Aventador market gone stale?

Machine Head

I know. It's part of my personality and something I struggle with :( I've had the same issue with all the exotics I've owned. Sometimes I look at the odometer in my 458 and note that I've put 1000 miles on it without recalling how and when. I think about it for a few minutes and then I stop worrying about it. It's not healthy at that point. It's good to be careful with ones money, though. Sometimes when I eat at expensive restaurants I shudder when I get the check. The emotional impact is about the same as the odometer reading 😀 Totally irrational I know. I guess it stems from my upbringing. We didn't have much when I was a kid and had to save on everything. It somehow transferred over when I started making a good amount of money. As a result I have a very comfortable income to savings ratio. I guess at some point one should allow oneself to splurge a little. Just don't want to take a bath.

Making money is relatively easy the art is in how you spend it.

Yeah, the lp640 seems like a good fit price wise, but it's starting to look a little too dated.

Well that is a matter of personal preference. It only matters if it looks dated if you're trying to impress others IMO.

The question is why do you want a lamborghini

Pride of ownership

Performance

Life goal

Show off others

?

Spring time cars tend to move. So whatever the market is doing right now isn't necessarily surprising.

The vent hasn't fully depreciated yet. I would think that will be in the next couple years and they will probably bottom out in the low $200k range, possibly higher. It's the flagship car and I think the base sticker on them now is $450k range.

Imo since all super cars are going turbo you are barking up the right tree. For a great car to drive and not loose a crap ton of $ on is going to be the lp640. N/A V12. last of the Biz engines, super sexy, awesome to drive. Just a great car all around. It is precisely why I picked one up this year.

I don't think the LP's are going to hover at their prices too much longer and I wouldn't be surprised if they sell for more than an aventador in the not too distant future. Production was way less, and having them side by side and being able to drive both on the same day, I prefer the lamborghini feel of the LP over the audi feel of the Vent. That is why we buy a lamborghini IMO...The feel of a lambo stayed true from Countach-Murci (all the cars I have driven).. The Vent felt like a big audi R8.

Of course we have all compared the Lambo line up, but I think we would all agree countach-murcil felt like a raw lambo.. I can't beleive how much the E-gear lp640 still feels that way.. The Vent just doesn't.. It can easily be a daily driver. And that is why you see so many Vent's with miles on them. They are very civilized.

To sum up my opinion.

Vent: Civilized Lambo+higher production = greater depreciation ( the only saving grace is it is still an N/A V12 and that alone may prove me wrong since all other manufacturers are going turbo and they are all adding even more gadgets intervening with the driving experience)

Murci: Raw lambo feel + lower production + original biz n/a v12 + already depreciated out = less depreciation/ possible appreciation

just my $.02 when talking about overall financial Value.

If financial value is out the window and we are talking about enjoyment value, then I am 100% the person that says buy whatever the hell you want.

good luck!

Are you telling that you are on a wage of $1 mil a year and you are sweating a possible $100k depreciation over 3 years on a used Aventador? :eusa_think:

Abso-fcuking-lutely.

What does that turn out to be in the first 2 years? 20%+ of post tax earnings when you consider tax, operating cost and opportunity cost is a real number . . . you really have to want a car to do that. Not to mention you could lease a lot of great new cars with less unknown risk. This is a crap full explanation but I think you get what I mean.

Abso-fcuking-lutely.

What does that turn out to be in the first 2 years? 20%+ of post tax earnings when you consider tax, operating cost and opportunity cost is a real number . . . you really have to want a car to do that. Not to mention you could lease a lot of great new cars with less unknown risk. This is a crap full explanation but I think you get what I mean.

Honestly I do not get what you mean your post is very confusing, $100k depreciation over 3 years would be $66k In 2 years that's not 20% of a wage of $1mil/year after tax so I have no idea what numbers are you factoring in.

Go back up and read his posts carefully, the guy implied that he can buy it cash and that he makes $1 mill a year after tax $30k a year in potential lost depreciation is 3% of that.

I have no idea what the average wage is in the states but for the purpose of this exercise let's assume is $50k.

An individual who ears $50k a year goes and gets a car loan at $100/week, car repayments will be $5200/year plus the rest of incidentals factor in depreciation which is most of that $5k/year etc. on the car loan alone that's 10.4% of their wage.

Now I can assure you that people on $50k a year will buy cars which cost more than $100/week to finance, add another $20 to $50/week in a car loan and do your percentages again.

My point was the percentage is way below the average spent by majority of people on cars, a level where majority of the market sits, whether that's right or wrong, financialy responsabile or irresponsible it's a fact.

I would also like to add, I am very conservative when it comes to frivolous purchases and spending and only spend at a level where I don't care if the item I bought is a total unrecoverable loss, it will never be the case but you get what I mean, what I can tell you from my own experience, someone which came from absolute zero or below, that when you start making serious dollars you become desensitized, so something doesn't add up with this story, if you had $100 in your hand and you bought a doughnut for $3 you wouldn't sit in a corner crying poor.

