Home Networking Suggestions?

Destructo

So for all you tech guys, I need some recommendations.

I currently have my house hard wired with Cat5e and coaxial (RG6 I believe) outlets throughout. But haven't finished the home network set up. I'm wondering what parts I'm going to need to finish it up.

So in some quick reading I see recommendations for a gigabyte switch. I do some online gaming, and am doing more streaming video (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) and a couple SmartTV's, so I figure that's good to have? Not entirely sure what it's function is, nood on board.

Does the amount of outlets make a difference? Will having each "active" reduced the signal? Would it be good to have a signal booster regardless?

I'd like to make it a secure network considering gaming, and potentially build a in-house cloud backup, what might I need to make it work well together? I currently have a wireless network, will the hard-wire be a second network?

I already have my modem, which handles up to 25gigs per second and a wireless router for handheld devices. But I'm just trying to put together my parts list so I can get this wrapped up.

Thanks in advance folks! I sure I'm missing things.

How much do you want to be involved in the switch config? Managed switch or just set it up, plug it in and tweak a setting or two? I have a NetGear Prosafe 12 port that I did not need in my server rack. Huge overkill, but secure and fast. How long will you be running cables? After some distance (based on cable quality, usually 50ft), you should add another switch.

How much do you want to be involved in the switch config? Managed switch or just set it up, plug it in and tweak a setting or two? I have a NetGear Prosafe 12 port that I did not need in my server rack. Huge overkill, but secure and fast. How long will you be running cables? After some distance (based on cable quality, usually 50ft), you should add another switch.

I'm looking for minimal maintenance and involvement.

Yeah, I do have some runs longer than 50'. Currently there are 9 rooms wired, a few have 2-3 outlets. I can get away with not having each room active though.

Netgear is better since the Cisco merger years ago. they make consumer-level ProSAFE switches. Linksys is garbage.

Where do you get the 50' limitation from?

Where do you get the 50' limitation from?

The old days of networking and experience of badly spliced bulk cables. Any electrician will tell you length = resistance, and if it is getting buried in walls, you never know when things will stretch, bend or get nibbled.

We use this all of the time:

https://www.ruckuswireless.com/products/sys...tor-controllers

We also use this:

http://www.pakedge.com/

These are the two primary brands that industry techs use on a frequent basis. Depending on the house size and materials used would typically dictate which brand.

Also if we integrating any automation products helps with the recommendations.

I recently switched from pakedge to Ubiquiti for both home and for my office. Went with wireless access points and the switch for home and added a Netgear Nighthawk router; just the access points at the office (have a huge switch already there). Big improvement for me with hand-off between access points and switching in and out of 5g. I also got one of the guys on here to take over my work IT systems and he's gotten it well sorted.

https://www.ubnt.com

Cat5e is good for 300 meters. The Coax will depend on number of splitters. RG6 is good for I think 150 feet, but once you start putting splitters in the line, it's going to degrade the signal.

The old days of networking and experience of badly spliced bulk cables. Any electrician will tell you length = resistance, and if it is getting buried in walls, you never know when things will stretch, bend or get nibbled.

If they are CAT5/CAT6 they are rated at 100 meters or about 300', so I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers from.

Cat5e is good for 300 meters. The Coax will depend on number of splitters. RG6 is good for I think 150 feet, but once you start putting splitters in the line, it's going to degrade the signal.

CAT5e is good for about 300 feet, not meters. 100 meters.

If they are CAT5/CAT6 they are rated at 100 meters or about 300', so I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers from.

CAT5e is good for about 300 feet, not meters. 100 meters.

Ahh, yeah sorry, 100 meters

Just ordered a 24 port Netgear ProSafe gigabit switch. Seems like it'll be fairly straight forward to set up. It'll be nice to have it finished up. We'll see how much of a pain it is relocating the cable modem (being the Comcast is so helpful) :lol2:

Comcast is such a pain in the ass. Trying to deal with them now. I'm currently not under any contract and I'm trying to switch to an offer that's only for new customers. Looks like I have to cancel service and set everything up again from scratch instead of them just switching my plan on the backend.

Edit: I was able to get the plan I wanted after spending like 2 hours talking to different reps.

I got one of these http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-En...i/dp/B00HXT8R2O to set up a seperate WiFi network in the house and it works flawlessly. I'm pretty sure you can set it as an extender as well. I have not had to do anything with it since I set it up 2 years ago.

I've seen those.

I do have wireless in the house right now. I'll still keep that. I'm just going to move the router into the central part of the house to help. That'll only be the wireless devices, phones, tablets and laptops. Granted I've got enough network cables around to just plug in a laptop if I need to download something to.

LOVE the dial up sounds btw hahah