Free Mustang?

Chipster

Crazy and not 100% on it yet but I just got an email from my dad that my aunt forwarded. Apparently, her ex husband inherited a 66 Mustang from his mother decades ago which he later sold to a school to be a project car and then the school sold it and it was not legally transferred with the title, etc. The guy that had it passed away after it sat for about 25 years stored away. That guy's father is about to pass now and he is friend's with the sherriff who tracked down my Aunt through the DMV. And my Aunt knows i'm into cars and the car is only about 45 minutes away. Soooo looks like i'm getting a free 66 mustang to tinker with. And apparently it needs to get done ASAP so I should know for sure or have the car by this weekend! Crazy!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm super excited. This kinda thing i've only read about happening to other people. I don't think I typed all the above correct haha but pretty sure it is a done deal!

I feel like

post-3902-1392085005.gif

That's the best price!

Maybe you could find a viper motor somewhere...stick it in there, give it some fresh paint and put in some reccaro seats and make the worlds meanest Ford/Dodge abortion the world has ever seen.

It would totally rock if you got it. Awesome car. But with all that triangulation going on, I would be surprised if you did. Wonder how many people the Sheriff has told "I know where you can get a cheap 66 Mustang". The situation has "Christine" written all over it. I would go talk to the car.

That's the best price!

Maybe you could find a viper motor somewhere...stick it in there, give it some fresh paint and put in some reccaro seats and make the worlds meanest Ford/Dodge abortion the world has ever seen.

I need to see if it is numbers matching and all that first, which I doubt. So I would definitely want to modify it. Might do something like a Ford Coyote motor BUT I literally just found out a couple hours ago so I need to research. Lol I kinda want another Viper so having a Ford with a viper engine too might be weird

Congrats! Does it run?

I'm guessing not but we don't know yet. I'm going to assume it will need a full mechanical refurb but iI'll know more soon hopefully. Always wanted a project car but I thought it would be something like a Shelby 427 replica. My dad will want to tinker with me so a good father/son project too!

It would totally rock if you got it. Awesome car. But with all that triangulation going on, I would be surprised if you did. Wonder how many people the Sheriff has told "I know where you can get a cheap 66 Mustang". The situation has "Christine" written all over it. I would go talk to the car.

I think my aunt has been in touch with the guy for a while but he was trying to sell it and she had no interest in paying for it. I believe he has no other family and the car has to go or it is getting donated. I'm pretty sure it is legit but yeah I won't be 100% until it is at my parents place (I have no garage space for it). My dad was calling her back tonight to tell her that I would take it. So we will see

That's the best price!

Congrats Chip!!!!!

(I've seen that whole Viper motor in an old car thing done.....it's pretty cool) :eusa_dance:

A used Gen II motor is pretty reasonably priced. I'm just searching through various build threads for now to get ideas. I still need to finish my car lol. Just waiting for the last of the gaskets

A used Gen II motor is pretty reasonably priced. I'm just searching through various build threads for now to get ideas. I still need to finish my car lol. Just waiting for the last of the gaskets

The coyote is a great motor, or an 03-04 cobra motor. Either of those are great transplants.

Well I completely messed up describing the whole story. My Aunts ex lent the car to a school. The car then disappeared or was stolen and then was sold to the guy whose father has it now. His father and my aunt were originally going to sell and split the profit but that never happened. And with his deteriorating health, he wants it come from his shed so his sheriff friend is just facilitating. Her ex that still is around is just recovering from cancer and has no desire for anything with the car. Looks like we are having AAA pick it up this weekend.

Well my Aunt's lawyer got some pictures from the sheriff yesterday and my Dad just forwarded them to me tonight. Looks in pretty decent shape considering the age and it being free! The front bumper looks off but who knows why that is. The body and paint elsewhere looks solid and I don't see any unusual gaps at quick glance. Right now i'm thinking a Coyote 5.0 swap with a T56 or maybe a Keisler SS700 but that's way down the road. Have a list of things I'd like to do so far based on some of my research. Will check it out this weekend and get it over to my parents place and use their garage for now (hopefully the snow here is cleared by the weekend).

post-3902-1392261006_thumb.jpg

post-3902-1392261015_thumb.jpg

post-3902-1392261061_thumb.jpg

I'll get some better shots this weekend hopefully and some interior shots too. No idea what trans is in there but it will come out regardless along with the interior i'm sure.

I'm guessing that chain might have something to do with the front end looking off. Pretty cool! Should be a fun project. My dad had a 66' that was Ivy Green. One of my favorite possessions is a 66' my uncle gave me. Not quite the same as yours.

IMAG0423_zpsodbbtb9u.jpg

Haha. I noticed the chain right after I posted the pics. I think then used the chain to pull it out of the shed but yeah you could be right! The rear drivers side wheel also looks fairly crooked. The entire front and rear suspension, arms, hubs, etc will be the first thing replaced once any rust is taken care of anyways. Funny thingis that the car is maybe worth $2k right now and iI never would have had any intention to buy it and work on one. But just the fact that is free has me interested. Very weird!

That's a cool looking model. Glass?

Yep, solid glass. The bottom cut out is glazed to give the engine and interior a cool contrast. I've had it since I was fifteen years old. Funny how that works as far as the car being free. I would feel the same way. Good luck and congrats.

Yep, solid glass. The bottom cut out is glazed to give the engine and interior a cool contrast. I've had it since I was fifteen years old. Funny how that works as far as the car being free. I would feel the same way. Good luck and congrats.

Thanks again!

If you spot this bloke at any point during the collection process be very careful.

post-63670-1392293945.jpg

Seriously - fantastic story. This stuff normally only happens in films.

My own preference would be to restore it to original spec. Whatever you decide I wish you every success.

If you spot this bloke at any point during the collection process be very careful.

post-63670-1392293945.jpg

Seriously - fantastic story. This stuff normally only happens in films.

My own preference would be to restore it to original spec. Whatever you decide I wish you every success.

I'm guessing that would be my dad's opinion as well and would be the cheapest option. If this were something that was worth a lot then I would stay original but I want something that will be a fun reliable driver. There is a company that makes front and rear suspensions containing everything out to Wilwood brakes. Minimal welding but a basic MIG welding kit is only a few hundred bucks. Engine, trans, computers and wiring harness. Some recaros or something like that and a paint job. Thanks for the kind words! The guy's place does seem out on the country.

Well holy crap! Awesome event to happen to you. Hope it all works out!

Thanks! Worst case it should be easy to get rid of without losing anything.