Pros & cons of manual vs egear

JanDaMan

Shifts much nicer with a little lift...Shifts horribly with throttle to the floor. It's not dual clutch so it feels awfully not to lift a bit

You should get yours looked at then... I find those shifts to be THE most glorious of shifts I ever had. I have a GTR, and its sucks (buttery smooth shifts), compared to the Murci and its hammer shifts... I love the feeling of rawness. If yours isnt a grizzly but controlled shift experience, maybe you have something out of adjustment? nothing about my shifts feel awefull, quite the opposite, I'd love to do a WOT run to have it rip through all gears, all the time.. but those pesky cars with the light bars on the top arent a fan of that.... so I keep that to a minimum. :)

Jon

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does the 640 egear feel in comparison to an lp560/570?

Or is it more similar to pre LP Gallardo's?

I actually like my 570 egear better than the PDK in my Turbo S.

How does the 640 egear feel in comparison to an lp560/570?

Or is it more similar to pre LP Gallardo's?

I actually like my 570 egear better than the PDK in my Turbo S.

The LP560/570's Egear is much better than the LP640. It shifts quicker and is a little smoother.

The LP560/570's Egear is much better than the LP640. It shifts quicker and is a little smoother.

Thx! There are a few nice, low optioned cars available but they are all egear.

I drove my buddy's 03 6mt and really like, much more than I thought I would.

Manual will always be more involved and have less potential issues. E-Gear on a windy road when giving it the beans and shifting up and down non stop tho is a very fun experience as well. The sound of the down shifts the firm up shifts and keeping your hand on the wheel is a plus.

As much as I would love to have my SV in manual because it is so rare, I also have grown to love my e-gear

As much as I would love to have my SV in manual because it is so rare, I also have grown to love my e-gear

That's good to know. Is there any software available that improves shift times/performance?

That's good to know. Is there any software available that improves shift times/performance?

A few SV's in Singapore had their ecu remapped and they can swear it shifts smoother and quicker now.

perk to egear:

wider variety of cars for sale to chose from

cheaper purchase price for egear Murci than manual Murci

violent shifts at WOT cannot be matched with a manual

Downsides have all been hit above.

perk to egear:

wider variety of cars for sale to chose from

cheaper purchase price for egear Murci than manual Murci

violent shifts at WOT cannot be matched with a manual

Downsides have all been hit above.

when you learn to shift quick and with a firm hand; there is no difference in speed.

full acceleration me in my manual SV and my mate in his Aventador; no single inch in it. maybe it was the lower weight of my manual SV (although i was 125kg, so had 50kg extra over my friend), but whatever the reason, that was the case. hard to believe with 50ms shifts on the Aventador; but we drove about 5k km together so had plenty of chances to try.

The feeling of the shift in egear is MUCH more violent (i.e. power-shift) than you can produce with a manual.

Okay, I thought we were talking about shift speed. I drove an LP640 roadster e-gear once, but do not really remember it. Was during a snowy winter in Ldn!

Is it comparable to the Gallardo STS?

It comes down to your driving style, type of driving and roads you have access to, I don't buy into the fact that the manual connects you more to the car etc. E-Gear requires plenty of involvement also, it's fun and quite engaging.

I drove manual cars all my life, as a matter of fact I haven't even touched an auto car until I was 25, I haven't seen an auto until I was 22, I honestly don't see what the big deal is, it's mainly rarity that plays with desirability, I bet if ratio was flipped everyone would be crying for an E-Gear and claim that you aren't a man unless you drive one LOL.

Because of the type of driving I like the manual has to be non gated and short shifting then it's enjoyable, I extensively drove a manual G, nice on the highway annoying on the twisties my suggestion is to extensively drive both along your favorite roads and decide for yourself there is no right or wrong it comes down to what you enjoy most.

You should get yours looked at then... I find those shifts to be THE most glorious of shifts I ever had. I have a GTR, and its sucks (buttery smooth shifts), compared to the Murci and its hammer shifts... I love the feeling of rawness. If yours isnt a grizzly but controlled shift experience, maybe you have something out of adjustment? nothing about my shifts feel awefull, quite the opposite, I'd love to do a WOT run to have it rip through all gears, all the time.. but those pesky cars with the light bars on the top arent a fan of that.... so I keep that to a minimum. :)

Jon

It's fine my gallardo was the same. The car dips in the power too much if you dont lift the throttle betwen shifts and when I say lift I mean like half an inch off the throttle not full lift.

