"Lamborghini targeting Le Mans return, possible LMP1 program"

serie1926

LMP1 sounds like a stretch, but maybe not. Programs there are rumored to be $50-100M/year. At least if you want to be competitive. Does Lamborghini have that kind of dough? They could do a competitive P2 program for ~$10-15M/yr.

Either way, would be fcuking bad ass. And seems like a great fit with their Veneno styling.

LMP1 sounds like a stretch, but maybe not. Programs there are rumored to be $50-100M/year. At least if you want to be competitive. Does Lamborghini have that kind of dough? They could do a competitive P2 program for ~$10-15M/yr.

Either way, would be fcuking bad ass. And seems like a great fit with their Veneno styling.

A top flight LMP1 team will definitely spend $100 mil annually.

Lamborghini would seem ill-suited to race in LMP1 just because of the current situation with Audi and Porsche. If Audi is legitimately winding down their LMP1 program for an F1 effort, I have to assume it's because of a corporate desire to give Porsche the best possible chance at overall victory. If they threw in a Lamborghini effort, I have a hard time believing it would be anything but a token little brother, and therefore disappointing, effort.

But I'm always in the camp of the more manufacturers involved the better.

:lol2:

I've seen how they run things behind closed doors on the ST program. If they tried to get into a legitimate effort, they'd fcuk themselves ten times to Tuesday with anything other than a one-series make "race series."

It would also be a hilariously short burn up to watch.

Would be sweet but for the reasons already mentioned call my a skeptic.

Audi dominated with a diesel electric hybrid. Even if Audi leaves for F1 (holy crap would that be sweet) and Porsche takes over LMP1 they at least have experience with gas/electric hybrids. Lamborghini's first foray into anything electric was 30 seconds ago. I just don't see it happening.

Highly doubt VW would fund a racing program for Lamborghini, especially not LMP1 seeing as both Audi and Porsche are already in LMP1.

This and lots of rumours surround VW and f1 right now.

Just think f1's massively restrictive rules and stratospehric costs are not something that VW want to entertain.

The only way I could see this happening and it could happen is if Audi moves to F1 and VW takes the Audi LMP1 and badges it as a "Lambo" or takes a Porsche Petrol LMP1 and brands it "Lambo" as VAG did when they took an Audi LMP1 and branded it "Bentley".

This and lots of rumours surround VW and f1 right now.

Just think f1's massively restrictive rules and stratospehric costs are not something that VW want to entertain.

Really? They have the dough. They spent it with Bugatti, Lamborghini, Audi and Porsche racing against each other. Sounds like a move in their normal direction of travel.

Just because they have the money does not mean it is right to do it.

F1 is big money. Every team in there are complaining that the structure is not sustainable.

Two teams went under this year, they have contracts in place that means that they need to have set number of cars on the grid.

There has been talk of three car teams to fulfil that contractual agreement.

It is a shambles, blue chip companies are seeing that branding for whole seasons is now too costly. One of the biggest most successful teams in the sport could not get a title sponsor this season.

Just because VW have the dollars does not mean it is right they take those steps. Ferrari still take a profit from the sport just because Ferrari are there. Would you enter into a sport where a competitor gets paid off by management for turning up whilst other teams are folding?

If payment structure was to change then I can see it becoming a viable entity and showcase for VW or one of its brands but right now why bother?

Times change, being stuck in old ways doesn't help with keeping your lights on nor with staying current and relevant, Lambo of the past is gone it's been replaced by the likes of Pagani, K'seeg and dare I say our very own Jota.

I want to see the benefits of the motorsport trickling down into Lambo's road cars, I'd love for them to win Le Mans!

Times change, being stuck in old ways doesn't help with keeping your lights on nor with staying current and relevant, Lambo of the past is gone it's been replaced by the likes of Pagani, K'seeg and dare I say our very own Jota.

I want to see the benefits of the motorsport trickling down into Lambo's road cars, I'd love for them to win Le Mans!

Difference in perspective. "Staying stuck in the old ways" means "staying true to it's original vision".

Agreed, Pagani and Koenigsegg are more in line with the "old way" of doing things, and that is why I hold them in a higher regard and they are more desirable to me than the current Lamborghini.

Difference in perspective. "Staying stuck in the old ways" means "staying true to it's original vision".

Agreed, Pagani and Koenigsegg are more in line with the "old way" of doing things, and that is why I hold them in a higher regard and they are more desirable to me than the current Lamborghini.

the rarer and the more exclusive an item is the more desirable it becomes, we will agree to disagree on the ways of the Lambo, I personally love where they are and where they are heading, I am all for positive change and progress :icon_thumleft: