A Two-For-One Movie Review: The "new Star Wars and Deadpool

Destructo

The "new" Star Wars… I feel I've seen it already. Oh yeah I did, it's a damn remake of Episode V! I shut it off with 45 minutes left. #lameassmovie 1 out 5 stars.

Deadpool…I actually finished it, but it "tried" way too hard. I can't believe it was so popular. 2 out of 5 stars.

Anyone have some good movie recommendations that didn't get as much exposure?

I didn't see it, but heard "Hell or High Water" was high quality.

"Richard Roeper of the Chicago Sun Times gave the film 4 stars, saying 'In ways large and small, Hell or High Water is a movie so beautiful and harsh and elegiac and knowing, the moment it was over was the moment I wanted to see it again'."

Agree with the review but would have reversed the scores. Deadpool got rave reviews because virgins had a comic charcater that swore. Gasp.

The new Star Wars trailer looks lacking too.

Big short and Man from UNCLE, both well done, the latter you can take your brain out and enjoy the soundtrack and Guy Ritchie punchiness.

I didn't see it, but heard "Hell or High Water" was high quality.

"Richard Roeper of the Chicago Sun Times gave the film 4 stars, saying 'In ways large and small, Hell or High Water is a movie so beautiful and harsh and elegiac and knowing, the moment it was over was the moment I wanted to see it again'."

I saw it, very good.

I wasted 2 hours on the Accountant, absolutely awful.

For those that missed it at the cinema go and watch "Dredd"...turn the volume up and enjoy!

Too bad that film wasn't successful at the box office, it is how the Dredd films were supposed to be, not that 1990's campy film.

The "new" Star Wars… I feel I've seen it already. Oh yeah I did, it's a damn remake of Episode V! I shut it off with 45 minutes left. #lameassmovie 1 out 5 stars.

Deadpool…I actually finished it, but it "tried" way too hard. I can't believe it was so popular. 2 out of 5 stars.

Anyone have some good movie recommendations that didn't get as much exposure?

D,

Funny you said that ("I can't believe it was so popular"), as I felt the exact same way about Deadpool. I had friends who raved about saying it was the best Marvel movie yet, they wanted to go back to the theatre and see it again, buy it the second it came out on Bluray, etc. :blink: It just didn't do it for me (or my Wife).

Hell or High Water was pretty good. However one of the BEST movies I have seen this year was "The Magnificent 7". Absolutely incredible film, and both Denzel and Chris Pratt killed it (the whole cast all the way around actually). Highly recommend getting to the theatre for that one if you're in the mood for a popcorn flick.

Did you see The Purge; Election Year yet? We enjoyed that one as well, just bought it on bluray.

I thought Deadpool was perfectly good. An origin story is tough to make so exciting. It seems some folks want to see an Act II type of story in the first Act, and that just isn't going to happen. The first Iron Man was shorter on action and quippy hero lines (I would have liked to see more), but it set the stage for a fun run of movies. Deadpool was still the Marvel movie that broke the mold and it had to be made. I'm so glad they did, and it's not just about a cursing superhero. Superheros are designed to be expressions of ourselves that we would love to amplify, and Deadpool finally did it in that direction. A character for adults was a shift we were ready for. Take The Joker, for example. A fantasy-driven character who, for years, was presented in a very child-like, cartoonish way. When Heath Ledger got a hold of it, it went full-adult and gained a new following. We were ready for that in the same way. I have no doubt that the next Deadpool will be a really fun movie.

With Star Wars, the original magic will never be recreated and I also agree that the last EP7 was weak on every significant counter. But, since we can't leave any dollar un-turned, we'll continue to see more, so we can only hope that they make it fun. With a steady stream of varied creative influences, I don't think the property will suffer too many downturns like the one caused by Lucas' EP 1/2/3. I'm upbeat about the possibilities for Rogue 1 being a fun movie. I get the distinct impression that they're not trying to do too much...not trying to blow our minds at every turn and simply tell a story, which is the way it's supposed to be.