Pros & cons of manual vs egear

JanDaMan

My feet are way too big to have a manual so I'll the be the one to say I appreciate the egear lol!

I have always heard conflicting opinions on 3 and 4. Are you sure it's best to shift into neutral at stop lights? Seems like that would be more wear on the clutch with the gear changes. I used to lift when shifting (and still do a lot almost out of habit) but I've heard you don't need to. Would love to hear some background on those 2 suggestions. Any way I can prolong my clutch is cool with me lol!

What size shoe?

I'm a 15 US and have no issues with any type of driving shoe and most all tennis shoes.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What size shoe?

I'm a 15 US and have no issues with any type of driving shoe and most all tennis shoes.

You must have sexy slender feet. :lol2:

If I'm not wearing driving shoes my shoe gets stuck between the center wall and the brake pedal.

You must have sexy slender feet. :lol2:

If I'm not wearing driving shoes my shoe gets stuck between the center wall and the brake pedal.

I appreciate you noticing Raj! :lol2:

My feet are way too big to have a manual so I'll the be the one to say I appreciate the egear lol!

I have always heard conflicting opinions on 3 and 4. Are you sure it's best to shift into neutral at stop lights? Seems like that would be more wear on the clutch with the gear changes. I used to lift when shifting (and still do a lot almost out of habit) but I've heard you don't need to. Would love to hear some background on those 2 suggestions. Any way I can prolong my clutch is cool with me lol!

When you are in gear the clutch is always slightly engaged and slipping. Shifting out of gears to neutral releases the engagement and therefore no slip and no heat. Slippage is what causes heat and wear. Lifting a little bit not fully when shifting is easier on the transmission and clutch in a non DCT .

I have been driving manual cars for over 29 years before I step up to the now ex-04 Murci egear. Test drove the manual Murci before committing to the egear and it was cleared that egear is far more superior. My driving style similar to Sonnythebull mention above. The egear does everything I asked it to do either I'm turning slow or shifting like a mad bull's charging. I drove my Murci pretty hard and I did it was because the old bull seem to like to be push hard.

As far as clutch wear concern, I bought my car with over 90% of clutch life and I put over 5k miles on the clutch during my ownership for two years and dealer did the clutch snap at 78% left when I sold it.

I also won't argue that the egear is trash, it did leave me stranded and feel like an ass in the middle of the road without warning. "If you ever been stranded in your Lamborghini you'll know what I mean" Ended up getting the piece of junk to the Lambo dealer and spent about $1000 (not bad) to replace the shifter sensor. I love the way egear shift and down shift, it makes me an instant race car driver its awesome, but I can't shake off the feeling that something will break again without any warning.....

When you are in gear the clutch is always slightly engaged and slipping. Shifting out of gears to neutral releases the engagement and therefore no slip and no heat. Slippage is what causes heat and wear. Lifting a little bit not fully when shifting is easier on the transmission and clutch in a non DCT .

Not so. When you come to a stop, the trans ECU will disengage the clutch, to prevent wear,, once your foot is kept on the brake pedal. Only when you begin to rev the car will the clutch start to pick up. Shifting into neutral when at a stop does nothing more than use the actuation components more than necessary.

Not so. When you come to a stop, the trans ECU will disengage the clutch, to prevent wear,, once your foot is kept on the brake pedal. Only when you begin to rev the car will the clutch start to pick up. Shifting into neutral when at a stop does nothing more than use the actuation components more than necessary.

It does not shift into neutral automatically right away. It takes a little bit to do it and the actuators aren't an issue . Clutch wear is.....and obviously if lamborghini programmed the car to eventually shift into neutral if the car is stopped then the engineers decided this is good for the clutch and trans.

It's like being in first with the clutch depressed vs putting stick into neutral and taking your foot off the pedal

Where clutch engagment is concerned there is no difference between these two scenarios..so why bother?

In a true manual when in neutral clutch released throw out bearing has no pressure, pressure plate has no pressure friction plate spins with flywheel.... So clutch is in engaged position but spins freely as no gears are selected. When the clutch is depressed throwout bearing presses diaphragm on pressure plate and friction material spins between pressure plate and flywheel.... Hope that makes sense

Still looking at adding a Murci some day for my bucket list, Ithaca green. But anyone have a good pros & cons list for manual trans vs egear? I have a few high HP modified Panteras, and am just used to manual shifting. Drove a Vantage a few months ago, and paddle shift was ok & easy to get used to. Searched the forum and found some opinions, but pros & cons of each would be good o see.