The transmissions in manual and e gear are the same with the clutching done for you so try shifting a manual Murcie without lifting and see how it feels. I drove an aventador in Vegas at the track and the instructor kept saying don't lift don't lift between shifts but after 10 laps he was sold on how much smoother and I think faster as the car doesn't have to eat so much time making the shift happen while cutting the throttle off and making sure it doesn't rev up between shifts. Again when I say lift I mean a tiny bit just the same as when you shift a sequential box clutchless in a formula car or a shifter kart

I bet if ratio was flipped everyone would be crying for an E-Gear and claim that you aren't a man unless you drive one LOL.

:iamwithstupid: :icon_thumleft:

Okay, I thought we were talking about shift speed. I drove an LP640 roadster e-gear once, but do not really remember it. Was during a snowy winter in Ldn!

Is it comparable to the Gallardo STS?

I don't know about the STS. But compared to the pre-LP Gallardo, it's much more harsh.

The interesting thing I've noticed about the egear on my 640 is that it's shifts are super fast at higher RPM. I don't know that I would call them violent but they are freaking epic compared to just normal driving around town.

I had a manual Gallardo before and while it was fun to row the gears, I can't say that I really lean one way or the other on preference.

The interesting thing I've noticed about the egear on my 640 is that it's shifts are super fast at higher RPM. I don't know that I would call them violent but they are freaking epic compared to just normal driving around town.

I had a manual Gallardo before and while it was fun to row the gears, I can't say that I really lean one way or the other on preference.

Its not only higher RPM but when in sport mode the shifts are much faster at full throttle (on the floor) also.

I also lift a bit if not wanting to break my passengers neck when pushing it a bit.

I was told in sports/corsa mode it shifts at around 80-100 milliseconds. Is this true? Still seems pretty slow to the F cars which are shifting around 50-60 milliseconds.

I was told in sports/corsa mode it shifts at around 80-100 milliseconds. Is this true? Still seems pretty slow to the F cars which are shifting around 50-60 milliseconds.

This sounds about right. The one thing I can say about the F cars like the 458, is that the transmission is great and unfortunately makes our 640's shifting seem pretty slow. But I still prefer it over an F car and you just can't beat the full throttle shifts from first to second.

It comes down to your driving style, type of driving and roads you have access to, I don't buy into the fact that the manual connects you more to the car etc. E-Gear requires plenty of involvement also, it's fun and quite engaging.

I drove manual cars all my life, as a matter of fact I haven't even touched an auto car until I was 25, I haven't seen an auto until I was 22, I honestly don't see what the big deal is, it's mainly rarity that plays with desirability, I bet if ratio was flipped everyone would be crying for an E-Gear and claim that you aren't a man unless you drive one LOL.

Because of the type of driving I like the manual has to be non gated and short shifting then it's enjoyable, I extensively drove a manual G, nice on the highway annoying on the twisties my suggestion is to extensively drive both along your favorite roads and decide for yourself there is no right or wrong it comes down to what you enjoy most.

Agreed it comes down to what you prefer; simples as that. No other reason why one is 'better' than the other. For lap times, paddle shifter is definitely the one and only choice. But these are road cars. "Buying into" the higher involvement of manual... I do not understand at all what you are saying. With a manual it is 100% up to you; how good, how smooth, how fast the shift is. There is zero involvement in this procedure with a paddle shift. There is if the automated box is old, and you have to smooth it with a minimal lift at shift time; but Dual-clutch boxes have zero involvement; apart from flipping a switch. I get bored of all the paddle shift cars I've driven due to this (458, McLaren MP4, Aventador, Ferrari F12, La-Ferrari once you get used to the power which takes a while as its an insane beast; Scuderia was only car I really loved that is non-manual). I know I am in the 1% majority of manual lovers, and of manual lovers who can actually comment due to all the cars I have actually driven and can compare.

As said, go drive both, and just decide on which you prefer. Do not look at numbers produced, or which is rarer, that does not make your driving enjoyment more or less. Experience and buy the one you love the most.

