Pusan, South Korea

HannibalACP82

Thats the crazy thing. I fell from standing to sitting like if you slipped on an icy sidewalk. I didny break my fall though andnim thinking the rock had a sharp ridge or something I must have fallen on.

I had a rod the length of my femur with 2 pins and a twisty looking thing at the femur head and another 2 pins at the end by my knee.

I got a VIP room today and am all by myself after sharing rooms with 3 and 4 other people.

Update on healthcare differences when I can type more. Very eye opening.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch! Seeing that break makes me cringe. I had an illiad crest evulsion (my tendon tore off a silver dollar sized chunk of my hip bone) while playing soccer when I was sixteen. Felt similar, I jumped and kicked the ball really hard at a weird angle, then fell over and looked around at the ground. I thought someone had thrown a brick at me or something. So... how's the hospital food over there? Pics? :icon_mrgreen:

Hoping for a speedy recovery, good luck!

Yikes. Perusing the thread to read about your Korean food exploits and saw that 3-D CT recon pic of your femur. I'm guessing you're not 80 years old, so a reverse obliquity intertrochanteric fracture is a somewhat unusual injury, esp from just a ground level fall.

I assume you got some variation of this implant.

Trochanter%20Fixation%20Nail.jpg

Korea is actually very advanced in the field of orthopaedics, so I imagine you were probably in good hands. Good luck on the recovery!

Yikes. Perusing the thread to read about your Korean food exploits and saw that 3-D CT recon pic of your femur. I'm guessing you're not 80 years old, so a reverse obliquity intertrochanteric fracture is a somewhat unusual injury, esp from just a ground level fall.

Korea is actually very advanced in the field of orthopaedics, so I imagine you were probably in good hands. Good luck on the recovery!

Thanks for the info! The food was far more fun then this! Ive been too yired to post much but ive been chronicling my adventure here at Inje University Haeundae Paik Hospital and will be providing a detailed recap of what it is like to go through something like this away from home and in a language you dont understand.

Here is the repair shot...managed to edit out the naughty bits although I am sure I wouldnt be the first to post a dong shot to LP!

post-24965-1415865066_thumb.jpg

Oh and 29 in decent shape I would argue...until 1130ish last saturday.

Ouch! Seeing that break makes me cringe. I had an illiad crest evulsion (my tendon tore off a silver dollar sized chunk of my hip bone) while playing soccer when I was sixteen. Felt similar, I jumped and kicked the ball really hard at a weird angle, then fell over and looked around at the ground. I thought someone had thrown a brick at me or something. So... how's the hospital food over there? Pics? :icon_mrgreen:

Hoping for a speedy recovery, good luck!

Hope you are having fun in Maui!!! Been trying to follow along via the emails! Korean food wasnt bad here but ive been on american for the last 2 days which is hit and miss. Salad and ketchup with every meal!

Only food shot I have...first american meal in the hospital and to date the best steak I have had in my life (present circumstances probably enhanced the taste by a factor of 100)

post-24965-1415865381_thumb.jpg

Fortis stop hacking my posts and turnig the pics around so you can see them better...ruins it for the rest of us!!!

;)

:lol2: it wasn't me I promise.

Great fracture reduction! Those are tough to get the alignment right. That should heal very well.

Thanks for the opinion bonehead! Means alot coming from someone with you background! Much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Made it home yesterday after 32 hours of travel. Watched 5 straight movies to make it through the 12.5 hour flight from Narita to Atlanta. Just glad to be home.

Hope you are having fun in Maui!!! Been trying to follow along via the emails! Korean food wasnt bad here but ive been on american for the last 2 days which is hit and miss. Salad and ketchup with every meal!

Only food shot I have...first american meal in the hospital and to date the best steak I have had in my life (present circumstances probably enhanced the taste by a factor of 100)

post-24965-1415865381_thumb.jpg

post-20201-1416954671_thumb.jpg

I tried my best but some just don't turn so easily with witchcraft. :(

But poured some more coffee for you, hope that helps!

So my doc back here in the states said he would have fixed the break like the photo you posted that way I could have been walking on it since day 1 but he told me that the Koreans did an amazing job fixing my leg and closing the break and that he would have accepted that work on himself. He also told me a horror story of a woman coming back from overseas who blew out her shoulder and needed a replacement. Unfortunately they were out so they gave her a hip in the shoulder!

Welcome home mate. Glad you are here. Speedy recovery!!

Great to be back. See you this weekend at some point!

Speedy recovery man!

Thanks!

:iamwithstupid:

Double thanks! What's the thanksgiving day plans in your house? Hope you post some pictures!

Whats health care like in South Korea?

Great question and I plan on doing a FULL write up at some point but a few quick observations:

More of the nurses and doctors spoke English than I was expecting.

The actual care I received as excellent.

Certain things are different like the floor nurses just make sure you are alive (blood pressure, take your meds, change your IVs...etc

You have to hire a live in nurse to take care of you, bring you your food, wash/bathe you, help you go to the bathroom...etc

Hygiene was a bit different with bandages and dressings just changed on the fly and dropped on the floor. The table I would go to have my bandages changed on didn't have tear away paper and I didn't see them spray it down once between people.

Oh yeah it is also super cheap. I don't have the total yet but it was probably less than 30k USD for my surgery and my 2 week stay in the hospital including food, meds and my live in nurse.

• 2 weeks later...

Recovery is going well guys. Go back on the 19th to see how it is healing and when I can go to partial weight bearing. It is quite a boring existence right now. I play with the kiddos when I can and watch a bit of netflix when they aren't around. I am thinking of getting a kindle and starting to read again since I can do that from wherever I am sitting/standing/laying/exercising without disturbing the family.

Even my ACL reconstruction didn't seem this bad so I am trying hard to stay positive. My bosses have told me to park my tail on disability and focus on healing right now so no remote work for me so I don't get any mental stimulation there.

I guess it is time to go through my pictures and post more than just the food. I will say this.

I love Korea, the people and the food. I would move the family there in a heartbeat if the opportunity presented itself.

Here is the day they released me. I tried to get a picture with my nurse the day before but she insisted on doing her make up even more than normal and not wearing her glasses. It is also the only time I wore anything other than gym shorts....the pants were way to uncomfortable on my swollen hip. I couldn't even zip them up for the photo.

Notice the height of the crutches....like I said between my height, my beard and the fact that I was American made for a very noticeable migug.

post-24965-1418304279_thumb.jpg

Look at you representing with the Pittsburgh Cars N Coffee t-shirt.

I was rocking that, supercars personified and a UGR. They make comfy t-shirts...what else can I say!

• 2 weeks later...

No word if it is anyone I know but I highly doubt it. Still incredibly sad:

http://m.ibtimes.com/three-workers-south-k...as-leak-1767462

Three workers at a construction site for a nuclear power plant in South Korea died Friday after inhaling toxic gas.