The Modern Man Thread

Supercar Ace

I gotta say I am impressed with this forum, which is why I stick around. We share the love of cars, Lambos, etc. However, when it comes to this stuff we all seem to have different ideas and opinions, and no one here is shitting on each other for it. We may differ, we may see a variance, and different things make us happy. But the amount of respect everyone here shows each other is impressive. I can't say I am able to have these types of conversations on other forums, most people get vastly offended, or pissy, or uppity, for people having a different opinion.

Keep it classy LP, I love you guys.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree with the feeling that more guys in general are opting out of the wife/kids route in life due to seeing how the odds are heavily stacked against the guy. I personally don't want kids (I don't feel the want or need to be a parent) but I also don't want to be married either. Several factors are at play here (being single is a lot of fun and gives me freedom) but a large factor is when looking at marriage as it stands presently from an objective view point, the guy has to assume an incredible amount of risk for a small amount (if any) of reward. Not knocking marriage and for those that have done it I wish you all a lifetime of happiness. For me, I think the system is a bit antiquated and 1 sided, but I also don't believe in monogamy which is a whole other topic and discussion.

I think the natural human urge is quite obviously not to be monogamous, but that doesn't help raise a well adjusted next generation, it creates more chaos with everyone just looking out for themselves.

BTW I'm not married at 36. Yes I am still having fun but there is not much more I need to do as a single guy. I'm yet to find someone I want to commit to and I'm still accumulating wealth/improving my income to a level I'm comfortable with. Still improving my vetting skills too!

Another thing I want to add, everyone talks about lifting for physical strength, but mental strength is probably equally if not more important.

Another thing I want to add, everyone talks about lifting for physical strength, but mental strength is probably equally if not more important.

:iamwithstupid:

Yes, very true.

As far as the kids discussion I see it both ways:

Looked at rationally, kids almost make no sense with the expense and burden they propose to most people.

So in order for it to make sense, there has to be an overwhelming joy that accompanies all of that.

At some point we all find mates, and probably will live life and cross a lot of items off the bucket list....both personal achievements, toys acquired, etc.

Then what?

That's how I see kids figure into the grander scheme. A lifetime of challenges, very unpredictable in good and bad ways. Get to experience things you never would have if you didn't have them.

I don't have kids, but this is how I see it based on discussion with many who do.

Perhaps the bigger issue is having them too soon....which is similar to the typical marriage argument.

This post is not to influence others but is something I'll be thinking about myself at some point when the time comes.

Hey buddy, curious, how old are you?

I felt the same way for a long time, never thought I was ready for kids, etc. I'm probably still not, but at 35 (now) it's become a more common discussion between my wife and I. I assume at some point she'll make a decision, which the ramifications of will be revealed to me via repainting a bedroom in some very peculiar colors :lol2:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Listen to this cool story, I have two girls 13 and 11, 3 years ago my wife sits on the edge of the bed, I can see she isn't feeling 100%, I said, jokingly, don't tell me you are pregnant!

She says "How did you know??"

My reaction: :shock: :shock: :shock: I DIDN'T KNOW!! :lol2:

Now I have the most gorgeous boy in the world, who is nuts about cars :icon_super:

I will do you one even better, after the first few seconds of shock, the next thought which came in my mind was: Damn, they don't have any cool cars which are a 5 seater! My life is ruined :lol2:

Yes, very true.

Looked at rationally, kids almost make no sense with the expense and burden they propose to most people.

So in order for it to make sense, there has to be an overwhelming joy that accompanies all of that.

At some point we all find mates, and probably will live life and cross a lot of items off the bucket list....both personal achievements, toys acquired, etc.

Then what?

That's how I see kids figure into the grander scheme. A lifetime of challenges, very unpredictable in good and bad ways. Get to experience things you never would have if you didn't have them.

I don't have kids, but this is how I see it based on discussion with many who do.

Perhaps the bigger issue is having them too soon....which is similar to the typical marriage argument.

This post is not to influence others but is something I'll be thinking about myself at some point when the time comes.

