High mileage Murci

Gandalf the gray

Just wondering what the longevity of these engines are. I'm looking at a car that has 35k miles and wondering how much is left. There are several guys with Gallardos that are well over 50k miles and some over 100k miles. Anybody with 50k + Murci's? Any words of advice for someone contemplating a 35k car?

Thanks!

How about 260000 before an accident killed it.

http://jalopnik.com/5980569/owner-crashes-...hini-murcielago

While the story of this car is truly impressive, it only made 43k miles in the beginning before have a new crankshaft installed along with lower end rebuild. I realize that it's saw a much harder life than your average car though.

One school of though, higher mileage with proper maintenace in theory should be better. Most of the bugs would be worked out, and if was used that much it must be somewhat reliable.

One thing I find odd about Murci's is how much crap gets past the stock air filter. The air boxes look cool in carbon but I think they dont seal for shit. In 6K miles I wiped my airbox lids out which should be spotless and they were dirty as shit

One school of though, higher mileage with proper maintenace in theory should be better. Most of the bugs would be worked out, and if was used that much it must be somewhat reliable.

:iamwithstupid:

Roy had a good post from the Aventador forum a few weeks ago..

I have no experience with the Aventador as a driver, have sold a few now, but no real life miles applied to them.

HOWEVER, I have put well over 35K miles on my 2010 LP670-4SV and have NOT ONE SINGLE issue other then the replacement of the passenger side mirror motor that has gone out twice..PERIOD.

And we all KNOW I drive mine in the snow, rain, lightning, heat, you name it..MY SV as well as my TWO 2001 Diablo 6.0SE cars have with out question been the most trouble free cars I have EVER owned.

I do think you ONLY hear of the one or two that may have an issue from time to time, you don't see people posting here that own these cars saying HEY no issue..so I think the pct wise is extremely low from issues to non issues with the Lamborghini Brand.

I could not be happier with each and every Lambo I have owned.

V12 Lambos are a strange breed, I think low mileage cars are more likely to have issues. Once you start putting mileage on them they need a good going through. EVERY guy I know be it Diablo or Murci, myself included that bought a low mielage beauty queen needed lots of work after a few thousand miles being put on it....sitting is the worst thing for these cars

V12 Lambos are a strange breed, I think low mileage cars are more likely to have issues. Once you start putting mileage on them they need a good going through. EVERY guy I know be it Diablo or Murci, myself included that bought a low mielage beauty queen needed lots of work after a few thousand miles being put on it....sitting is the worst thing for these cars

This is what I've read in the past as well, but it would have been a little more reassuring to see that someone has done 40k or 50k miles without major issues.

I'm a little concerned if the car will be unsaleable at 40k miles as well. Based on my Gallardo ownership I would hit 40k within 2 years of purchasing the car. I definitely would like to own an experience a Murcielago, but not necessarily want to be married to it for life.

Thanks for all replies!

The truth is every time you buy a used car your taking a leap. You could have a G and put 70K on it and never have an issue then buy a cream puff and spin a rod..... Problem on a Murci is that if you do have a major issue it's going to cost $$ and you can't sell it if it's not working. Although if the car was a lemon it would not have had 50K put on it... as Jagata said...in north america there is this weird perception that 10k is huge mileage on an exotic...so resale might be a bigger bullet if you want to sell it, unless you get it at the right price. I would look at the interior and body...you can tell a lot about how it was cared for. Most important...get a PPI done by a good Lambo tech, someone who knows these cars.... even spend the extra $$ to get a compression test done if you can....that'll tell you all you need to know.

I'm on 31K miles on a 2005 6.2 egear. No major problems at all. Regular oil changes, a couple of sets of disks (rotors), rear anti-roll bar bushes, couple of clutches. Motor has been sound as.

I've spoken with Simon (250K miler). His problem was with taper on end of crank, and pulley kept working loose, which damaged taper even more. Replacement became only option.

This is interesting, there is a 2005 Murci at the local shop that threw the main pulley...is this a common thing to look out for on the 6.2L

Interesting. Simon's was a 2003, it all started with an oil leak from the pulley that wasn't fixed by a new seal. Forgot to ask if there was a possibility damage was done at first oil leak repair attempt... Odd that a front pulley is only held on with a taper, rather than a flat face and key, as on every other car....

Nothing at all to worry about with good service history. I had over 30k on my last one and over 40k on 2 Gallardos prior to that. Averaging around 1k per month on my current car but still only at 10k. Check it out and go for it.