Top Gear

eddiemc2

I think I just became more of a Fifth Gear fan. ;) I'm excited to hear from Sabine and LeBlanc, but that's about it. Not sure how I feel about the other hosts.

On a lighter note:

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Matt is actually a big car guy. Has modded Porsches for years and when the old Top Gear closed he was top of the leaderboard.

This is the thing, again, people write it off without seeing a show. The show had a chemistry between those three which came from years of working together.

No way can a show straight off the bat have that genuine appeal, that is where the American Version messed up so the show will be Chris Evans and then mixing up the presenters to keep it fresh.

Also the BBC are learning from the Clarkson problem, not making the presenters the sole focus point of the show and going back to the ORIGINAL format of Top Gear.

Also did you actually think it was Clarkson actually sliding it around the track in the car? Nope.

I like Clarkson but at the same time I hope this new show can be a hit without him.

Annoyed by his arrogance and the unconditional worship his fans give him.

And now suddenly Hammond and May are irreplaceable superstars?

How spoiled we all are....a car show has to have riveting personalities.

I remember as a kid in '88 stumbling onto Motorweek and being excited. If you've never watched , catch a few minutes on YouTube, lol.

Final line up

Cue it will be rubbish, it is finished, I am never going to watch it and all other moans

Bloody Hell; is one of them a girl? Whatever next? A German, (Fawlty)?

Certainly willing to give them the opportunity to make something of this; the Beeb have given us some great products over recent years, (discounting claptrap such as The Voice, or Strictly Cum Dancing). However, if it is shite, then it will be evident within the first four shows or so.

Of course, there will be the inevitable backlash if it becomes a success; we English love to build 'em up & knock 'em down again, but at least it keeps the talent fresh that way.

(A bit worried about the inclusion of Eddie J, tho; he was genuinely cringe-worthy when attempting to appear controversial reporting F1...).

Bloody Hell; is one of them a girl? Whatever next? A German, (Fawlty)?

Certainly willing to give them the opportunity to make something of this; the Beeb have given us some great products over recent years, (discounting claptrap such as The Voice, or Strictly Cum Dancing). However, if it is shite, then it will be evident within the first four shows or so.

Of course, there will be the inevitable backlash if it becomes a success; we English love to build 'em up & knock 'em down again, but at least it keeps the talent fresh that way.

(A bit worried about the inclusion of Eddie J, tho; he was genuinely cringe-worthy when attempting to appear controversial reporting F1...).

Completely agree. The thing with Eddie, 9/10 he said something batshit crazy and broke a major rumour story it actually turned out to be true. But yes, worried about his inclusion but with BBC dropping F1 and David Coulthard moving with his production company to Channel 4 the mad Irish eejit had to something to pay for his yacht's upkeep.

Final line up

Cue it will be rubbish, it is finished, I am never going to watch it and all other moans

.image.jpeg

I will definitely watch it..... right up until the point where Evans brings on one of his kids.

In fact would anybody like to make a small wager with me on how long it will be into the first episode until Evans makes reference to one of his kids? I've got £10 says it will happen within the first 7 minutes.

it wouldn't be a total surprise if it was rubbish.... and in fact looking at that pretty strong lineup and bearing in mind the disappointment that was the last series of TFI Friday, I wonder if it wouldn't be better without Evans???

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Its weird seeing them do all the jokes and deliveries that were so uniquely Clarkson, Hammond and May. Reliant? Throwing up at the track? Even the over the top yelling at the camera while driving are all so part of the characters from the original TG. I feel like I'm watching a comedian trying to replicate another comedians act.

They should have done their own thing instead of trying to clone the original TG.

Its weird seeing them do all the jokes and deliveries that were so uniquely Clarkson, Hammond and May. Reliant? Throwing up at the track? Even the over the top yelling at the camera while driving are all so part of the characters from the original TG. I feel like I'm watching a comedian trying to replicate another comedians act.

They should have done their own thing instead of trying to clone the original TG.

:iamwithstupid: When does the other show start?

:iamwithstupid: When does the other show start?

I heard it was supposed to be very soon. They've ditched a studio setting and I recently read an article about how Jeremy was almost deathly injured during a recent shoot.

*shrug* didn't see anything that will make me want to watch it. It just comes off like they're trying too hard and smells like desperation. Plus, it looks like it has as much chemistry as the American version, which is another way of saying zero. [/gloom] ...but I can appreciate everyone's optimism for it.

• 1 month later...
You know. Not that bad.

It's out finally? Do you know where someone in the US can watch it? Last I saw, the BBC site that does feature shows is limited UK citizens only. :/

Watching on iplayer now which is UK only.

Chris Evans is a little eager but plays against Matt's dryness. Entertainment is alright then the a web program where Harris etc go through the news segment to appeal to proper car fans.

Same over drama entertainment but no worse than Clarkson and co.

You know. Not that bad.

Watching on iplayer now which is UK only.

Chris Evans is a little eager but plays against Matt's dryness. Entertainment is alright then the a web program where Harris etc go through the news segment to appeal to proper car fans.

Same over drama entertainment but no worse than Clarkson and co.

Not that good either. They used the same punchlines as the old TG crew, I was expecting them to do their own thing, they don't need to copy them. Matt Leblanc sucked, he was really boring to watch, Evans is cool but he tries too hard. Loved the Viper vs POS segment. They don't do the over drama entertainment like the old crew, that's why I think the show would have been better if they did their own thing with their own brand of humour, jokes etc. Interactions between the new hosts felt dry, I guess the chemistry isn't there, not yet at least, I'm open minded though, perhaps the show will get better.