I think this is quite fitting to your post

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Listen to this cool story, I have two girls 13 and 11, 3 years ago my wife sits on the edge of the bed, I can see she isn't feeling 100%, I said, jokingly, don't tell me you are pregnant!

My reaction: :shock: :shock: :shock: I DIDN'T KNOW!! :lol2:

Now I have the most gorgeous boy in the world, who is nuts about cars :icon_super:

I will do you one even better, after the first few seconds of shock, the next thought which came in my mind was: Damn, they don't have any cool cars which are a 5 seater! My life is ruined :lol2:

That was my exact reaction when I found out that, to our surprise, we were having our third... Like you, I also finally got my boy :icon_thumleft:

Your earlier post about the 'switch' that occurs when you hold your child for the first time is spot on. It's something that cannot be properly described and must be felt to be fully understood. I'm not for or against kids either way, but that indescribable feeling makes it hard for those of us with kids to fully convey the feelings to those that don't have / want kids. I suppose it's a little like sky diving; supposedly the most incredible feeling in the world, but I'll have to take your word for it :lol2:

I have been seeing the topic MGTOW recently. Although a rather extreme point of view, I thought it would relate to this topic and how some men are dealing with it.

That was my exact reaction when I found out that, to our surprise, we were having our third... Like you, I also finally got my boy :icon_thumleft:

Your earlier post about the 'switch' that occurs when you hold your child for the first time is spot on. It's something that cannot be properly described and must be felt to be fully understood. I'm not for or against kids either way, but that indescribable feeling makes it hard for those of us with kids to fully convey the feelings to those that don't have / want kids. I suppose it's a little like sky diving; supposedly the most incredible feeling in the world, but I'll have to take your word for it :lol2:

:icon_thumleft:

When you try to describe it to someone that doesn't have kids, it is like speaking English in a room full of people that speak Chinese. I had my 1st girl a month ago and it was life altering. Other people's kids were more annoying to me than anything and I doubted if I would enjoy my own kid. Having my own daughter now there is nothing in my life I wouldn't sacrifice for the benefit of my daughter.

My wife and I want to go for a 2nd and hopefully have a boy. If the 2nd ends up a girl, I can't imagine going for a third. The risk of 3 girls is too great, 3 teen daughters would be unmanageable and I am not manly (back on topic) enough to survive that many women in one house especially once the teenage years arrive. :icon_mrgreen:

When you try to describe it to someone that doesn't have kids, it is like speaking English in a room full of people that speak Chinese. I had my 1st girl a month ago and it was life altering. Other people's kids were more annoying to me than anything and I doubted if I would enjoy my own kid. Having my own daughter now there is nothing in my life I wouldn't sacrifice for the benefit of my daughter.

My wife and I want to go for a 2nd and hopefully have a boy. If the 2nd ends up a girl, I can't imagine going for a third. The risk of 3 girls is too great, 3 teen daughters would be unmanageable and I am not manly (back on topic) enough to survive that many women in one house especially once the teenage years arrive. :icon_mrgreen:

We had the same discussion at the dinner table last night when my four year old was having a 'drama moment'... My wife looked at the horror on my face and laughingly said "just wait 10 years when both of them are like this. All the time. For no reason." :eusa_wall: But they're still my favourite things in the world!

We (or at least I) didn't intend on having a third, certainly not now... We're both happy that we're going to have a boy... Plus now me and the dog won't be as out-numbered!

To tie in with JKs post and bring this back on topic, there is nothing that inspires me to succeed and be a better man than my family, particularly my children. I can't explain why, but ever since we found out that we were going to have a son, I've felt even more motivated, I suppose in part because now I know I need to raise a man... Whatever that means (to bring us full-circle :lol2: )

Yep, I don't have kids yet, but I know if/when it happens it will be life changing.

Now, down the line if a marriage doesn't hold up I'd imagine having the kids default to the mother along with an asset split would be extremely tough. I look at something like that as a life challenge to avoid if possible, like avoiding a car crash, but I won't let that stop me from trying.

