458 speciale gets beat up by 650s!

SV-N-IT

the reality is that Ferrari 458 are underpowered compared to the macs... Essentially Ferrari got blindsided by Mac on performance and have been scrambling and thus a move to tt v-8. This happened when Acura changed how an exotic could be, a reliable yet well performing car like the NSX and Ferrari responded with implementing the F355... now Mac did the same by advancing platform chassis tech over Ferrari. Technically the mac is just superior to the 458. I have no doubt though that Ferrari is playing catch up...

Of course, while people may say that 458 has exotic sound and all that, if I really wanted true exotic sound, Id go for a v-12 from an aventador or even murci, or a v-10 cgt. I wouldnt even consider the mac or even the 458 as a true exotic. They are more like super sports cars imho... And to me the mac does that very well in being able to offer quiet, medium, or loud sounds along with diverse comfort settings that wont tire you out. The Ferrari in comparison is loud hey look at me and stiff ride that may be interesting for short runs. But I think those tire you out rather quickly and actually over time diminish the desire to drive the car... Which may be partly why there are many low mileage 458 out there apart from the flippers...

I guess the bottom line though is that its a great time to be in the market and there are cars to fit introvert or extrovert personalities. Different strokes for different folks...

:iamwithstupid:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do like the look of LABrit's spec though I would given the funds go for a Macca.

Am I the only one to find the 458 sound to be quite artificial and overly faux?

I do like the look of LABrit's spec though I would given the funds go for a Macca.

:icon_super: same here, its fun for an hour and after that I get a migraine lol

when I had my straight pipe CGT, the sound was orgasmic! when I started it and drove around for an hour it was heaven. but after a few hours my teeth were rattling in my head and it was time to put it away. if you can afford a few exotics at the same time, than it makes perfect sense.

You mean like Mclaren's interior sound generator? :icon_mrgreen:

You mean like Mclaren's interior sound generator? :icon_mrgreen:

the bug doesn't sound much better lol

the mac with awe exhaust really does sound good! sprite and mountainwolf both have the full setup

the mac with awe exhaust really does sound good! sprite and mountainwolf both have the full setup

Yeah I really like the way my 12c sounds with the AWE exhaust. Decently loud, but not obnoxious and the turbos make it sound like a fighter jet.

you really have to hear one and decide for yourself. even with the ISG the car sounds the same outside, but you can control how much volume you want inside. I think this is brilliant for track, date night, etc..

What does any of that have to do with what I said? Capn said that the 458 has an artificial and faux sound, which is hilarious considering the Mclarens actually come standard with an interior sound generator. You guys really need to think about what you are saying before you say it. I never said Mclarens dont sound good, I would know, wouldnt I?

the reality is that Ferrari 458 are underpowered compared to the macs... Essentially Ferrari got blindsided by Mac on performance and have been scrambling and thus a move to tt v-8. This happened when Acura changed how an exotic could be, a reliable yet well performing car like the NSX and Ferrari responded with implementing the F355... now Mac did the same by advancing platform chassis tech over Ferrari. Technically the mac is just superior to the 458. I have no doubt though that Ferrari is playing catch up...

I guess the bottom line though is that its a great time to be in the market and there are cars to fit introvert or extrovert personalities. Different strokes for different folks...

Um...lets go back 25 years to the F40 and revisit your first paragraph!

I agree with your last sentence.

What does any of that have to do with what I said? Capn said that the 458 has an artificial and faux sound, which is hilarious considering the Mclarens actually come standard with an interior sound generator. You guys really need to think about what you are saying before you say it. I never said Mclarens dont sound good, I would know, wouldnt I?

Completely agree with that comment.

The 458 Italia does indeed sound extremely artificial, the Speciale, however does not.

My mate has a Capristo on his 458 Italia and it has really woken it up.

These new Macca's all sound shit. Simple.

The 650S is a great performer, no doubt, however i'm sorry guys - it's a tarted up 12C with no character and not worth anywhere near the asking price, which will be reflected in the used market yet again in a few months time.

