Non Kebab, let's talk about it.

AudiBull

Then you have to try it. Recipe is from Pierre Hermé, but the one pictured is my gf's. Many people (me included, a few months ago!) think that vanilla is... vanilla. No matter what, a vanilla pod will taste like vanilla. That's plain wrong, there are many differents vanillas and none of them taste the same. Now I can tell where the vanilla pod come from when I taste it :eusa_dance: Here is a perfect mix of three of the best vanilla, the three combined flavors give an outstanding result. What you see is a tart, but what you get is Haute Pâtisserie. :monkeyleft:

Look at the size of these pods :monkeyleft: :monkeyleft: :monkeyleft: :monkeyleft: :monkeyleft:

Amazing, I've never seen pods even close to that big. That would be enough vanilla to last me the next twenty years! Upon poking around a little I found that even Tahitian vanilla has several varieties with different characteristics. I had no clue.

tahitian_vanilla_beansw.jpg

"The "Grand Cru Tahaa®" Vanilla beans are fleshy and shorter, and gradually release a rich, fruity, smooth aromatic bouquet, featuring sublime floral notes."

"Grand Cru Raiatea®"offers long and fleshy vanilla beans and develops their delicious caramel and anise flavours in a remarkable, unctuous, sweet-smelling mixture."

"Grand Cru Bora-Bora®" releases the accents of a rich, tropical volcanic earth, in a constant mixture of the pleasant and gentle scents of prunes, vanilla, liquorice and chocolate."

I'm going to have to order some at some point so I can figure out the difference. I've always just used the short little beans that are available everywhere.

Mandatory burger per page

Ok, need details. Looks like salmon with red cabbage slaw on a pumpernickel and sunflower seed bun.

I am usually a very meat centric type of guy, but when it's the peak of veggie season I try to take advantage. I make gazpacho once or twice a year and today was one of the times. For the green half I used bush, lemon, and gherkin cucumbers along with a few green tomato varieties, Thai and Italian basil, green bell pepper, jalapeno, along with champagne vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, and some sourdough bread.

In case you are wondering this is a bush cucumber.

IMAG0768_zpsctmleabh.jpg

Lemon cucumber.

IMAG0769_zpsdqoogmcn.jpg

For the red/orange half I used roasted red peppers, ripe red, purple, and yellow tomatoes, yellow bell peppers, balsamic, olive oil, bread, salt and pepper.

Garnished with kale chips, parmesan, quail egg, bacon, balsamic, olive oil, and sliced tomato and bush cucumber. It was very good, ate two full bowls.

IMAG0772_zpsk3wj3ky8.jpg

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tommy I want to try it ! How can I do that? Do you ship internationally? :icon_mrgreen:

Nearest location from you would probably be Japan!

Amazing, I've never seen pods even close to that big. That would be enough vanilla to last me the next twenty years! Upon poking around a little I found that even Tahitian vanilla has several varieties with different characteristics. I had no clue.

tahitian_vanilla_beansw.jpg

"The "Grand Cru Tahaa®" Vanilla beans are fleshy and shorter, and gradually release a rich, fruity, smooth aromatic bouquet, featuring sublime floral notes."

"Grand Cru Raiatea®"offers long and fleshy vanilla beans and develops their delicious caramel and anise flavours in a remarkable, unctuous, sweet-smelling mixture."

"Grand Cru Bora-Bora®" releases the accents of a rich, tropical volcanic earth, in a constant mixture of the pleasant and gentle scents of prunes, vanilla, liquorice and chocolate."

I'm going to have to order some at some point so I can figure out the difference. I've always just used the short little beans that are available everywhere.

I don't know what kind of vanilla is available in the US. Bourbon from Madagascar? Indonesia? You should also check the vanilla from the Vanuatu, it's good stuff! http://www.venuivanilla.com/flex/vanilla/48/1 :headbang:

Ok, need details. Looks like salmon with red cabbage slaw on a pumpernickel and sunflower seed bun.