This is the point I was making earlier, need to be even more of a man than previous generations to have it all hold together. Working for 10-20 years dedicated to a family for it all to blow apart would hardly be fulfilling, can regroup and start again though I guess.

Yep, I don't have kids yet, but I know if/when it happens it will be life changing.

Now, down the line if a marriage doesn't hold up I'd imagine having the kids default to the mother along with an asset split would be extremely tough. I look at something like that as a life challenge to avoid if possible, like avoiding a car crash, but I won't let that stop me from trying.

This is the point I was making earlier, need to be even more of a man than previous generations to have it all hold together. Working for 10-20 years dedicated to a family for it all to blow apart would hardly be fulfilling, can regroup and start again though I guess.

I think most of us here have already accomplished a lot more than the rest. I don't think any of us here have anything to be disappointed in. Most of us are here due to similar passions in cars, and goals to get them, which aren't exactly things most people strive for, but simply dream of.

Been crazy busy the last few days, so here's a monster post to make up for it:

Hey buddy, curious, how old are you?

I felt the same way for a long time, never thought I was ready for kids, etc. I'm probably still not, but at 35 (now) it's become a more common discussion between my wife and I. I assume at some point she'll make a decision, which the ramifications of will be revealed to me via repainting a bedroom in some very peculiar colors :lol2:

I'll be 32 in few weeks. I still have a ways to go in building the empire, so for me that comes as priority #1 right now.

I gotta say I am impressed with this forum, which is why I stick around. We share the love of cars, Lambos, etc. However, when it comes to this stuff we all seem to have different ideas and opinions, and no one here is shitting on each other for it. We may differ, we may see a variance, and different things make us happy. But the amount of respect everyone here shows each other is impressive. I can't say I am able to have these types of conversations on other forums, most people get vastly offended, or pissy, or uppity, for people having a different opinion.

Keep it classy LP, I love you guys.

:iamwithstupid: As a side note I will say it's been a thrill to have a very intellectual and passionate discussion and everyone has contributed in an insightful manner. More reasons why I love the forum and folks on it. And we have other threads that when they devolve provide so much entertainment we could have our own Netfilx original series (dibs on the rights). L Power is the best board on the internetz :eusa_dance:

I think the natural human urge is quite obviously not to be monogamous, but that doesn't help raise a well adjusted next generation, it creates more chaos with everyone just looking out for themselves.

BTW I'm not married at 36. Yes I am still having fun but there is not much more I need to do as a single guy. I'm yet to find someone I want to commit to and I'm still accumulating wealth/improving my income to a level I'm comfortable with. Still improving my vetting skills too!

I do agree that for kid raising, having a positive male and female influence is paramount. The hard question is how do we balance that our innate human nature that goes against monogamy? It's an interesting questions and would make for an interesting debate.

I do agree that as people we should always be striving to be better, sharper, and improving ourselves until the day we drop. Even at the age of 90 there's still stuff to do and explore, and stagnation is death. Best of luck in the process of continuous personal improvement!

Yes, very true.

Then what?

It is a very thought provoking question. I think the change people go through when they have kids is a great thing, I mean nothing is worse than when kids are born to parents that don't want them. It never ends well and it's a good tool to ensure survival of us as species. As stated before, someone can't fully apprentice the perspective until they have crossed the bridge, but I do think a lot of people have a good sense of what it is they want, and for some of us kids are not in the mix. Not to say that we wouldn't love and care for our kids if we had them...but as far as what we are actively looking to get out of life kids are not something we're focused on. For myself I would not feel "cheated" or that I am "missing out" by not having kids. I'd rather do a mentorship or something like that so I can teach and help kids, but I do not want the responsibility or chaos of child raising in my own personal life.

My reaction: I DIDN'T KNOW!!

2016 Cadillac CTS-V (which would compliment the Aventador SV) :eusa_dance:

Or BMW M5 :icon_thumleft:

I have been seeing the topic MGTOW recently. Although a rather extreme point of view, I thought it would relate to this topic and how some men are dealing with it.