Agreed it comes down to what you prefer; simples as that. No other reason why one is 'better' than the other. For lap times, paddle shifter is definitely the one and only choice. But these are road cars. "Buying into" the higher involvement of manual... I do not understand at all what you are saying. With a manual it is 100% up to you; how good, how smooth, how fast the shift is. There is zero involvement in this procedure with a paddle shift. There is if the automated box is old, and you have to smooth it with a minimal lift at shift time; but Dual-clutch boxes have zero involvement; apart from flipping a switch. I get bored of all the paddle shift cars I've driven due to this (458, McLaren MP4, Aventador, Ferrari F12, La-Ferrari once you get used to the power which takes a while as its an insane beast; Scuderia was only car I really loved that is non-manual). I know I am in the 1% majority of manual lovers, and of manual lovers who can actually comment due to all the cars I have actually driven and can compare.

As said, go drive both, and just decide on which you prefer. Do not look at numbers produced, or which is rarer, that does not make your driving enjoyment more or less. Experience and buy the one you love the most.

I don't think you are driving the paddle shift cars long enough in order to get used to them and understand/feel the pros/benefits, they are as involved as the manuals, for me anyway, I feel "wired in" watching your revs, listening to the engine, changing gears at the sweetest spot possible, etc. you drive the car in a similar fashion the only thing you don't do is push a pedal in and take your hand off the wheel at crazy speeds around corners :icon_mrgreen:

I am not advocating the paddle shift cars, the only thing I am saying is that it comes down to your personal preference, there is no right or wrong it's what you enjoy most.

The one thing I can't get my head around is the slogan "Real men drive manuals!" how is a clutch pedal and a stick shift connected to one's manhood? LOL

I don't think you are driving the paddle shift cars long enough in order to get used to them and understand/feel the pros/benefits, they are as involved as the manuals, for me anyway, I feel "wired in" watching your revs, listening to the engine, changing gears at the sweetest spot possible, etc. you drive the car in a similar fashion the only thing you don't do is push a pedal in and take your hand off the wheel at crazy speeds around corners :icon_mrgreen:

I am not advocating the paddle shift cars, the only thing I am saying is that it comes down to your personal preference, there is no right or wrong it's what you enjoy most.

The one thing I can't get my head around is the slogan "Real men drive manuals!" how is a clutch pedal and a stick shift connected to one's manhood? LOL

My grandma can drive any paddle shift car; an old school manual... especially a manual Lamborghini, no chance :D

I like a challenge; especially to keep me occupied even at low speeds. I would be scared that I would have to drive at 80%+ to enjoy any paddle shifter.

In the same way that I have much more respect for the old F1 drivers driving those 1,000hp+ monsters, with a manual gearshift; rather than the paddle shifter full traction control etc cars of modern times. One hand on the wheel, one hand on the shifter, and balls of steel.

Each to their own. I'm not trying to change anyone's buying choice.

Don't for a second think that the current F1 drivers have to be less ballsy, that's a common misconception, the safety came a long way since the olden days and that's certainly most welcome, progress is always a plus, just because something doesn't try to kill you every step of the way doesn't make it less exciting or thrilling.

For me changing gears it's a small part of the driving experience but if it makes you happy to have to row through gears that's all that matters, I consider it antiquated and a non match for the modern technology implemented in exotics nowadays, it works very well on older cars because the rest of the system is geared to match but with the new cars it's different, E-gear certainly has its flaws and a manual can be contemplated as an option but DCT's are pretty much flawless and a huge departure.

You must have one cool grandma if she can drive a paddle shift Lambo :icon_thumleft:

My grandma can drive any paddle shift car; an old school manual... especially a manual Lamborghini, no chance :D

I like a challenge; especially to keep me occupied even at low speeds. I would be scared that I would have to drive at 80%+ to enjoy any paddle shifter.

In the same way that I have much more respect for the old F1 drivers driving those 1,000hp+ monsters, with a manual gearshift; rather than the paddle shifter full traction control etc cars of modern times. One hand on the wheel, one hand on the shifter, and balls of steel.

Each to their own. I'm not trying to change anyone's buying choice.

But my Grandpa prefers my e-gear. Hahah just kidding bro.

In all honesty, the e-gear is involving to and fun. However if I had to choose between the two, I would go for the manual because of how rare it is for the SV and my car is not a daily drive. I had a manual Murcie 6.2 for 3 years and I loved to heel and toe with it. But I still do love my e-gear now for different reasons.