The sound generator is not a speaker system recreating sound but a sound control system that regulates how much and when it can enter the cabin. It would be faux if the sound was created via speakers and sound system.. But I think its really missing the point. The key point is the ability to adjust the car to suit your needs at that very moment in terms of sound, shifting, suspension setting. That is something that makes the car a more well rounded vehicle that is more useable. Its a car you can decide if you want to have a conversation with your wife or not at a turn of a knob... that in itself is priceless... lol

if it boiled down to sound or performance, Id probably personally go for performance for v-8 power vs sound.. The reality is that a flat plane crank v-8 will never sound as good as a good v-10 or even a v-12 no matter what type of exhaust you put on it... And this is well supported since Ferrari is shifting towards turbo v-8 in the future as well.. I mean how exotic is a v-8 or v-8TT vs a v-10 or v-12?

The sound generator is not a speaker system recreating sound but a sound control system that regulates how much and when it can enter the cabin. It would be faux if the sound was created via speakers and sound system.. But I think its really missing the point. The key point is the ability to adjust the car to suit your needs at that very moment in terms of sound, shifting, suspension setting. That is something that makes the car a more well rounded vehicle that is more useable. Its a car you can decide if you want to have a conversation with your wife or not at a turn of a knob... that in itself is priceless... lol

Yes I agree its a cool feature, I have mine turned all the way up. I like the select-ability of the features in the Mclaren.

I was referring to the exterior sound.

First rule of blinkered fanbois is ignore all logic. :icon_mrgreen:

I just don't get the hate for the F-Cars? The Mac is a fast car no two ways about it...but if you love cars you'd have a garage with a Lambo, a Ferrari, a Porsche and a Mac... They are all such different cars with different heritages. A GT-R can be made faster then a Lambo or Ferrari...does that one feature make it better? It's starting to sound like the mustang guys that tell me thier car is faster in the 1/4 then my Murci....in a way to justify that I overpaid for my car, their smart I'm dumb etc... The 458 and 650S are both awesome..but completely different machines..... one is clinicaly tech the other is a thoroughbred soul machine.... It would be a tough choice with the $$ in hand to make a 3 second decision which one......

Um...lets go back 25 years to the F40 and revisit your first paragraph!

I agree with your last sentence.

I think your sentence points out a key point, 25 years ago since they have done turbo power on limited production vehicle... unless turbo tech stood still for 25 years, I think Ferrari is relearning turbo power. Good thing is that they are competitive and perhaps they have already caught up with their new tt v8. The new v-8 will mark the first new tt normal production v8 ever for Ferrari... ( f40 and GTO were not normal production car/limited production) But one cant help but think that the new engine is perhaps an indirect result of competition by Mclaren. Like I said before, its great to be a consumer now for these cars as the competiton will breed really cool cars for us to play with....

As to the 458 vs Mac question, I guess it just really depends on the user. But rest assured, 458 owners can enjoy the engine melody while they watch the mac pull away from them and mac owners can enjoy calling other people from the quiet interior about pulling away from a 458..... :eusa_dance: lol. Its definitely fun times ;)

I've had both 458 (not a Speciale) and a couple of McLarens and although my personal preference is the McLaren, I've commented that from a purely visceral standpoint most people would prefer the Ferrari. I like the McLaren better because I like the tech that goes into it, and I'd rather drive the technically superior (and faster) car even if it means it doesn't sound quite as good or isn't as cool.

That being said, when compared to older cars, even the 458 is sort of cold and sterile. It's a syndrome of all modern cars.

When the 458T comes out I will definitely have to get one. I'm very curious to see how Ferrari handles turbocharging on a modern car.

I agree with the point that most of these exotics are VERY special in there own way.

if I was able to have 5-6 at one time, I would probably have a Fcar, Lambo, CGT, mac, Pagani, Bug, etc.

my love for the McLaren is because the car does everything just about perfect IMO so if you can put on a pipe and bumper (650 fixes this) you have a win-win!

on another note, if the 458TT is badass I would pull the trigger in a second!

I've had both 458 (not a Speciale) and a couple of McLarens and although my personal preference is the McLaren, I've commented that from a purely visceral standpoint most people would prefer the Ferrari. I like the McLaren better because I like the tech that goes into it, and I'd rather drive the technically superior (and faster) car even if it means it doesn't sound quite as good or isn't as cool.

