Worth importing a Canadian Aventador?

Given the currently favorable exchange rate, is it worth it to take advantage and bring a Canadian Aventador to the U.S.?

What would you pay for a decently equipped early (2012) CA Aventador with sub-5000 miles in one of the desirable colors ($320k car if U.S. spec)?

Strong feedback. Why?

Grey market car gonna be worth less forever. Only would be good on a collectible car because you could possibly recoup in rarity.

I bought from the US all the time and had no problem reselling in Canada. Now I sell to americans and it does not lower the price of the vehicle. If I was you I would take advantage of the situation if you can find one at a decent price.

Moved to General. Worth discussing since the CAD has shit itself.

TOPIC - is it worth buying Canadian car at cheaper prices and bringing to the US?

Are you a buyer looking or a dealer selling?

Buyer looking. Targeting an early '12 Aventador with low miles (sub-5000). Trying to get an idea of what's a good number for this given the "grey market" status here in the US.

And what makes Canadian cars grey market cars? What is undesirable about them in US, given the bumper laws have now been homologated?

I'm going off of what Assman said earlier in the thread. Personally, I can't point to actual technical reasons for Canadian cars being considered second class citizens beyond the simple fact that they're Canadian.

The only inconvenience would be the speedo/odo being in kilometers instead of miles. Other than that, they are identical. And with the AV's TFT display, it probably won't be too difficult to re-config them to miles.

The only inconvenience would be the speedo/odo being in kilometers instead of miles. Other than that, they are identical. And with the AV's TFT display, it probably won't be too difficult to re-config them to miles.

Sounds right. Anyone do this to an Aventador yet? Is this a quick visit to the dealer?

Americans don't like buying grey market cars, period. Make sure you buy it right, because it will be tough to unload. You could sell it back in Canada, but that could be tough too. Jonas, I don't know of anyone buying Canadian cars here in the US, I am not saying they don't, but no one I know.

That said, I could be wrong. I would love to hear stories to the contrary. I know quite a few dealers that try to wholesale their cars into the US, but I don't know anyone personally that has bought any. Maybe, if we were talking Carrera GT, 918, LaF, P1, or other hyper cars. But like I said, lets see it. I don't know that you are going to get a better enough deal to take the risk of resale purgatory you might suffer here stateside.

I don't understand why they are labeled gray market at all if they're coming from Canada either. The only reason I wouldn't buy one from someone who had imported it from Canada is the rust/salt issue, but other than that I don't know why it'd be looked down on.

Carfax / autocheck won't show issues, you'd need to run their version of it to get a full story.

Americans don't like buying grey market cars, period. Make sure you buy it right, because it will be tough to unload. You could sell it back in Canada, but that could be tough too. Jonas, I don't know of anyone buying Canadian cars here in the US, I am not saying they don't, but no one I know.

That said, I could be wrong. I would love to hear stories to the contrary. I know quite a few dealers that try to wholesale their cars into the US, but I don't know anyone personally that has bought any. Maybe, if we were talking Carrera GT, 918, LaF, P1, or other hyper cars. But like I said, lets see it. I don't know that you are going to get a better enough deal to take the risk of resale purgatory you might suffer here stateside.

I just sold 2 to the states and I'm not even a dealer. Dealers I know are selling 70% to states since the exchange has gone up.

Rouleur, have you heard any specific reasons as to why Americans don't like importing cars from Canada? I know next to nothing about the process but with the dollar the way it is I feel like a buyer who could import a car he/she likes from Canada but doesn't because "it's from Canada" is doing themselves a huge disservice.

Luxeous, the salt/rust concern really shouldn't be an issue. The only cars that suffer bad from the winter road salt that I have seen are typically from back east like Ontario but with the winters they typically see I would think most exotics are parked for that time. Alberta uses sand/gravel for most if not all of the provence I believe and BC uses a chemical deicer.

Rouleur, have you heard any specific reasons as to why Americans don't like importing cars from Canada? I know next to nothing about the process but with the dollar the way it is I feel like a buyer who could import a car he/she likes from Canada but doesn't because "it's from Canada" is doing themselves a huge disservice.

Luxeous, the salt/rust concern really shouldn't be an issue. The only cars that suffer bad from the winter road salt that I have seen are typically from back east like Ontario but with the winters they typically see I would think most exotics are parked for that time. Alberta uses sand/gravel for most if not all of the provence I believe and BC uses a chemical deicer.

Over here on the canadian east coast, the only exotics from our exotics club that run during the winter are a couple of bentleys and r8, which are all higher mileage and used as daily drivers. I would say 90% of the cars are stored long before the first snow fall

It isn't a rust stigma, it is just the fact that it isn't a US registered car from the start. I guess it works for folks that want to save money, but the fact that you can have warranty issues, servicing issues from NA dealers and the like, coupled with the fact that historically grey market cars have always been worth less (Porsche 911 Turbo from the early years being a prime example), folks generally don't want to touch them.

Also, when the price is less, getting people over the hump of "whats wrong with it" sometimes makes a difference too. Personally, I would rather have a US spec and delivered car, as would folks I deal with. Price could be a consideration I guess, I have just never dealt with anyone that would like to have a US car over a Canadian car based on price.

Just my .02, I am sure lots of folks do it. I just never would.

I just bought a Canadian for the first time - a 6-speed LP640. Getting the car to the states has been a PITA. I paid for the car on Nov 9th and haven't taken possession of it yet, I'll finally have it on Feb 3rd. However, having gone through the process now, it's actually very simple to get them US compliant as they're practically identical to US spec cars. If you're dealing with right company it's only a 2 week process, not 3 months like my case. If the deal is right I would do it again. Also on a plus note, I got a steal on it thanks to the conversion rate.