Heads and Cam (and Clutch) Project?

JonV8944s

Ok, So I have owned my murcielago for about 3 years now, and I love it, but as much as I do, I still feel its not fast enough. I have gone back and forth between modding it, and just trading it in on a Mp4-12c. I kept it over the winter and wanted to get one more summer with it, but as I had expected, the clutch is up for replacement.

SO... my plan...

1. Get a new clutch install (possibly a Kevlar, or if no real advantage, go stock again).

2. Send my Heads to Greg Good (who did my heads on my Viper and made some excellent gains).

3. (See if there is the possibility of getting some more aggressive CAMs for the car, or have mine reground if possible)

4. Extrude hone the intake manifolds.

5. Install my lp640 differential that I have had on the shelf for a while (stronger, able to handle the power increase).

Anyone have ANY insight into any of this?

Any one have the steps for pulling the heads on the murci?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Jon

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your a pioneer in this Jon. You should send your car to someone like Jeff at Newport tho if your going to be pulling the motor apart like that. Ive found over the years there are a lot of little tricks when working on these cars that the service manual doesn't cover.

Not sure if you saw my thread but the factory exhaust manifolds suck major hairy goat balls and very restrictive. With my equal length runner headers and tune from EvoMS i went from 535awp to 625awp. That is more than 100hp at the crank. We did a dyno right after headers BEFORE the tune and gained 65whp just on the headers alone.

Why not save the hassle and just get a LP640 roadster. By doing what you have planned you are literally just burning $ -- the car will be worth less when you sell after the summer than if you just leave it alone or trade it now on something with the performance you want.

LP640 and those long tubes with a tune will be a massive gain over what the 6.2 will offer.

Lambo motor work is going to get real expensive real quick.

I actually seem to think Murci prices are firm and increasing a little... maybe I'm just losing my mind tho... Nicks LP is fcuking horny as hell. How much are the headers tho? They were one offs I thought

I actually seem to think Murci prices are firm and increasing a little... maybe I'm just losing my mind tho... Nicks LP is fcuking horny as hell. How much are the headers tho? They were one offs I thought

So a couple of things.

1. my car is getting a new clutch, its being done by a certified lambo tech who does side business at his home. He has worked on my car before under a previous lambo dealership.

a. He is quoting me $6750 out the door for the complete clutch (parts and labor)

b. I am going to see what he can do about pulling the heads off (Not sure on cost, but he informed me years ago, early murci's had a RECALL for their head gaskets and he has LOTS of experience while at Lamborghini pulling the heads on murci's under warranty. He was very unconcerned about yanking the heads so I could send them off (just didnt quote me price).

2. I am getting the heads ported by an industry expert, who on a previous car of mine netted me over 100+rwhp gains. He is only charging me $1800 for the complete job on the murci

3. Yeah, these fantastic headers we saw the post on, what I never saw was a follow up on when they would ever be for sale, so while they are a great option, if they arent for sale, whats the point? Has that changed??

Thanks!

Jon

So a couple of things.

1. my car is getting a new clutch, its being done by a certified lambo tech who does side business at his home. He has worked on my car before under a previous lambo dealership.

a. He is quoting me $6750 out the door for the complete clutch (parts and labor)

b. I am going to see what he can do about pulling the heads off (Not sure on cost, but he informed me years ago, early murci's had a RECALL for their head gaskets and he has LOTS of experience while at Lamborghini pulling the heads on murci's under warranty. He was very unconcerned about yanking the heads so I could send them off (just didnt quote me price).

2. I am getting the heads ported by an industry expert, who on a previous car of mine netted me over 100+rwhp gains. He is only charging me $1800 for the complete job on the murci

3. Yeah, these fantastic headers we saw the post on, what I never saw was a follow up on when they would ever be for sale, so while they are a great option, if they arent for sale, whats the point? Has that changed??

Thanks!

Jon

Side note, I think I am going to skip the lp640, even though its better, a modded murci for a few k more on a job I already have to do is going to be plenty good enough. Then when I'm ready, I'll jump to the Aventador. Just not seeing the point in getting the lp640 anymore, its better, but its not worlds better like the Aventador is.

Side note, I think I am going to skip the lp640, even though its better, a modded murci for a few k more on a job I already have to do is going to be plenty good enough. Then when I'm ready, I'll jump to the Aventador. Just not seeing the point in getting the lp640 anymore, its better, but its not worlds better like the Aventador is.

I am not sure if the Aventador is worlds better especially if you like the "feel" of the Murcielago. Performance numbers-wise, you are absolutely correct. But the feel of a raw Italian exotic is somewhat diluted in the Aventador. The Murci would be a more "engaging" drive if it can be termed that way.

Congrats on the new clutch and the mods. Keep us posted please.

I am not sure if the Aventador is worlds better especially if you like the "feel" of the Murcielago. Performance numbers-wise, you are absolutely correct. But the feel of a raw Italian exotic is somewhat diluted in the Aventador. The Murci would be a more "engaging" drive if it can be termed that way.

Congrats on the new clutch and the mods. Keep us posted please.

I got a quote on the heads pull and replace (I already mentioned the cost of the actual port job). Pulling and replacing heads for labor only is $900, but apparently I will need 2 head gaskets that aren't cheap.