Agree with the majority here. I had long said that any Lamborghini is not for investment purposes (sorry Roy); and that includes classics like the Miura and Countach. Even if there is miraculous barn find, the owner more than likely hasn't been living under a rock and will not sell anything short of 7-figures for the former and close to mid-6-figures for the latter. So the "investment" would incur a hefty principle to begin with. At that price level, there are plenty of other toys and real investments to choose from. Some may argue a LP670-4SV with manual transmission is a sound investment. Well, if you bought it new and consider what they are worth now, is that really a wise investment when compare to other real investments such as real estates or commodities? If one considers all facets, even buying a piece of artwork from Sotheby's would have potentially better rate of return.

Regardless of perspective and interpretation, IMO, a Lamborghini is a toy. No one ever "needs" a Lamborghini. So buy it like a toy and enjoy it like a toy: some play with it all the time while others take it out on that special occasion; still, others will just shelf it and simply savour the "ownership". If one has the resources, go for it. We all worked hard to get to where we are; we deserve it. But if one has to twist one's brain to figure out the feasibility of acquiring a Lamborghini, then while I wouldn't say one cannot afford it; rather, I would say a Lamborghini is not the right car for one to acquire --- let alone an Aventador to which they had already made around 6000 units on the 1st-gen cars and with the 2nd-gen car just announced. It's a toy and should be purchased and treated as such.

I grew up the same way and understand. What you need to do is decide that you're willing to take a certain amount of depreciation and then go ahead and buy the car. I think you'll find that once you get it out of your system you'll see the car is a white elephant, you've checked the box, you'll sell it and take the depreciation as the cost of achieving the dream.

This hit home. As I have already alluded to I have a threshold for depreciation that I am starting to realize might be a tad too conservative. If one views the purchase as consumption as opposed to an investment with very minimal chance of anything but a loss, then it becomes the price to pay to achieve the dream as you say, and for me that's a very compelling argument. Thank you!

A big thanks to all those of you who have offered your 2 cents. Your collective opinions have swayed me and I have decided to just go for it. I hope to get a basic one for around $330-350K + tax. I will start shopping in January and let you know what I end up with. Life is indeed too short and this is a milestone that somehow solidifies success on a personal level. Not that this is the main reason I'm getting one. I think the Aventador is the most stunning car on the road today and I always find myself admiring it whenever I see one. I don't think there are many other cars out there that get me all excited like that. The lp640 does too, but I think I'd find myself wanting the Aventador at some point if I got it.

Regarding the scale of income to car purchases I would say there's no real formulae to go by. You will find more people stretching themselves in the lower income brackets. It doesn't quite scale the way it was suggested by one poster here. An exotic does not have utility value. You don't transport your family around or run errands in it (most of the time anyway). It is purely a luxury toy, and all financial advisors would recommend against a purchase unless you have a true passion for it and it makes you really happy. As someone else suggested here, you have to really want it.

Yes I make pretty good money by the national standard, but I have a big monthly nut, with several homes, maintenance, 4 cars, insurance, two kids, a wife and perpetually broke family members :) it's a luxury problem for sure, but I know that nothing is forever and I save for the future. I am sure there are others on this forum who can relate. Living in California has gotten extremely expensive and keeps getting more expensive by the day.

This hit home. As I have already alluded to I have a threshold for depreciation that I am starting to realize might be a tad too conservative. If one views the purchase as consumption as opposed to an investment with very minimal chance of anything but a loss, then it becomes the price to pay to achieve the dream as you say, and for me that's a very compelling argument. Thank you!

A big thanks to all those of you who have offered your 2 cents. Your collective opinions have swayed me and I have decided to just go for it. I hope to get a basic one for around $330-350K + tax. I will start shopping in January and let you know what I end up with. Life is indeed too short and this is a milestone that somehow solidifies success on a personal level. Not that this is the main reason I'm getting one. I think the Aventador is the most stunning car on the road today and I always find myself admiring it whenever I see one. I don't think there are many other cars out there that get me all excited like that. The lp640 does too, but I think I'd find myself wanting the Aventador at some point if I got it.

Regarding the scale of income to car purchases I would say there's no real formulae to go by. You will find more people stretching themselves in the lower income brackets. It doesn't quite scale the way it was suggested by one poster here. An exotic does not have utility value. You don't transport your family around or run errands in it (most of the time anyway). It is purely a luxury toy, and all financial advisors would recommend against a purchase unless you have a true passion for it and it makes you really happy. As someone else suggested here, you have to really want it.

Yes I make pretty good money by the national standard, but I have a big monthly nut, with several homes, maintenance, 4 cars, insurance, two kids, a wife and perpetually broke family members :) it's a luxury problem for sure, but I know that nothing is forever and I save for the future. I am sure there are others on this forum who can relate. Living in California has gotten extremely expensive and keeps getting more expensive by the day.