It's homemade buns with squid ink and sesame seeds. It's beef (from Thailand, so don't expect Certified Angus!), with parsley, garlic, onion, balsamic vinegar, red cabbage, red lettuce, emmental cheese, grain mustard, double cream, ketchup and olive oil!

I am usually a very meat centric type of guy, but when it's the peak of veggie season I try to take advantage. I make gazpacho once or twice a year and today was one of the times. For the green half I used bush, lemon, and gherkin cucumbers along with a few green tomato varieties, Thai and Italian basil, green bell pepper, jalapeno, along with champagne vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, and some sourdough bread.

Love gazpacho! Ever tried a green one? This is one my gf made a few months ago

tumblr_n3ekxdfmg51rnt25ho1_1280.jpg

Cucumber, zucchini, kiwi, fresh mint, green pepper, spring onion, Xérès vinegar, olive oil and scampi. Fresh and delicious!

It's homemade buns with squid ink and sesame seeds. It's beef (from Thailand, so don't expect Certified Angus!), with parsley, garlic, onion, balsamic vinegar, red cabbage, red lettuce, emmental cheese, grain mustard, double cream, ketchup and olive oil!

Love gazpacho! Ever tried a green one? This is one my gf made a few months ago

tumblr_n3ekxdfmg51rnt25ho1_1280.jpg

Cucumber, zucchini, kiwi, fresh mint, green pepper, spring onion, Xérès vinegar, olive oil and scampi. Fresh and delicious!

Burger sounds good! I've tried a couple green gazpacho, but the kiwi and zucchini in that one sound intriguing. I'll have to try it sometime.

One of my favorite easy meals or party apps is ceviche or poke' served with fresh fruit on top of homemade quac and eaten with tortilla chips. This was scallop and ahi with mango and kiwi.

IMAG0613_zpszxbvkmvm.jpg

I need to work on my photo skills! I have a nice camera but always take the lazy route and use my phone. Your pics with the nice background and proper lighting look awesome.

I will try it when i go there next, your photos make me hungry!! :icon_mrgreen:

AudiBull is just murdering this thread. When are we having a LP dinner at AudiBull's house?

Killing it as always!

Dinner is December 7th when the Bengals host the Steelers. ;)

Quick poll.

Would you rather have rice or chips aka fries as a side?

Ignoring super healthy clean eat freaks opinion on this

9 times out of 10 I get the potato side(Fries, Hash Browns, Mashed, chips, etc.).

Killing it as always!

Dinner is December 7th when the Bengals host the Steelers. ;)

You going to that game? Ill 95% chance be down there as I go with buddies and customers to damn near every one and tailgate in lot 1

You going to that game? Ill 95% chance be down there as I go with buddies and customers to damn near every one and tailgate in lot 1

I'd love to but I haven't been back since the 2005 Wildcard game. ;) I was teasing AudiBull about coming out to see him for the game and inviting myself to dinner. We might actually need to set up a PGH/Cinncy getogether for us LPers now!

Quick poll.

Would you rather have rice or chips aka fries as a side?

Ignoring super healthy clean eat freaks opinion on this

LOL, you bringing our IG feud into this thread?? Then the question should be, Kabob (I actually mean kebab) (I actually mean kebab) and rice or fish and chips. You know where I stand

LOL, you bringing our IG feud into this thread?? Then the question should be, Kabob (I actually mean kebab) (I actually mean kebab) (I actually mean kebab) and rice or fish and chips. You know where I stand

Variety is the spice of life. Today I would go for one, the next day the other. No complete preference. The rice vs. fries completely depends on what you would be having it with.

I will say the best fish and chips I've had was fried in rendered beef fat.

LOL, you bringing our IG feud into this thread?? Then the question should be, Kabob (I actually mean kebab) (I actually mean kebab) and rice or fish and chips. You know where I stand

:icon_mrgreen:

Depends on what the main is, I wouldn't have chips with sashimi :icon_mrgreen:

I need to expand my response to this. Bar food its almost always fries, everything else it depends. I have gotten rice with a Steak before.