Not dead yet :)

A guy I know did it to his 03. He also put in a Kevlar clutch. I think he said it makes 700 at the crank but I can't confirm that.

As an order of operations, headers/exhaust come way before head work. You start at the tailpipe and work forward. All the head/cam work in the world won't do shit if it's breathing through a coffee straw.

Yeah but I haven't seen a price or availability for these magical headers. They're mentioned a lot but??

PM Alpha, i'm sure he can put you in touch with his fabricator. If jigs are made it should be easy to replicate from here on out.

As far as I know, the headers are available, just PM him.

If you're planning on going Aventador and just toying with the Murci, then it's not worth the $$ to jump into an LP640. But if you are trying to get the most out of the chassis, LP is the way to go (which is what I was thinking).

As far as I know, the headers are available, just PM him.

If you're planning on going Aventador and just toying with the Murci, then it's not worth the $$ to jump into an LP640. But if you are trying to get the most out of the chassis, LP is the way to go (which is what I was thinking).

In order of operation, isn't the situation or concern. Its that the clutch is already on my todo list, and so to SAVE overhead, the HEADS on a Murci aren't really removable without the motor out, so I would NEVER take on this activity if it wasn't already 'sunk cost' on an engine pull happening.

Honestly if its $4k total cost for all work and labor to get a set of free flowing heads, then why not? I'll lose more then that in 'sales tax' just by switching to an lp640.

Whiteout, pm me your number, I dont have it exactly on me, I'd like to do a quick chat on clutches. Side note, so you sold your murci and got an lp640? Where is that post? :)

Thanks,

Jon

I agree with everyone. You can hone and do whatever to the heads and it is not going to gain you anything. The factory headers are so restrictive its insane. Power levels off at 1200-1500rpm before redline and almost starts to fall off including torque. After headers along the power climbs all the way to 8200rpm and never even levels off. Tuners all said assuming I could rev this to 9000RPM, it would make another 40whp. There is not a single person that has actually dissected the factory headers and see how crappy they are.

Every single person told me "Oh Lambo didnt leave anything on the table blah blah..." But here you have a high revving engine that has these tiny runners that make the most sharp obtuse angles it can possibly make. It makes sense from factory cause they had to make the compact enough to be able to put and and remove easily and keep them fairly compact. When you make these all 1/4" larger in diameter, and all equal length imagine how much of a difference that makes and how much better that engine can make. In all honestly none of us should be surprised by the results. Low revving domestic cars that max out at 6200RPM gain 40-45whp with a set of good headers so an efficient engine that revs to north of 8000RPM makes perfect sense that gained 70+whp. With the headers and tune i shaved 0.9 seconds in my 60-130mph time. That is a 12-13 car length difference if my stock car and new one lined up at 50mph and hit it at the same time.

In order of operation, isn't the situation or concern. Its that the clutch is already on my todo list, and so to SAVE overhead, the HEADS on a Murci aren't really removable without the motor out, so I would NEVER take on this activity if it wasn't already 'sunk cost' on an engine pull happening.

Honestly if its $4k total cost for all work and labor to get a set of free flowing heads, then why not? I'll lose more then that in 'sales tax' just by switching to an lp640.

Whiteout, pm me your number, I dont have it exactly on me, I'd like to do a quick chat on clutches. Side note, so you sold your murci and got an lp640? Where is that post? :)

Thanks,

Jon

For an additional $4k, its worth getting the headwork vs. LP. While the heads are off, you should look at the intake manifold runners and see if they can be gasket matched to flow better into the motor.

PM sent about my number.

Thanks!

Here are some better pictures:

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?...c=75750&hl=

I agree with everyone. You can hone and do whatever to the heads and it is not going to gain you anything. The factory headers are so restrictive its insane. Power levels off at 1200-1500rpm before redline and almost starts to fall off including torque. After headers along the power climbs all the way to 8200rpm and never even levels off. Tuners all said assuming I could rev this to 9000RPM, it would make another 40whp. There is not a single person that has actually dissected the factory headers and see how crappy they are.

Every single person told me "Oh Lambo didnt leave anything on the table blah blah..." But here you have a high revving engine that has these tiny runners that make the most sharp obtuse angles it can possibly make. It makes sense from factory cause they had to make the compact enough to be able to put and and remove easily and keep them fairly compact. When you make these all 1/4" larger in diameter, and all equal length imagine how much of a difference that makes and how much better that engine can make. In all honestly none of us should be surprised by the results. Low revving domestic cars that max out at 6200RPM gain 40-45whp with a set of good headers so an efficient engine that revs to north of 8000RPM makes perfect sense that gained 70+whp. With the headers and tune i shaved 0.9 seconds in my 60-130mph time. That is a 12-13 car length difference if my stock car and new one lined up at 50mph and hit it at the same time.

With ported heads and these headers, it would be interesting to see what gains the 6.2 would make.

FYI, they want 8,000 for the headers, so I'm sorry that's not an option. They also require your car on site as its an in-house job. Each set is custom made to your car. No jigs, so no mass production. There has to be other options.

I'll keep you guys posted on how things go.