That is actually a very relevant topic. MGTOW (Men Going Their Own Way for those who don't know) is basically a semi-movement of guys "opting out" of the dating scene entirely. Dating, marriage, kids, all of that his been forsaken. I think it's a very interesting phenomenon that is a response to some people taking an extreme reaction to the very issues we've pointed out here. I can very easily see why a lot of men would choose to "opt out" so to speak; they feel the culture has basically relegated them assume all risk and no reward. So the only way to win is to not play. I personally think it's a bit extreme and there's a lot good that is missed out on, but I certainly can see and understand where they are coming from. Especially if you take someone that traditionally is on the lower rung of the competitive sexual market place but they are self-aware enough to see the big picture, the no-win scenario becomes harshly apparent.

That's the other side of the equation that also keeps me from wanting kids. Most people talk about the "amazing" years when they are younger and then conveniently leave out the teenage years :lol2:

We had the same discussion at the dinner table last night when my four year old was having a 'drama moment'... My wife looked at the horror on my face and laughingly said "just wait 10 years when both of them are like this. All the time. For no reason." :eusa_wall: But they're still my favourite things in the world!

We (or at least I) didn't intend on having a third, certainly not now... We're both happy that we're going to have a boy... Plus now me and the dog won't be as out-numbered!

To tie in with JKs post and bring this back on topic, there is nothing that inspires me to succeed and be a better man than my family, particularly my children. I can't explain why, but ever since we found out that we were going to have a son, I've felt even more motivated, I suppose in part because now I know I need to raise a man... Whatever that means (to bring us full-circle :lol2: )

Full circle! Whether you choose to have them or not, I think it's a choice not to be taken lightly. I also think a lot of people on this thread are in better positions mentally and personally to raise kids,, because there are a lot of unfit people out there that are parents.

I'll be 32 in few weeks. I still have a ways to go in building the empire, so for me that comes as priority #1 right now.

I do agree that for kid raising, having a positive male and female influence is paramount. The hard question is how do we balance that our innate human nature that goes against monogamy? It's an interesting questions and would make for an interesting debate.

It is a very thought provoking question. I think the change people go through when they have kids is a great thing, I mean nothing is worse than when kids are born to parents that don't want them. It never ends well and it's a good tool to ensure survival of us as species. As stated before, someone can't fully apprentice the perspective until they have crossed the bridge, but I do think a lot of people have a good sense of what it is they want, and for some of us kids are not in the mix. Not to say that we wouldn't love and care for our kids if we had them...but as far as what we are actively looking to get out of life kids are not something we're focused on. For myself I would not feel "cheated" or that I am "missing out" by not having kids. I'd rather do a mentorship or something like that so I can teach and help kids, but I do not want the responsibility or chaos of child raising in my own personal life.

That is actually a very relevant topic. MGTOW (Men Going Their Own Way for those who don't know) is basically a semi-movement of guys "opting out" of the dating scene entirely. Dating, marriage, kids, all of that his been forsaken. I think it's a very interesting phenomenon that is a response to some people taking an extreme reaction to the very issues we've pointed out here. I can very easily see why a lot of men would choose to "opt out" so to speak; they feel the culture has basically relegated them assume all risk and no reward. So the only way to win is to not play. I personally think it's a bit extreme and there's a lot good that is missed out on, but I certainly can see and understand where they are coming from. Especially if you take someone that traditionally is on the lower rung of the competitive sexual market place but they are self-aware enough to see the big picture, the no-win scenario becomes harshly apparent.

That's the other side of the equation that also keeps me from wanting kids. Most people talk about the "amazing" years when they are younger and then conveniently leave out the teenage years :lol2:

Full circle! Whether you choose to have them or not, I think it's a choice not to be taken lightly. I also think a lot of people on this thread are in better positions mentally and personally to raise kids,, because there are a lot of unfit people out there that are parents.

Yeah at 32 stick to your empire creation, I think when you become more financially settled and older kids to you may become more important or you may not be so against them. Besides, if you talk to women candidly (which is actually quite rare) they will admit a man has not become until he is ~35.