The true friends I have made owning a lamborghini have been the best in my life. Owning a lamborghini was so much more valuable than I ever thought possible..

Just go for it.. You'll be glad you did.

I would also like to add, I am very conservative when it comes to frivolous purchases and spending and only spend at a level where I don't care if the item I bought is a total unrecoverable loss, it will never be the case but you get what I mean, what I can tell you from my own experience, someone which came from absolute zero or below, that when you start making serious dollars you become desensitized, so something doesn't add up with this story, if you had $100 in your hand and you bought a doughnut for $3 you wouldn't sit in a corner crying poor.

It is true that one becomes desensitized to a certain degree, but for me it doesn't quite work like that. Because the money I've made and make comes from very hard work I place great value on it. The amount of work I've had to do to get there is always in the back of my mind. When one has $100, as may be the case with a homeless person after a day of begging at the corner of an intersection, I am pretty sure he will be careful with how he spends it. That's why you often see people who come into money over night go on a shopping spree and wake up to find themselves broke very soon thereafter.

The true friends I have made owning a lamborghini have been the best in my life. Owning a lamborghini was so much more valuable than I ever thought possible..

Just go for it.. You'll be glad you did.

Wonderful to hear! I would assume that ownership would attract a certain type of "friend" but I'm glad to hear that's not necessarily the case. In a world where humility is in short supply, true friends can be hard to find. Cheers!

It is true that one becomes desensitized to a certain degree, but for me it doesn't quite work like that. Because the money I've made and make comes from very hard work I place great value on it. The amount of work I've had to do to get there is always in the back of my mind. When one has $100, as may be the case with a homeless person after a day of begging at the corner of an intersection, I am pretty sure he will be careful with how he spends it. That's why you often see people who come into money over night go on a shopping spree and wake up to find themselves broke very soon thereafter.

I can assure you you aren't the only one that works/ed very hard for your money, I still work 12 hours to 14 hours a day, mostly because I love it not so much because of need, I understand the value of money and I wasn't born and brought up in a privileged country, nobody who was born in a 1st world country has the right to complain IMO, you won the lottery just by being born where you were.

$100 dollars in the hand of a bum has exactly the same value as it has in your hand, it's all about buying power, buy whatever you enjoy do whatever makes you feel comfortable don't need to justify it to anyone, we all have different thresholds, I learned and I can afford to be very comfortable with my finances and I use it as a tool to live the hell out of this life after all that's the reason I work hard :icon_thumleft:

I can assure you you aren't the only one that works/ed very hard for your money, I still work 12 hours to 14 hours a day, mostly because I love it not so much because of need, I understand the value of money and I wasn't born and brought up in a privileged country, nobody who was born in a 1st world country has the right to complain IMO, you won the lottery just by being born where you were.

$100 dollars in the hand of a bum has exactly the same value as it has in your hand, it's all about buying power, buy whatever you enjoy do whatever makes you feel comfortable don't need to justify it to anyone, we all have different thresholds, I learned and I can afford to be very comfortable with my finances and I use it as a tool to live the hell out of this life after all that's the reason I work hard :icon_thumleft:

Right on! I like your thinking. Didn't mean to imply that anyone here didn't work hard for their money, just explaining where I was coming from. Regarding the $100 bill in the hands of a homeless vs. me if you're not talking about value but relative value it is far more worth to him than most. We are indeed lucky ones for having been born in the right time and place.

All good, my frustration with tightness is deep seated haha, I used to live with a stepfather who was monitoring if I left the lights in the room longer than required, I didn't think I would ever meet anyone tighter than him LOL

Let's see that 458 :icon_thumleft:

All good, my frustration with tightness is deep seated haha, I used to live with a stepfather who was monitoring if I left the lights in the room longer than required, I didn't think I would ever meet anyone tighter than him LOL

Let's see that 458 :icon_thumleft:

Hahaha that's that's pretty bad! One of my buddies growing up had a stepdad like that. He made him keep a log book in the family car and he had to write down the start and end time of each trip as well as the odometer reading. Poor kid. Happy to take some pictures of my 458 when I get back home over New Years. It's a white coupe 2013. I should probably get some nice shots of it before the Aventador replaces it anyway. Exciting times!

The market on the Aventador has been stale for a while. Problem is, most of the cars have been sitting for a while and the people that have them, have had them for a while, so they own them at old money. The other problem is replacing them. Super expensive to purchase used inventory now.

What a car though, seriously. I don't have a ton of seat time, but the little that I do, I loved it. I think Plastique has the idea though, if you are averse to depreciation, buy an SV. Roy seems to have the line on all of them, so you have the perfect resource to pick one up. That car seems to be the ticket, kind of the last of an era, and the best of that era as well.