I need to expand my response to this. Bar food its almost always fries, everything else it depends. I have gotten rice with a Steak before.

In relation to steak and rice, I am married to a Japanese, I will let you guess this one :icon_mrgreen:

Those that have followed the kebab thread know I love lamb. This was two small legs I smoked tonight for friends and family.

IMAG0783_zpsiuvnazrd.jpg

For a starter I decided to try the gazpacho with fruit and melon concept. Used kiwi, green tomato, jalapeno, green bell pepper, zucchini, three kinds of cucumber, thai basil, chocolate mint, spearmint, lemon balm, champagne vinegar, and olive oil for the verde. Used watermelon, roasted piquillo peppers, red bell pepper, red tomatoes, balsamic, salt and pepper for the arancio. Served it with jumbo lump blue crab, bourbon barrel smoked paprika, fresh purple Thai basil, and some sliced kiwi. It was a hit! Thanks for the inspiration Tommy. :icon_thumleft:

IMAG0777_zpshxgurxko.jpg

Honestly you have impeccable taste, I'm waiting for my invite you pork Kabob (I actually mean kebab) (I actually mean kebab) eating bastard.

Honestly you have impeccable taste, I'm waiting for my invite you pork Kabob (I actually mean kebab) (I actually mean kebab) (I actually mean kebab) eating bastard.

Consider yourself invited, but only so I can secretly put pork in everything you eat. :icon_mrgreen:

Tommy I want to try it ! How can I do that? Do you ship internationally? :icon_mrgreen:

And I think I know where it is; or at least something of similar quality. Just look at these pastries.

IMG_20140605_154818.jpg

IMG_20140605_154906.jpg

Those that have followed the kebab thread know I love lamb. This was two small legs I smoked tonight for friends and family.

IMAG0783_zpsiuvnazrd.jpg

For a starter I decided to try the gazpacho with fruit and melon concept. Used kiwi, green tomato, jalapeno, green bell pepper, zucchini, three kinds of cucumber, thai basil, chocolate mint, spearmint, lemon balm, champagne vinegar, and olive oil for the verde. Used watermelon, roasted piquillo peppers, red bell pepper, red tomatoes, balsamic, salt and pepper for the arancio. Served it with jumbo lump blue crab, bourbon barrel smoked paprika, fresh purple Thai basil, and some sliced kiwi. It was a hit! Thanks for the inspiration Tommy. :icon_thumleft:

IMAG0777_zpshxgurxko.jpg

That lamb looks amazing!

And I think I know where it is; or at least something of similar quality. Just look at these pastries.

VCR time for us to meet for dinner again :icon_mrgreen:

Nope! That is Ladurée, Mont-Blanc (never tried it there) and La Fraise, which is a killer! Mont-Blanc is a good test for pastry shops. I've been amazed by the popularity of Mont-Blanc in Asia. You can find them everywhere, of any forms and prices in Hong Kong. The thing is, they are bad. Mont-Blanc should be sweet, you should have candied chestnuts, real chestnuts spread mixed with sugar and vanilla. Meringue as well. But most of the time you get a bad whipped cream with bad chestnuts spread and what seems to be a fake chestnut on top. No sugar, no vanilla, it's blank. No taste, no texture, no joy. I now live near one of the most famous region for chestnuts, guess you can find spread and candied chestnuts from here. Try and see the difference! My girlfriend did a Mont-Blanc almost a year ago, this one:

IMG_8052.jpg

That is heaven if you live chestnuts and meringue! :monkeyleft:

The place I was talking about in Japan is Pierre Hermé's shops. There are maybe ten of them, mostly in Tokyo. He was a Chef at Ladurée a decade ago, he created the Isaphan macaron for them, which is ... beyond word. Now he's doing it for his shops and make a lot of Isaphan stuffs (ice cream, cake, and so on).