Exhaust system question on LP640

Minte

I'm sure you guys are getting tired of my questions. As soon as the manual arrives for my car I promise to read it!

The question, the car has a Larini exhaust system. I am already hearing that my neighbors are considering a petition to have me removed because of the volume. It is very loud.

I don't want to give up the amazing noise out on the road, but driving the car through town is not going to end well. My wife says she can hear it 5 minutes before I arrive..and I am doing what I can to keep it quiet.

I need some suggestions.

I'm sure you guys are getting tired of my questions. As soon as the manual arrives for my car I promise to read it!

The question, the car has a Larini exhaust system. I am already hearing that my neighbors are considering a petition to have me removed because of the volume. It is very loud.

I don't want to give up the amazing noise out on the road, but driving the car through town is not going to end well. My wife says she can hear it 5 minutes before I arrive..and I am doing what I can to keep it quiet.

I need some suggestions.

If you really want to make it more quiet, look around in the classified, or make a thread looking to buy a used stock system. A lot o people have switched out, and some may have kept it for whatever reason. Make them an offer, and then if you aren't mechanically inclined, consider contacting the nearest local dealer (which for you I believe is Gold Coast) and ask them if they would install it for you. Otherwise, ask the dealer if they have any stock systems laying around and would they consider selling. You may check with some of our board sponsors that do exhaust work, they may have a stock system they would sell you on the cheap.

My suggestions would to be keep the exhaust and drive it more often to piss off the neighbors. Or just get more property. I hate neighborhoods :lol2:

I had the same problem with my first Murcie because it was straight piped with an ugly obnoxious exhaust. You could look at getting removable silencers. They're really cheap. You shove them into the tips. Keep them in till you clear your neighborhood.

image.jpg

Both good plans, I think for the long term that converting it back to factory has the most merit. I do have a maintenance staff in the company that I would trust to do the install. However, does changing exhaust systems require any modifications to the ECU?

All this being said, if any of you LP640 owners reading this thread have a stock system you want to sell, or want a loud after-market system send me a PM.

Both good plans, I think for the long term that converting it back to factory has the most merit. I do have a maintenance staff in the company that I would trust to do the install. However, does changing exhaust systems require any modifications to the ECU?

All this being said, if any of you LP640 owners reading this thread have a stock system you want to sell, or want a loud after-market system send me a PM.

I'm sure if you offered a trade for your larini you'd get a bite. One thing to check before getting a new exhaust is that you have your primary cats.

Shouldn't need to tune the car for the exhaust removal.

Man the neighborhood thing is some BS. No other way to put it. I hate how everyone now adopts a cause and is "determined" to take a stand and make a "difference". As long as your not driving it a midnight all the time then there shouldn't be an issue. Total BS. Sorry rant over.

FYI, stock exhaust is SILENT and will add 100lbs to the car.

Keep the rpm's low in the neighborhood. Your db level is within the legal limit and well below a Harley's db (if you have your primary cats).

Man the neighborhood thing is some BS. No other way to put it. I hate how everyone now adopts a cause and is "determined" to take a stand and make a "difference". As long as your not driving it a midnight all the time then there shouldn't be an issue. Total BS. Sorry rant over.

It's BS until you're the victim of it. I keep my rpm's low until I'm on a main road.

You should be me.

I keep mine with LNB exhaust and no secondary cats in the 3rd floor down in an (enclosed) underground parking lot, when I either go out or in car alarms are going off for 10 mins after.

did they remove the primaries? if the primaries are removed it is very very loud. If not, I can't imagine it being so loud they are complaining. If the primaries are gone, i would recommend putting some of those back in and go from there.

Mine has a larini and it isn't that loud at all ...you are either revving it too high or have insane neighbours. Larini is quiet in my opinion

I'd guess it's missing the primary cats.

You should be me.

I keep mine with LNB exhaust and no secondary cats in the 3rd floor down in an (enclosed) underground parking lot, when I either go out or in car alarms are going off for 10 mins after.

I have this setup too. It's MUCH quieter than straight pipes.

did they remove the primaries? if the primaries are removed it is very very loud. If not, I can't imagine it being so loud they are complaining. If the primaries are gone, i would recommend putting some of those back in and go from there.

I have been away on business for a couple of days. It will be early next week that my local mechanic will have a chance to see what is actually there. I am guessing the primaries are removed.

Open the engine cover and look down towards the back of the engine.

This is what aftermarket primary cat deletes look like:

00869274.jpg

This is what OEM primary cats look like:

DSC04533.jpg

I like driving early in the morning, when it's really quiet out. I drive 20 miles one way to work, on fabulous curvy ,hilly country roads.. I do take my cars to the office, weather permitting.

My neighbors haven't ever been a-holes about my cars, because I try and be as quiet as possible leaving. The guy closest to me is the chief of surgery at the hospital and he works all hours of the day. Ultimately, I don't like how loud the car is. Once it's out on the road it sounds incredible, but getting to that road is the issue.

Open the engine cover and look down towards the back of the engine.

This is what aftermarket primary cat deletes look like:

00869274.jpg

This is what OEM primary cats look like:

DSC04533.jpg

Thankyou for the pictures. I'll check that tonight and see what I really need.

• 2 weeks later...

My previous 2003 Murcie with Larini 200 cel sports cats, Larini straight thru pipes, sport filters along with an ecu tune sounded like rock n roll. Lucky for my neighbors I didn't start her up everyday. But boy did she sound beautiful on the highways cruising.