For me it was never a decision, 3 pedal all the way. The way I see it is that one day there WON'T be any 3 pedal exotic made so I'm definitely going for it while I can. Moreover, unless I'm at the track, the fraction of a second that I loose out to F1/E-Gear/whatever is meaningless to me. On the other hand, the involvement that I can feel w/ the stick is amazing. I only use my toy over the weekend so getting in & out of traffic is rarely a problem for me.

Thanks for all the opinions and experiences. Seems the egear has the potential of more issues than manual. But sometimes things with potential issues are worth it. We will see, just have to drive both and see what the experience is like too. Went to drive a yellow manual today from a dealer, but it was in the shop somewhere getting some repair. Only other thing I notice with the manual is it only seems to be offered on the early 6.2, and not even offered on the LP640.

Used to love to heel and toe in my manual Murcie but no that I got the e-gear in my SV, I must say I love it as much.

hi. just looking at your points below.. so many different opinions out there.. it is frustrating to know which is right.

1. I've read that keeping it on sport and accelerating aggressively rather than smoothly applying throttle is best for the clutch.. this is what i have been doing. hope its right.

2. always do that

3. always do that... but i also heard on another forum that this causes more harm. but logically it makes sense. i have 2 other sports cars that are manual and i do the same with them at a stop light. even in the owners manual it says if you are stationary for a prolonged time, engage neutral.

4. this is also something that is confusing.. i have heard opinions go both ways. i also do lift off cause of habit from driving a manual.. but dont know what is right.

A lot of the e gear failure and the jerking from stop is people who can't drive them right, clutch wear too. Here's some tips...

1. Learn how to work a throttle smoothly

2. Always start the car in neutral that way the clutch isn't dragging.

3. Always put the car in neutral at stop sign, stop light or when stopped anywhere for more than a couple seconds.

4. You can't shift with the throttle open. Lift a bit at every shift. Car will shift way smoother and last longer. Drive it like a manual with no clutch

Thanks for all the opinions and experiences. Seems the egear has the potential of more issues than manual. But sometimes things with potential issues are worth it. We will see, just have to drive both and see what the experience is like too. Went to drive a yellow manual today from a dealer, but it was in the shop somewhere getting some repair. Only other thing I notice with the manual is it only seems to be offered on the early 6.2, and not even offered on the LP640.

Manual lp640

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/ve...92147&Log=0

Pro: Manual is best

Con: E-Gear sucks compared to DSG

Pro: Manual in a V12 supercar is cool

Con: Automode or "F1 Paddles" in a non-track car is not or non-daily is not.

Me too. That car has been for sale for quite some time. Im guessing the baloon white LP640 6speed sold from lambo San Fran?

Yes. A friend of mine bought it last week.

It comes down to this as an owner of many stick cars, and recent owner of paddle cars:

1. Egear cars are more liveable, especially if you have to deal with traffic. (I hated traffic with my Viper, but my egear lambo its non issue).

2. EGEAR shifts at WOT, are soooooo fkin glorious, nothing compares. (They are brutal and their intent is to propell you forward with sledgehammer shifts, or throw the parts out the back trying).

3. DONT lift the gas on egear cars, they specifically tune it into the ECUs that it cuts power during the shift. Why make it any less exhilarating? Really, we bought these cars to save clutch life? Enjoy the fkin car, and then get an aftermarket carbon fiber clutch that will last for 30-45k miles on the next clutch swap.

4. These car's 'egear' are archaic, and probably the most crude interpretation of how to do such a setup, but I still like it. Women seem to adore it, the harshness and brutalness is exactly what they imagine a race car is supposed to be like (we know better).

5. I would love stick, but I think if I converted mine to stick, I'd eventually convert it back to egear, but part of me just wants to try it. D.Wiggs any chance you can share part numbers with me, I'd love to tackle this? I can pay a consultation fee if you like, but I do all my own service, so I wont ever pay someone to do my conversion, but I like to know how to do it, so I can go back and forth as I like :)

The issue of lifting off throttle during shifting has been discussed many times on here. Jefflambo finally put a nail in it when he stated lifting is not recommended during acceleration and shifting.

Incorrect. Just happens that not many people chose the manual on the lp640 coupe, then even less on the 640 roadster, and then the most rare of all is the manual lp670-4 SV. Roy and myself have manual SVs.

The issue of lifting off throttle during shifting has been discussed many times on here. Jefflambo finally put a nail in it when he stated lifting is not recommended during acceleration and shifting.

Shifts much nicer with a little lift...Shifts horribly with throttle to the floor. It's not dual clutch so it feels awfully not to lift a bit