Apple Watch

ToofDoc

So all this hoopla about this watch is gaining momemtum and popularity. I decided to check it out.

It costs from $349 to $17,000!!! Yes $17,000 for a 18-karat gold cased 42 mm face version.

I love technology and may end up getting one to just join in the fun, lots of cool day to day implications and I can foresee many future in different industry's integrations (ie in medicine). So, how many of you are considering, how many of you are not considering, and how many of you are for sure getting one!

Pre-order starts on April 10th, shipment in April 24th!

Here's a through article and reviewing of features:

http://www.cnet.com/products/apple-watch/

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At some point there has to be a limit to how many computers we carry on our bodies/clothing everyday.

I equate this as sorta cool but also the equivalent of every car on the road being electric.

At some point there has to be a limit to how many computers we carry on our bodies/clothing everyday.

I equate this as sorta cool but also the equivalent of every car on the road being electric.

I can see car manufacturers integrate their car key/alarm into this watch thing in the future.

Vehicle locator...

Home security

Emergency notification to 911 (when elderly have fallen, ladies walking at night)

Possibility is endless

Yes. I'll probably get a 42mm steel case. My reasons are really because I have a decent investment in apple corp and I want them to do well as it means I do well. Additionally given my gains with apple the device is essentially free to me.

I can see car manufacturers integrate their car key/alarm into this watch thing in the future.

Vehicle locator...

Home security

Emergency notification to 911 (when elderly have fallen, ladies walking at night)

Possibility is endless

Right or even the key itself. Push to start everything without having to "forget" your keys.

Watch holds the info to allow you to start the car.

Calendar on watch is synced to your car so your next location / appointment address is automatically castes to your nav and heads up display

Opportunity is abundant for this watch

The battery life is and will continue to be a real problem. That said, pretty cool device - I am just going to be waiting for a better battery in the next iteration.

I read an article the other day on a golf page that made a great point. If they were able to devolp a way for the watch to track your swing it could improve many things in your game. I am by no means a great golfer but I think it would be pretty cool to be able to track a stat live like that.

Nope. Still haven't had an Apple product. The problem I see with this is knowing how much my phone goes off, if the,same is happening on your wrist in plain view, you're going to be looking at your wrist constantly. And likely feel distracted. One of my Nike fuelbands battery failed and I got warnings all the time and the flashing was very noticeable and annoying to the point I took it off.

Right or even the key itself. Push to start everything without having to "forget" your keys.

Watch holds the info to allow you to start the car.

Calendar on watch is synced to your car so your next location / appointment address is automatically castes to your nav and heads up display

Opportunity is abundant for this watch

The phone can handle all of this already and since you will always be carrying the phone anyway, what is the point? I heard a news guy the other day say that you will be able to sit in your car and answer the phone like Dick Tracy. I guess he never heard of Bluetooth? If you have to charge this thing every other day forget it. I walk into my kitchen and between my wife and kids it looks like a phone store with everything plugged in and charging. Crazy.

The phone can handle all of this already and since you will always be carrying the phone anyway, what is the point? I heard a news guy the other day say that you will be able to sit in your car and answer the phone like Dick Tracy. I guess he never heard of Bluetooth? If you have to charge this thing every other day forget it. I walk into my kitchen and between my wife and kids it looks like a phone store with everything plugged in and charging. Crazy.

Which app allows me to start my car with my iPhone? I'm seriously interested. Viper is a hardware module paired with an app.

Which app allows me to sync my calendar with the heads up so I can scan some quick notes on my next meeting without having to take my phone out?

I also think scanning the notes on the go between meetings is less cumbersome on a watch vs taking your phone out of your briefcase to view your calendar, take a call, check email , text, etc.

Also useful at the gym so you don't have to carry your phone to listen to music aND start your car when you are done.

Using my watch as a tv remote without having to have my cell phone in my pocket while I'm at home.

Watching my drop am in my baby's room at home or any security camera with motion detection. Your phone in your pocket is less prone to letting you feel vibration vs something strapped to your wrist.

The application of a wearble over a phone is there and use cases will only get better.

OnStar remote link app for iPhone allows you to lock, unlock and start your car in an OnStar equipped auto.

