds in a short rifle means little recoil and plenty of fun. I shot one in vegas years ago and it still sticks in my head.

For home defense the smallest caliber that I would recommend is a 40 S&W. The reason being that anything smaller does not have enough of an impact to create hyrostatic shock in the system. 40 cal and up will actually pressurize the fluid in a body and cause it to go into shock....sig, glock, walther theyre all great peices. 45 1911's are good as well but if you want to target shoot then the ammo is better priced on the .40. As said before tho the best home defense weapon is a tactical shotgun. In low light with a moving target being awoken in a daze a nice pump action with 6-9 cartridges is unstoppable. I have a Sig 1911 Tacops next to the bed with 8 hollowpoints but also a Benelli pump action 18" close at hand.... also make sure that the intruder cannot access the weapon before you do...or its hidden enough that if you come home and there is an intruder they dont shoot you with your own gun

Btw. Check out the gun thread. I know it's 100 pages. But there lots of good info in it.

Problem with PPQ is you'd have to find it used, its an off Roster gun in california and considering you're in Sac, the restrictions are even worse. Ask Sami how hard it is to find them used. They are in the the same class with XD, M&P, SIG 226/229, HK USP and for the money the XD and M&P are great and inexpensive. I fired Deuces' XD40 and it's a fantastic gun, easy to shoot, very consistent. The M&P I like as well. Probably picking one up in the next week. The Sig is supposed to be a great gun, but every time I've rented one at the Range it has jammed (I do give it the benefit considering it's a rental) and they are definitely at the higher end of the price range for the gun types in mind (~$800), I also like the HK USP but again for the money the XD and M&P are great, the Walther (if you can find one) is probably right there but I can't say because Sami's a stingy bastard and I haven't fired his yet :icon_fU:

Sami's a stingy bastard and I haven't fired his yet :icon_fU:

you were offered too, I have an open shoot my guns and use my ammo policy. Deuce has easily put a couple hundred thru it and my HK P30.

you were offered too, I have an open shoot my guns and use my ammo policy. Deuce has easily put a couple hundred thru it and my HK P30.

You didn't have the PPQ the last time we went. I was just giving you shit, I'd like to shoot it next time we go.

You didn't have the PPQ the last time we went. I was just giving you shit, I'd like to shoot it next time we go.

I'll bring it and bust a cap in your ass for being a smart ass. :thefinger:

I'll bring it and bust a cap in your ass for being a smart ass. :thefinger:

Better a smart ass than a dumb ass, better than a hairy ass (LyinFapper)

FEEL THE BURN SON!!! Sorry Deuce, BEST HAND GUN, period.

No not so much, plus I would take the M2 PPQ anyways... not the outdated shit :P

No not so much, plus I would take the M2 PPQ anyways... not the outdated shit :P

The M2 is just to appease the whiners use to the button mag release, the M1 uses the Euro mag release. The M1 is more desirable and harder to get. In fact, Walther has put it back into production. :thefinger:

Sig p229 is my favorite followed by the XD, M&P and PPQ's. You can't go wrong with any of the XD, M&P, PPQ's & Glocs. You are really splitting hairs at that point, they are all in the same price range and it's just whatever fits your hand better and is more comfortable to shoot. They are all very good guns and you won't have any issues or problems, they are all extremely accurate as well.