How de we balance that innate urge? Well religion plus fear of being ostracized from society used to do that for the masses, now it's self control if you value the potential of a monogamous relationship and todays socially accepted feminism goes against monogamy/healthy parenting too.

I've seen a bit of the MGTOW thing, it seems to be guys that have been completely fukced over by a woman/women in general and the law system too.

They way I see it the teenage years are all about the hard discipline stage to prepare kids for making good life choices, showing your kids you can't have your cake and eat it too. If the parents don't pull it off society will teach the kids instead, and society is a lot more unforgiving with more easy paths that seem good at the start but leads downwards.

Yes this forum obviously has some big players, king of the hill type guys that know how to attack life and contribute to society. I doubt they have many issues with females or raising kids compared with more average type guys.

I go up and down on the kids thing. Generally I do not want them, however then other times I get the Fortis mindset that if/when I have one, a "change" will happen. But at the same time, I have also read of plenty of guys who do not experience any change. And a lot of people who have kids are miserable. One issue I think is money. If you make a comfortable amount of money, then you can comfortably have them, but if you have them while poorer, then it creates stress.

My sister for example is a worker bee type who is single and no kids right now. She has a friend who is about her age, but had kids, however is to the poorer side. Said friend is intensely jealous of my sister because my sister is able to do all sorts of things that the friend can't, and the kids stress her out, etc...another thing I think is that people can both be miserable yet at the same time still love their children. Love of one's children I do not think means one loves having children.

Your sister's friend sounds like a wonderful mom LOL.

She actually may be a decent mom, I am not sure, but she doesn't like not being able to go out to nice restaurants and spa treatments and such the way my sister does. I would question how good of a wife she is though as from what my sister has told me, she keeps multiple secret credit cards that her husband doesn't know about.

I have also read of plenty of guys who do not experience any change.

That is pure BS. Even if you're a bit involved it does change you. And from a bit involved, you'd like to be more involved. If you don't involve yourself, you'll regret it sooner or later. That's a lot of "involve" there. Btw, for the first few weeks, invulva, it does change a lot too.

She actually may be a decent mom, I am not sure, but she doesn't like not being able to go out to nice restaurants and spa treatments and such the way my sister does. I would question how good of a wife she is though as from what my sister has told me, she keeps multiple secret credit cards that her husband doesn't know about.

Thank you for confirming my suspicion :icon_thumleft:

Wheels hits a good point about being financially stable.

Applicable not just for kids, but marriage too. You can obviously throw toys there too.

Wheels hits a good point about being financially stable.

Applicable not just for kids, but marriage too. You can obviously throw toys there too.

The thing is technically you are never ready, you have to make sure you don't let life pass you by while in pursuit of what you perceive to constitute the ideal scenario.

I wonder if her sister envies the joy she has from being a mother?

All about perspective on things. That girl sounds immature...and dumb.

Those things are easily attainable if you just plan for them.

Plus, those things really don't matter anyway. Kids > spa treatment.

I've never been to a spa. I never go to restaurants because I like cooking for myself. Guess everyone is different. Now, watching the kids so I can read or workout, that is bliss to me, lol

Credit cars = charging up debt = finding happiness in material possessions. No bueno. If she was charging up debt for necessities, doubt the cards would be hidden from her husband.

I used to belong to your group, not wanting children, arguing with my mom about it, even my wife at the begining, actually she wasn't arguing at all she was just listening to my nonsense, I don't want to lose my freedom, we have no time, we aren't ready and the host of excuses in the posts above, long story short my wife fell pregnant, I had very strong mixed emotions about it.

The first time I held my baby in my arms something clicked inside my head and I've become overwhelmed by emotions I've never felt before, kids are my life, you don't understand nor do you get to have the emotions or feelings I am talking about until you actually have them.

