Didn't this SV just sell for $125 ?

donzikid

I know you have a VT, and Im not trying to devalue any of the cars... I just think the top values will go to the purist ( 91 -93) the rarest, and most extreme of the make. That does not mean there might be a huge difference in price between say a 93 Diablo, and a 94 VT, I just think the earlier car will ultimately be worth more. Didnt you yourself disconnect your awd so that your VT would drive more like a 2wd car? When I was looking for my Diablo a few years back, I had access to a couple 94-95VTs.. all priced in the 75 to 85K range. All just speculation, they will all certainly go up.

I see what you're saying, but I'm not pressing for higher values on the VT because I own one (not for sale, haha!). If I were, I'd be debating something like a $10k price difference, which I don't consider to be ultra significant. I'm just saying that the prices have tended to follow the priorities of rarity, age, and model in that order and I don't expect one version to be plucked out of the mix and suddenly buck the trend. In this example, suggesting that the 94/95 car would suddenly be less expensive than the 91/92 across the board in the year 2025.

I did the 2WD conversion, but it's not like I hated the car before. I just wanted the high points of the VT with the power delivery of the 91-93. I think the root of my point is that I haven't observed buyers being driven away by the AWD in any greater numbers than the tall instrument cluster and smaller brakes would be driving people away from the 91-93; i.e. it's a wash in the market and buyers in that bracket might consider either car. The '95 VT with it's 12" clutch disc (up from 10") would be inconsequential as few people know of the small improvement.

Just a few years ago the 91/92 cars were hitting a short-lived low point at ~$65k and the 94/95 VT was ~$75k. Now, the 91/92 is $85-95k and the 94/95 VTs are ~$100-110. A clean SV was ~$115 at that point, but is now well up from that number. The SV's greater increase pointing to it being a more desirable car based on those priorities of rarity, age, and model -- as in it can be seen as more exclusive, newer, and with improved features.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at other cars such as the Boxer the BBi was the latest most refined version but the first Boxer 365BB sells for double, same with the Porsche 930, for years the first 3.0 930 was the least desirable due to no intercooler and less power than the later 3.3 Turbo but now the 3.0 Turbo is double in value.

The first models are usually the most raw pure of the line up as the car evolves it may have improvements but thats irrelevant because newer models will far surpass the performance of even them, thats why the earliest models such as LP400 always bring higher values.

The early Diablo was still pure Lambo 2wd and raw less refined it will be the most collectable in the future but its a long way off.

If you go strictly off production #s, who knows, the SV Monterey Edition might be worth the most, only 20 made. Or even the Alpine Edition VT, Momo Edition. Who knows, its all speculation.

As a MOMO owner, I hope it fares well in the future.....but it would be because it is a '99, which I think will do really well in the future. After all, the Roadsters have a feature that NO previous V12 car had.....and remember the old saying When the top goes down.......well you know the rest.

I'm kind of surprised how well rceived the MOMO has been in public after reading post in threads from years past. People go nuts complimenting the interior, after I had set aside te money to chuck it.

If you look at other cars such as the Boxer the BBi was the latest most refined version but the first Boxer 365BB sells for double,

The first models are usually the most raw pure of the line up as the car evolves it may have improvements but thats irrelevant because newer models will far surpass the performance of even them, thats why the earliest models such as LP400 always bring higher values.

The early Diablo was still pure Lambo 2wd and raw less refined it will be the most collectable in the future but its a long way off.

Early cars will NOT be the most colectable, they were built in the most numbers, and have some features (interior, power, brakes) that will always be less desireable.

It is a mistake to compare the Diablo to the 365 Boxer and early Coutachs. In the other cases, the car are much rarer than the cars that came later, AND they were carbuerated, which is a big deal.

In the case of the Diablo, they made fewer cars after Chrysler exited and improved the breed.

Early cars will NOT be the most colectable, they were built in the most numbers, and have some features (interior, power, brakes) that will always be less desireable.

It is a mistake to compare the Diablo to the 365 Boxer and early Coutachs. In the other cases, the car are much rarer than the cars that came later, AND they were carbuerated, which is a big deal.

In the case of the Diablo, they made fewer cars after Chrysler exited and improved the breed.

Everyone I talked to said get a early car foe the most raw drive, the build is more old Lambo and its 2wd less weight I agree, maybe 1200 Diablos made overall the numbers are all low for each version.

Anyone that buys a car for investing speculation is buying for the wrong reasons and gonna get bit, I'll take a 2wd Diablo anyday for the raw driving experience which is what I bought it for.

Everyone I talked to said get a early car for the most raw drive, the build is more old Lambo and its 2wd less weight I agree, maybe 1200 Diablos made overall the numbers are all low for each version.

Anyone that buys a car for investing speculation is buying for the wrong reasons and gonna get bit, I'll take a 2wd Diablo anyday for the raw driving experience which is what I bought it for.

• 1 month later...

I really don't think the Monterey / MOMO / Alpine Editions will be worth any more than a normal SV / Roadster / Coupe. They are analogous to the Gallardo SE / Nera cars that are simply repackaged colour specials. Nice cars, but aesthetic specials nonetheless. Maybe if someone is looking for a very specific colour that was unique to those editions, but otherwise I don't think they are unique enough to differentiate in price from the standard fare. If anything, I could see the Millennium Roadsters MAYBE commanding a bit of a premium given that they were technically the only MY2000 Diablo made, but even then that might be a far shot.

image.jpg

LOL when I purchased this car back in '06 or '07 the guy who I got it from had "98 SV" as his license plate. The car was at the time, the cleanest diablo I had ever seen with the exception of a scratch in the passenger side window glass. Also, the backup camera was reversed, left was right and right was left. Good luck with the car!

• 2 weeks later...
I really don't think the Monterey / MOMO / Alpine Editions will be worth any more than a normal SV / Roadster / Coupe. They are analogous to the Gallardo SE / Nera cars that are simply repackaged colour specials. Nice cars, but aesthetic specials nonetheless. Maybe if someone is looking for a very specific colour that was unique to those editions, but otherwise I don't think they are unique enough to differentiate in price from the standard fare. If anything, I could see the Millennium Roadsters MAYBE commanding a bit of a premium given that they were technically the only MY2000 Diablo made, but even then that might be a far shot.

IMO, the sale price may not be much higher on the Monterey, MOMO and Alpine editions over a "normal" SV but they will likely sell quicker.... because at the end of the day the limited production will inevitably make them more desirable.

LOL when I purchased this car back in '06 or '07 the guy who I got it from had "98 SV" as his license plate. The car was at the time, the cleanest diablo I had ever seen with the exception of a scratch in the passenger side window glass. Also, the backup camera was reversed, left was right and right was left. Good luck with the car!

Question, was this plate ever on a silver 98 SV owned by a guy named "Jim" ?

• 3 weeks later...
Question, was this plate ever on a silver 98 SV owned by a guy named "Jim" ?

I don't remember the guys name but he had a red 512 as well, both cars with Miami heat plates. I think the 512's plate read "512 tr". If I remember correctly the guy was a stock broker.