Before you say,"I don't have OnStar". Every car you want to start with your iPhone will need some kind of interface from the manufacturer, regardless of whether it is OnStar or something similar.

I don't want anything social or marketing on my wrist. I think I am lot happier without. I have only apple tech but not going to get this.

OnStar remote link app for iPhone allows you to lock, unlock and start your car in an OnStar equipped auto.

Before you say,"I don't have OnStar". Every car you want to start with your iPhone will need some kind of interface from the manufacturer, regardless of whether it is OnStar or something similar.

Correct so the app should be an open interface instead of HW centric.

Take a look at where the data centers of the world are going. Everything is going software driven. Onstar is a proprietary "solution"

Im looking for software that is open and can tell the devices on my car (comfort access on BMW ECU) how to behave

That is also only 1 use case out of the many that i mentioned. How do you address the rest?

Face it, wearables is the future......either get on the train or sit on the porch with grandpa and drink lemonade

Choice is yours :la:

And for the record, I dont have facebook, twitter, instragram or any of that social media as it does not apply to me. But a smart wearable that can help me control my surroundings and drive productivity in my day to day life would be welcomed

I think it's a very cool gadget and I like gadgets but the only reason I won't buy one is because I don't like wearing things on my hands, rings, bracelets and even watches and I LOVE watches.

I rarely wear my watch, mostly when I go out and only because I love the way it looks not because I need to know what time it is, that's what your phone is for :icon_mrgreen:

I think it's a very cool gadget and I like gadgets but the only reason I won't buy one is because I don't like wearing things on my hands, rings, bracelets and even watches and I LOVE watches.

I rarely wear my watch, mostly when I go out and only because I love the way it looks not because I need to know what time it is, that's what your phone is for :icon_mrgreen:

It is interesting how that has worked out, originally wristwatches were for women and men carried pocket watches. But then World War I happened and men found that wristwatches were much more convenient for telling time when out in the field. Now with smartphones, it has gone back to where your time telling device is something you carry around in a pocket or something.

As to locking/unlocking/starting a car with a watch, Toyota already had that technology for about 8 years now. It works just like any key fob but only built into a watch. So nothing new there.

Those who are hardcore Apple fans or those who want the latest toys/first person on the block to have the coolest gadget would no doubt buy one. I can't see myself getting one in the foreseeable future but if I do, it would be at least the Mark 2 or Mark 3 version as by then, it will all be debugged and Apple would have gained enough experiences to make it totally reliable and likely have longer battery life too.

I like Apple products and have many of them but I won't be getting this watch because I don't want to have to worry about having to recharge yet another device I carry around.

when i put on a watch these days i never even to bother to set the time, watches are bracelets to me now(last few years)

i dont get Apple watch, same shit as on the phone(for the most part) on a tiny screen, to much to fiddle around with. pass......

*meh* I don't wear a watch anymore, my phone is stupid, and I barely care what time it is or what's going on. I've learned the hard way which things to spend my fucks on, and my desire to be technically efficient is pretty low on that list. ...probably down near buying a more advanced toaster oven. It took me a year before I actually set the clock in the Diablo to the correct time and even then I was only doing it for the passenger's benefit. This ain't happinin' for me. It also does nothing to help me chase those damn kids off my lawn.

Yeah, Singleseat, gramps and I will come over and sit on your porch, drink some nice cool lemonade, and yell at those damn kids all afternoon.

*meh* I don't wear a watch anymore, my phone is stupid, and I barely care what time it is or what's going on. I've learned the hard way which things to spend my fucks on, and my desire to be technically efficient is pretty low on that list. ...probably down near buying a more advanced toaster oven. It took me a year before I actually set the clock in the Diablo to the correct time and even then I was only doing it for the passenger's benefit. This ain't happinin' for me. It also does nothing to help me chase those damn kids off my lawn.

Please tell me your microwave oven clock isn't blinking!!! I am coming to set it now!

I'll bet your gran Torino purrs like a kitty though.

Please tell me your microwave oven clock isn't blinking!!! I am coming to set it now!

It cant blink if it got's no power. I mean who keeps things plugged into wall outlet unless for momentarily that time you really need to use that specific device. ;D