See how you feel when you come back from work and your 3 year old boy runs towards you screaming Papa, get to play with him and his hundreds of model cars spread all over the floor which by the way he knows all of their names, to see this tiny human wich is a spitting image of you. You get to give them what you probably didn't have, makes you feel purposeful, gives you the opportunity to be a real man as defined by many above, providing shelter, support and security.

Don't judge your wants based on someone else's kids because it doesn't work, you aren't emotionally connected to anyone's children as you are to yours, you will never be.

Another very important thing with children, I said to my wife, they joined our lives we didn't join theirs so we still do exactly what we used to before they got here and they have to adapt as simple as that, I have zero issues taking my kids out of school if I want to go on a holiday, trip away, etc. So our lives aren't burdened at all by their presence, as I said before, if you are the boss of your own destiny no social convention can tell you how to live your life, if you adhere to those that's your problem, grow a pair and take the matters into your own hands.

Don't get me wrong I am not advocating for kids, you can do whatever feels right I am quite selfish from that POV as in I really do not care what happens on the other side of the fence providing that whatever happens doesn't spill over and personally affect or involve me.

I am only providing you with a different perspective from somebody who had exactly the same mentality, way of thinking, I have no issues admitting that personally I was wrong on the subject, now I do have one regret, I should've had children earlier in my life.

This was a wonderful post Fortis :icon_thumleft:

+1 on Fortis. Exactly what I would write. And especially true that I wish we had taken the plunge earlier in life.

I can't grow a fantastic beard like some but dealing with my 2 year old gives me probably the best opportunity to be a good man.

...The hard question is how do we balance that our innate human nature that goes against monogamy?

I'm not sure that we can concretely say that our innate human nature goes against monogamy. A great many people mate for life while others end up switching or remain completely unattached for life. There are so many environmental and cultural factors confusing both arrangements that I don't think we can get our arms around either idea for sure. It's very confusing. At least for a few hundred years, I'm guessing our own nature will probably remain a mystery.

The thing is technically you are never ready, you have to make sure you don't let life pass you by while in pursuit of what you perceive to constitute the ideal scenario.

I agree. There's never a "good" time. No one is ever perfectly ready. There's no making everything exactly perfect for a kid to come into the world. I think we all can agree that a good man rolls with it and makes good on what he has sewn. The manliness problems that we're talking about come when women think that the man in their lives isn't doing the job well enough. Many women are correct, and their man is failing them. However, I have found that many other women are gruesomely confused by what their man brings to the parenting table -- which is why I said what I said earlier about basically wanting men to follow female priorities and installing two women at the helm, except that one of them has a penis.

The secondary problem becomes that some women with sons are thrilled that they've succeeded in raising what amounts to little girls, while other women are confused by the societal crossfire and are left wondering why their little boys aren't becoming SEALs, or don't have any masculine traits or habits or can't even fill the slightest masculine functions for that matter. Feminism has done a good job of bringing women closer to where they should be in our world. However, I do (unfortunately) feel that we're raising generations of wimps in large part as a result, as described in this article Nation of Wimps. Our next role in it is in being good enough men to raise daughters because that's probably the #1 issue that I've run into in relationships with women over the course of my life -- daddy issues. The women with secure and lasting relationships with their fathers stand out like a sore thumb from the crowd of women who have lived through more pejorative paternal connections. I've found those women to have fewer significant issues than their peers, all thanks to a dad who did his J. O. B.

One more aspect, however, is that these kinds of issues in America are more prevalent in urban and suburban settings. The business of gender role flux isn't as hot through America's rural areas, which constitute huge portions of the country. I don't think we're in danger of running out of candidates for Naval Special Warfare teams any time soon, but unabated, we'd get there eventually with current trends. The trends and social outgrowths of our cities bleed into the surrounding areas rather than the other way around.

We have yet to achieve balance and neither gender should be afraid to admit it so that we can instead get down to the business of making the future better. Of late, we've been crushed for decades that too much testosterone is a bad thing for our world while we've left the estrogen flood gates wide open. It's high time we got our shit together and got things back in order instead of playing hippie-generation partisan sex politics and confusing the hell out of each other with how we, as men, should behave.