Friend charged with felony assault 2

07pearl

Hey Guys Thanks for all the helpfull tips.

This Shit seems so unreal and just keeps getting worse . So today at his first preliminary hearing via cctv . His charges were upped and more added.

He is now facing

1 count of felony Assault 1

2 counts of felony assault 2

1 count of Menacing

1 count of Recklessy Endangering another person

His bail was Held at 250k and they have told him he can not return to Canada or even leave Oregon .

To Make matters worse the jail only accepts CASH CASH paper bills to pay his bail so now I have to figure out how to get 25k in cash down there. I was told there are some bail services I can wire the money to that will in return bring it to the jail , so im in the process of looking for one of those services .

He was in good spirits and doing ok untill this hearing and now seeing how serious this is he is crushed and doesnt even seem to be all there when talking to him.

He has a hearing for pretrial motions next week Wednesday I believe , so now we need to find a good Lawyer thats not going to cost 100k+ . I don't mind helping him out and paying his bail of 25k when I know he can pay me back some time but 100-150k lawyer and 25k bail all in US funds would cost me like 250k Canadian and I cant do that . so I feel so upset with this and dont know my best way to proceed.

Alot of what you guys have said has me thinking tho .

What is really the best course of action . I believe after I talk to him tonight he will probably just stay in jail untill his pre trial motions next week and then if the lawyer cant get it reduced or some sort of plea done, thats when I think its best to bail him out.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i thought you said bail was 250k , how did it change to 25k , typo . My guess is that a good lawyer will cost up to 100k easily .A simple assault charge in Canada can cost 50 to 60k in legals .

i thought you said bail was 250k , how did it change to 25k , typo . My guess is that a good lawyer will cost up to 100k easily .A simple assault charge in Canada can cost 50 to 60k in legals .

Yea bail is still 250k but they will let you out for 10 percent security of 25k

Yea bail is still 250k but they will let you out for 10 percent security of 25k

The issue w a bondsman is they keep the 10% whereas if you supply the whole $250 k you get it all at trial.

IMO. Public defender and let him make his own way. As others have said, looking out for his family while he is away would be the thing to do. Hopefully he learns from it.

Hey Guys Thanks for all the helpfull tips.

This Shit seems so unreal and just keeps getting worse . So today at his first preliminary hearing via cctv . His charges were upped and more added.

He is now facing

1 count of felony Assault 1

2 counts of felony assault 2

1 count of Menacing

1 count of Recklessy Endangering another person

His bail was Held at 250k and they have told him he can not return to Canada or even leave Oregon .

To Make matters worse the jail only accepts CASH CASH paper bills to pay his bail so now I have to figure out how to get 25k in cash down there. I was told there are some bail services I can wire the money to that will in return bring it to the jail , so im in the process of looking for one of those services .

He was in good spirits and doing ok untill this hearing and now seeing how serious this is he is crushed and doesnt even seem to be all there when talking to him.

He has a hearing for pretrial motions next week Wednesday I believe , so now we need to find a good Lawyer thats not going to cost 100k+ . I don't mind helping him out and paying his bail of 25k when I know he can pay me back some time but 100-150k lawyer and 25k bail all in US funds would cost me like 250k Canadian and I cant do that . so I feel so upset with this and dont know my best way to proceed.

Alot of what you guys have said has me thinking tho .

What is really the best course of action . I believe after I talk to him tonight he will probably just stay in jail untill his pre trial motions next week and then if the lawyer cant get it reduced or some sort of plea done, thats when I think its best to bail him out.

2 counts of Assault 2? How many times did he hit the guy?

The bad news... Thats a shit load of counts...

The good news- My guess they plead out the felonies and leave him with the lesser included misdemeanors... Is his record clean other wise?

If you use a bond you don't get the 25k back. If you want all your money back you need to put up the 250k in full.

It is interesting that the prosecutor added a single charge of felony assault 1, that usually means he has a prior record of assault (assuming he did not hit a child or a pregnant woman, and did not hit the victim while driving under the influence). Some jurisdictions allow the prosecutor to up the charge if the perpetrator was intoxicated, though I am not familiar with Oregon law so not sure how they do things there.

As far as bonding out, being that you are not a US citizen and are living out of the country, I highly doubt you will find a bond agent willing to work with you for 10%.

Either way your next move should be to hire a lawyer for him.

It is interesting that the prosecutor added a single charge of felony assault 1, that usually means he has a prior record of assault (assuming he did not hit a child or a pregnant woman, and did not hit the victim while driving under the influence). Some jurisdictions allow the prosecutor to up the charge if the perpetrator was intoxicated, though I am not familiar with Oregon law so not sure how they do things there.

ADW.

$25k and run for the border.

This....either way he'll be banned from entering the US again. Why not avoid the time and the $25k is a steal considering the alternative. Not sure on extradition laws for Canada to US though. Good luck on getting bond.

2 counts of Assault 2? How many times did he hit the guy?

The bad news... Thats a shit load of counts...

The good news- My guess they plead out the felonies and leave him with the lesser included misdemeanors... Is his record clean other wise?

Yea his record is squeaky clean up here and he has no record down in the states at all being a Canadian .

I got him a good lawyer today that I really liked after talking to him and he feels the same as this post that it should be easy to plead down to the lesser misdemeanours and avoid jail .

He is going to see him this afternoon and then request discovery and also pay the bail that I'm wiring down to him .

Good lawyer it seems. And is only charging a reasonable flare rate unless it goes to trial .

This....either way he'll be banned from entering the US again. Why not avoid the time and the $25k is a steal considering the alternative. Not sure on extradition laws for Canada to US though. Good luck on getting bond.

We have extradition treaty so he would have to hide for the rest of his life up here and that's a lot of weight to carry knowing you could get sent back at anytime .

Glad you found a descent lawyer, it will make a big difference. As others already mentioned, he'll likely have a chance to plea to a misdemeanor with little to no jail. Being his first offence should make a difference too. Could all be over at next week's hearing....

Yea his record is squeaky clean up here and he has no record down in the states at all being a Canadian .

I got him a good lawyer today that I really liked after talking to him and he feels the same as this post that it should be easy to plead down to the lesser misdemeanours and avoid jail .

He is going to see him this afternoon and then request discovery and also pay the bail that I'm wiring down to him .

Good lawyer it seems. And is only charging a reasonable flare rate unless it goes to trial .

One question, why bail him out if he can't even leave the country? So now he you spend more $$ so he can sit in a hotel for an unknown period of time? This could be over in two weeks so you would have paid north of $2k/day just so he can do literally nothing but wait?

You're an awesome friend but I really can't see the point to bailing him out, it isn't like this will drag on for months and he can be home with his family.

OUr founding fathers wanted us to be able to use pool cues at will, but they never anticipated the invention of bar-fight-automatic-assault style pool cues. But how else can one defend oneself in pool halls when the likes of Stevey Ray Vaughn and ZZ Top are blasting through the speakers getting everyone worked up?

Canadians seem very violent.

Just look how their deranged Prime Minister Trudeau, elbowed and shoved that poor female member of their Parliament a few weeks ago.

Perhaps we need a wall on the northern border, too.

Just look how their deranged Prime Minister Trudeau, elbowed and shoved that poor female member of their Parliament a few weeks ago.

Canadian Wall Slightly NSFW Language

Why "poor female member" I think you are discriminating here, the PC Police will pick you up this afternoon and I am NOT posting bail for you!

Fortunately I was able to get my concealed cue carry permit.

Going forward it'll be much more difficult :rolleyes: