Diablo 2WD

Lambo Guy

I would love to know more about these cars, especially the later model versions. I'm of course talking about non-SV Diablos here.

According to some sources on the net, approx 873 Diablo 2WDs were made from 1990-1996, but I've also heard that a few "special" 2WD Diablos were made in 1999 with the fixed headlights and the old school bumpers but all of these stayed in Europe. I'm not sure how many were built, if any. Can anyone verify this?

I would also love to know more about the 12 2WDs that came to the States in 1996 - anyone on here own one?

Of course with the introduction of the SV the car became a bit redundant but to me, the later versions of these cars are some of the most sought after Diablos as they retain the beautiful "pure" shape of the original with the updated rear grilles, mechanicals and dash/interior of the later versions.

10.jpg

8.jpg

3.jpg

I would love to know more about these cars, especially the later model versions. I'm of course talking about non-SV Diablos here.

According to some sources on the net, approx 873 Diablo 2WDs were made from 1990-1996, but I've also heard that a few "special" 2WD Diablos were made in 1999 with the fixed headlights and the old school bumpers but all of these stayed in Europe. I'm not sure how many were built, if any. Can anyone verify this?

I would also love to know more about the 12 2WDs that came to the States in 1996 - anyone on here own one?

Of course with the introduction of the SV the car became a bit redundant but to me, the later versions of these cars are some of the most sought after Diablos as they retain the beautiful "pure" shape of the original with the updated rear grilles, mechanicals and dash/interior of the later versions.

10.jpg

8.jpg

3.jpg

Beautiful cars.. I don't know anything you need the answer to, but I sure love all diablos. Some of the earlier cars are my favorites and I love the 2wd version. It is amazing how well lamborghinis stand up to the test of time. You can drive a miura, countach, diablo, murci, and people still gawk at these cars more than almost anything else on the road.

i can tell you that every early Diablo is unique in both fit and finish.

I have owned two previous to the one I have now, and by far, the newest is so much stronger and reliable than the others.

These early Diablos if running right are almost indestructible.

The grey over red is a beautiful example. Never seen it before.

thank you

That car is very nice, it's a few shades darker than mine. Never seen that color before.

Would agree with Topcarbon comments, I've had 2 early Diablos and been in a few more, all felt different. You can feel the hand build quality, [or lack off in that era] but makes the car that much more interesting, gives each one a personality/character.

I have owned two previous to the one I have now, and by far, the newest is so much stronger and reliable than the others.

The grey over red is a beautiful example. Never seen it before.

thank you

No problem, there are more pics here: http://www.autogespot.com/photoshoot:-lamb...rati-grancabrio

I think it's my fave combo.

• 1 month later...

As old as these cars are, it's the maintenance and upkeep over the years that separate how strong and reliable one is over another. When I was test driving Diablos back when I was searching to buy, each Diablo was different. But each one had some kind of issue that needed correcting and wasn't that way when new. The 91 I settled on had a failed timing tensioner and when corrected came to life and was back running the way it should( Jason knows this Diablo). So my point is they all weren't exactly the same new, but over time the gaps do grow. buy a well maintained one!

As old as these cars are, it's the maintenance and upkeep over the years that separate how strong and reliable one is over another. When I was test driving Diablos back when I was searching to buy, each Diablo was different. But each one had some kind of issue that needed correcting and wasn't that way when new. The 91 I settled on had a failed timing tensioner and when corrected came to life and was back running the way it should( Jason knows this Diablo). So my point is they all weren't exactly the same new, but over time the gaps do grow. buy a well maintained one!

The 2WD Diablo's are great. I've owned mine for 7 years now. It has been quite reliable, but it does need attention regularly because of its age. Then again, with no power steering, ABS, traction control, AWD or any of that nonsense, it truly makes for an exciting drive.

The weak points are PAINT, some electronics, and that AC is not great when the sun is out... So in all, more reliable than a prius. Get one!

It took me some time to find mine. I wanted one with a history file. It had some cosmetic issues (paint mostly) but I wanted to drive it anyway. And paint is cheap compared to a Lamborghini V12 ;-)

12f655690a0a006500f9d4f71b94e748.jpg12f653e90a0a006500f9d4f7a2538ba7__1_.jpg12f655690a0a006500f9d4f71b94e748.jpg12f653660a0a006500f9d4f7e00e2c3e.jpg12f655690a0a006500f9d4f71b94e748.jpgHere is my 1996 White with red gut - 2WD (1 of the 12) - 2 wheel drive cars made in 1996. 7634 miles and in great condition - No paint work - No stories. Changed out the original stock wheels for new black Hermeras - and the ride now is like night and day.

Here are some pics.

12f66bde0a0a006500f9d4f740eb6eb8.jpg

12f664fe0a0a006500f9d4f71bf4a482.jpg

008.JPG012.JPG010.JPG005.JPG

12f655690a0a006500f9d4f71b94e748.jpg12f653e90a0a006500f9d4f7a2538ba7__1_.jpg12f655690a0a006500f9d4f71b94e748.jpg12f653660a0a006500f9d4f7e00e2c3e.jpg12f655690a0a006500f9d4f71b94e748.jpgHere is my 1996 White with red gut - 2WD (1 of the 12) - 2 wheel drive cars made in 1996. 7634 miles and in great condition - No paint work - No stories. Changed out the original stock wheels for new black Hermeras - and the ride now is like night and day.

Here are some pics.

007.JPG

Beautiful car. I also noticed that the front brake ducts under the fog lamps were made larger from the early models. Thanks for sharing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Super old bump but one of the 12 US '96 2WDs just went up for sale here: https://www.performanceautogallery.com/vehicle-details/1996-lamborghini-diablo-coupe-a913ead43028489480f33f88cb0705ae

They incorrectly state it as 1 of 6 for the model year in the description. Nevertheless, a rare car. I think since I made this thread I've seen one other (yellow with an awful tan/black interior combo) come up for sale.