That being said, when compared to older cars, even the 458 is sort of cold and sterile. It's a syndrome of all modern cars.

When the 458T comes out I will definitely have to get one. I'm very curious to see how Ferrari handles turbocharging on a modern car.

:iamwithstupid:

If for visceral experience, big displacement Italian lambo V-12 wins hands down!

Manufactures are making these cars easier to live with so they can take money from a greater number of people and it works for them.

I hate "soft" exotics, even if you could dial it down I wouldn't want it, I never drove my 570 in anything else other than Corsa, unfortunately Lambo is certainly heading that way :( making the cars softer, also since when you have to have a conversation with your wife in your exotic?? I always thought the second seat for the mistress? :eusa_think:

I am obviously kidding, second seat is mainly to give joyrides to family and friends, these cars are generally enjoyed by other enthusiasts, I feel like a tool if I drive any different than normal when my wife is in the car with me :lol2: she isn't interested at all in the car, she refused to drive any of the sports cars I've ever owned, when we go out we use one of our DD's, the sports car is strictly a toy, but if you can only have one car I understand getting something with a split personality and that's where manufacture's marketing department starts to influence the design and the personality built into these cars.

Manufactures are making these cars easier to live with so they can take money from a greater number of people and it works for them.

I hate "soft" exotics, even if you could dial it down I wouldn't want it, I never drove my 570 in anything else other than Corsa, unfortunately Lambo is certainly heading that way :( making the cars softer, also since when you have to have a conversation with your wife in your exotic?? I always thought the second seat for the mistress? :eusa_think:

I am obviously kidding, second seat is mainly to give joyrides to family and friends, these cars are generally enjoyed by other enthusiasts, I feel like a tool if I drive any different than normal when my wife is in the car with me :lol2: she isn't interested at all in the car, she refused to drive any of the sports cars I've ever owned, when we go out we use one of our DD's, the sports car is strictly a toy, but if you can only have one car I understand getting something with a split personality and that's where manufacture's marketing department starts to influence the design and the personality built into these cars.

I think all of the junior "exotics" from the 2000s are pretty soft already... thats why I would want a sports car that has some exotic features, fast, easy to drive, flexible in how I want to drive it, has some cool tech and allow me to share the experience with my wife and others in the passenger seat without having to scream at them. And on those occasions when Im in the mood to go hard core be in my own decompression chamber, nothing beats a manual Lambo v-12 with straight exhaust to waken the senses and help me let off some steam. Im sure thats why Allan and many others getting back into the older exotics...

My rationale behind the respective marques junior cars

Lamborghini gallardo-huracan:

Pros: v-10 gives it an exotic element, AWD safety, audi german influenced build quality, wonderful aggressive styling, switchable personalities ANIMA function on huracan.

Cons: steering is better on huracan but still a bit numb because awd... values will drop fast as well since they will be making a ton of them... will be seeing many in LA as with gallardos... NA power is limiting.

Ferrari 458-458speciale:

Pros: comes with the Ferrari feel good marketing, high revving v-8, pedigree, you could drift it( if you crash not a plus...) and it is entertaining to drive...artificially propped up market ensures value retention...

Cons: High reving v-8 sound gets a bit bothersome on longer drives because its working hard, its a v-8 ...like what chevy and ford cars have... NA power is limiting... dash is too high. see too many of them in LA...

Mac 12c- 650s:

Pros: multiple personalities to fit every occasion, comfortable suspension, gobs of power against competition...., great technology, swing up exotic doors. dash is panoramic... not as many in LA...

Cons: value drops like a mutha, v-8 TT nothing special... engine noise not the best... too conservative styling...

I would not ever consider a California. Too much of a hairdresser's car. Kind of like an R8 Spyder.

Neither would I, but you all go on like Ferraris new V8TT Tech will be this and that and totally new for them, when in fact, they allready have one up and running.

Also, my R8 Spyder S-Tronic is the coolest, best, fastest and bestlooking car on the planet :tyson: :eusa_dance: :icon_butt: