SV vs 720S Video....

FikseSTS

Having said that put some turbos on a Lamborghini and see what happens but I'd rather be slower with a musical exhaust :icon_mrgreen:

Naaaaaw ... Is that a typo ... Fortis advocating putting turbos on a Lamborghini ... l'm gonna need a moment ...

I guess there's only one thing to do ... Buy a Powerball ticket and take a shot at that $700 million dollar jackpot ...

Because, clearly given what I just read ... Anything really is possible ...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naaaaaw ... Is that a typo ... Fortis advocating putting turbos on a Lamborghini ... l'm gonna need a moment ...

I guess there's only one thing to do ... Buy a Powerball ticket and take a shot at that $700 million dollar jackpot ...

Because, clearly given what I just read ... Anything really is possible ...

Lol, you can still buy the ticket my friend and I hope you will win sorry to disappoint but I wasn't advocating I was just saying that we have to compare like for like, that's why the last part of my statements says that I'd rather be slower.

I like turbos just not on exotics.

Lol, you can still buy the ticket my friend and I hope you will win sorry to disappoint but I wasn't advocating I was just saying that we have to compare like for like, that's why the last part of my statements says that I'd rather be slower.

That's the furthest from like to like. You have to compare stock to stock

That's the furthest from like to like. You have to compare stock to stock

You do understand the definition of like for like?

:iamwithstupid: :iamwithstupid: :iamwithstupid:

The 720S is quick, no doubt. But pure speed isn't everything. The SV has way more presence.

That may be true, but I think the issue is deeper.

Let's look at Macs...

Objectively:

- faster straight line performance than Lambo and Ferrari

- as good or better handling compared to Lambo/Ferrari

- as good or better braking compared to Lambo/Ferrari

Subjectively:

- looks aren't as wild as Lambo or as pretty as Ferrari

- sound isn't as inspiring as either

- in car driving "feel" isn't quite as good as either

McLaren overall lacks a strong identity, where it's IMHO weaker in this department compared to Porsche, Ford GT, Aston Martin, Bentley, Viper, Maserati, CamaroVette, Mustang, Challenger, Audi R8, etc.

Some may think the "feel" aspect is overrated, but the looks and sound on their own are huge.

And that's the biggest problem I think. Sure most would take a Mac for cheap, but at the high prices they command it becomes hard to pull the trigger. I can't say with absolute certainty, but it appears a majority of Mac owners own other exotics too - rare to see someone own just a McLaren and nothing else of note.

More evidence that we debate/talk about cars based on rationality, but ultimately buy on emotion.

Now, the F1 was the complete opposite of this.....it was a technical tour de force with a metric ton of analog feel, which is why it may be the best exotic ever made.

N/A 6.0 V12, ~2600 lbs wet, no power steering, stickshift.....hard to go wrong on that formula.

Now everything is turbo this turbo that, driver aids, etc.

Not in denial about 720S being faster than an Aventador SV, I put trust in Fikse`s/Dragtime`s results. Technology has moved way forward from then. Aventador SV debuted a little over 2 years ago, hell today Ferrari even replaced the California T already, and that came out a little over 3 years ago.

have you heard a Mac with catless downpipes?

Sounds pretty sick to me

I had two and it sounds great, but not quite the same as the H and A with exhaust.

I'll have the SV all day over the 720S. The SV looks better, sounds better, etc..

Oh yeah anytime SV for me to :icon_super:

If I'd want a Super quick car which the SV already is, I'd just go buy a gtr and mod the hell out of it

And that's the biggest problem I think. Sure most would take a Mac for cheap, but at the high prices they command it becomes hard to pull the trigger. I can't say with absolute certainty, but it appears a majority of Mac owners own other exotics too - rare to see someone own just a McLaren and nothing else of note.

This is somewhat flawed. It would be only natural for McLaren owners to own more than just a McLaren simply because the customers have to come from somewhere. It's highly unlikely that McLaren sells cars solely to people who have never owned an exotic before and just now caught the bug for the first time. Just about every McLaren owner owned another brand prior. McLaren also doesn't sell nearly as much based on cachet like Ferrari or Lamborghini, thus it attracts more enthusiasts. Naturally enthusiasts will generally be more inclined to own multiple exotics. Also, until the Sport Series they were typically $300K+ cars. The more expensive the car, the higher the income and wealth of the buyer. The higher the income and wealth, the more likely they are to own other cars.

A combination of those reasons is why it seems less likely to find people who own just a McLaren and nothing else. All of that said, I think it's incorrect anyhow. Based on what I see across many forums, there are lots of people who own only a single McLaren an no other exotic, especially since the Sport Series launch. On the flip side, there are many people who own more exotics than just a Lamborghini or Ferrari at the same time. I don't think any brand is terribly unique in ownership characteristics.

I believe McLaren's problem is not one of soul and emotion but simply brand awareness and cachet. I believe it's quite a mistake to say Ferrari and Lamborghini sell because they are so much more exciting. On the contrary, I think Lamborghini and Ferrari are actually supported heavily by people who care far more about showing off and self-image than they do about exhaust sound or dynamics. And remember, McLaren is already selling nearly as many cars as Lamborghini. It's simply a new brand with a slightly different customer base. The residuals are also much better than people have let on, so I wouldn't look too much into price action as a sign of demand.

For me, I think the standard 2012 Avenatdor coupe is the best looking Lamborghini since the Muira and one of the best looking exotics since the F1 LM/HDF kit. People on here seem to love the SV version, but I think it's ugly. I also don't like the Performante at all and find the 580 to be the best looking Huracan, though still not as good looking as a plain jane Gallardo SL with the many-spoke wheels.

Such is personal taste I suppose. All are fantastic cars though and all have pluses and minuses. They all have good and bad angles.

You do understand the definition of like for like?

Do you understand what constitutes appropriate comparison? Like for like means same class of vehicle (modified or production). These cars are designed to meet emissions restrictions and a target reliability and driveability. Anyone can modify anything to beat anything with enough money. Saddest statement ever for lambos, "oh but I could add turbos and be faster to keep up with a stock 720S on standard P Zero tires." To think that a 6.5 liter v12 would ever be like for like to a 4 liter V8 is strange, regardless of what is hanging off of it, it's a completely different engine architecture. Lambo has its work cut it in terms of speed to the latest generation.

if apples to apples, the Huracan was designed to compete with the 650s/675/12c platform.

the performante version is lambos answer to the 720 or vice versa. and they do currently hold the ring record so

I think they are doing pretty well IMO

I personally love the mac and had to choose between the 720 and the P. I went with the P because IMO it is the better car for me. but you cant go wrong with either car depending on your personality and needs/wants.

The 720S is not a competitor to the performante in any way. It's the successor to the 650S and operates in a class of cars that still maintain a decent level of grand touring/every day usability. The performante is the spiritual competitor to cars like the 675LT, upcoming GT2RS, and Ferrari 488 GTO. I've mentioned before that I take little stock in manufacturer lap times and only trust sport auto lap times or viewing lap times across multiple tracks. The SV had a great nurburgring lap time at the ring but is uncompetitive at several other courses.

Performante is a sweet ride. Will be hard to choose between the upcoming group of track focused supercars

Do you understand what constitutes appropriate comparison? Like for like means same class of vehicle (modified or production). These cars are designed to meet emissions restrictions and a target reliability and driveability. Anyone can modify anything to beat anything with enough money. Saddest statement ever for lambos, "oh but I could add turbos and be faster to keep up with a stock 720S on standard P Zero tires." To think that a 6.5 liter v12 would ever be like for like to a 4 liter V8 is strange, regardless of what is hanging off of it, it's a completely different engine architecture. Lambo has its work cut it in terms of speed to the latest generation.

Things are flying right over your head because you are blinded by your obsession with McLaren, every time there is McLaren content on LP you pop up on here as if it's the second coming of Christ preaching the world how amazing the McLaren is and how behind Lambo is.

I am very interested in buying a Mac and I read quite a lot about the brand, I listened and consultanted many owners of both brands with non bias opinions and majority have the same opinion on the Mac, you have no experience with either and the feedback you provide is from a fanboy perspective which is fine but it's not helpful because of your non experience with either brand and bias.

Do you genuinely believe that I don't know or understand how a direct comparison works or why most companies are looking at turbos as a solution to performance and meeting emissions targets? Thanks for the lesson LOL

Based on your comments it looks like you don't understand how a direct comparison works, it's a given that if I talk about a direct comparison I am inferring a Lamborghini factory offer of turbocharged motors so we can directly compare them with Ferrari and McLaren's power trains, I was not talking about the aftermarket sector, why would I? That's highly irrelevant to this discussion. You can modify anything to go fast.

Please don't address my comments in the future, I really hate having to explain them to you later.

The 720S is not a competitor to the performante in any way. It's the successor to the 650S and operates in a class of cars that still maintain a decent level of grand touring/every day usability. The performante is the spiritual competitor to cars like the 675LT, upcoming GT2RS, and Ferrari 488 GTO. I've mentioned before that I take little stock in manufacturer lap times and only trust sport auto lap times or viewing lap times across multiple tracks. The SV had a great nurburgring lap time at the ring but is uncompetitive at several other courses.

Performante is a sweet ride. Will be hard to choose between the upcoming group of track focused supercars

I disagree.. the perf is as practical as the 720 is. they are both the latest tech the factories have to offer, similar price, weight, size, etc..

bottom line is if someone has 325k to spend these are todays options to choose from.

grand touring I think of aventador, 599, f12 etc.

Things are flying right over your head because you are blinded by your obsession with McLaren, every time there is McLaren content on LP you pop up on here as if it's the second coming of Christ preaching the world how amazing the McLaren is and how behind Lambo is.

I am very interested in buying a Mac and I read quite a lot about the brand, I listened and consultanted many owners of both brands with non bias opinions and majority have the same opinion on the Mac, you have no experience with either and the feedback you provide is from a fanboy perspective which is fine but it's not helpful because of your non experience with either brand and bias.

Do you genuinely believe that I don't know or understand how a direct comparison works or why most companies are looking at turbos as a solution to performance and meeting emissions targets? Thanks for the lesson LOL

Based on your comments it looks like you don't understand how a direct comparison works, it's a given that if I talk about a direct comparison I am inferring a Lamborghini factory offer of turbocharged motors so we can directly compare them with Ferrari and McLaren's power trains, I was not talking about the aftermarket sector, why would I? That's highly irrelevant to this discussion. You can modify anything to go fast.

Please don't address my comments in the future, I really hate having to explain them to you later.

Yeah, put some turbos on a hypothetical future generation Lambo (totally opposite of their philosophical stance) is completely clear from your statement. You didn't list a noun, so the typical referred to noun from your sentence structuring is "you", anybody could have somebody put on turbos into a Lambo. Talking hypotheticals (not even suggested or implied by manufacturer) is even stranger than what I thought you were talking about earlier, and makes even less sense.

I do think McLarens are tremendous bargains in their respective price segments, but I want a Porsche GT3 991.2 more than any other vehicle on sale right now. McLarens aren't everyone's cup of tea, but that's subjective like everything else. Objectively, they are fast as fcuk. How much that matters to you is a personal disposition.

I disagree.. the perf is as practical as the 720 is. they are both the latest tech the factories have to offer, similar price, weight, size, etc..

bottom line is if someone has 325k to spend these are todays options to choose from.

grand touring I think of aventador, 599, f12 etc.

Interesting, I guess everyone feels different. I almost picture the 720S as a faster Turbo S in street/track balance and the Performante being more GT3RS. Honestly can't go wrong in this day and age with these fast as hell supercars with adaptive damping and dual clutch transmissions. Too bad that manual is a dying breed of cars

Yeah, put some turbos on a hypothetical future generation Lambo (totally opposite of their philosophical stance) is completely clear from your statement. You didn't list a noun, so the typical referred to noun from your sentence structuring is "you", anybody could have somebody put on turbos into a Lambo. Talking hypotheticals (not even suggested or implied by manufacturer) is even stranger than what I thought you were talking about earlier, and makes even less sense.

I do think McLarens are tremendous bargains in their respective price segments, but I want a Porsche GT3 991.2 more than any other vehicle on sale right now. McLarens aren't everyone's cup of tea, but that's subjective like everything else. Objectively, they are fast as fcuk. How much that matters to you is a personal disposition.

BTW Lamborghini will have a turbocharged power plant in their line up as early as 2018

875BF65A_F078_41F5_AA21_1012FC508A7C_5894_0000086C5522615A.jpeg

Considering the number of times that we've kicked around the topic of "turbos on Lambos" ...

I think derphurf was the only one who "actually thought" you were advocating putting turbos on a Lambo ...

My apologies for kicking off that exchange ...

Considering the number of times that we've kicked around the topic of "turbos on Lambos" ...

I think derphurf was the only one who "actually thought" you were advocating putting turbos on a Lambo ...

My apologies for kicking off that exchange ...

Please don't apologize it it's not your fault it usually happens when people who are out of their depth get in on conversations.

Actually, that aided in the misconception. We all know Fortis isn't into turbocharging cars, so it seemed like he was saying someone else could put turbos on their car.

And yes, grammar is important and actually changes what or who you're talking about.

I don't compare cars that you can buy right now and cars have completely unknown specifications and performance. I'm not sure anyone does that.

Actually, that aided in the misconception. We all know Fortis isn't into turbocharging cars, so it seemed like he was saying someone else could put turbos on their car.

And yes, grammar is important and actually changes what or who you're talking about.

I don't compare cars that you can buy right now and cars have completely unknown specifications and performance. I'm not sure anyone does that.

Bench racing is gay. There are a billion metrics that result in the experience of owning/driving a car beyond HP and 60-130 runs. If all you care about is a drag race, you can build something for less than the sales tax on the SV that will skull fcuk them both. Look at each car for what it offers and enjoy it for what it does well.

The 720 could make a great 3rd car that you can actually just drive. IMO the SV is a 5th or 7th car. It's a god damn adventure to take that thing out and it's not good for much beyond an afternoon thrill ride. They are so different a half reasonable person could easily justify having both. :icon_mrgreen:

btw I don't recall Fortis ever being against turbos in the broad spectrum. iirc he just thought it was pointless to build 1500hp tuner cars. And can we all tone down the grammar pedantics, most of the time we know damn well what someone means and the 'gotcha' is pathetic.

Interesting, I guess everyone feels different. I almost picture the 720S as a faster Turbo S in street/track balance and the Performante being more GT3RS. Honestly can't go wrong in this day and age with these fast as hell supercars with adaptive damping and dual clutch transmissions. Too bad that manual is a dying breed of cars

i look at price range, practicality, resale, streetable, trackable, looks, sounds etc when purchasing an exotic.

i don't consider a 911 turbo exotic, more of a nice sports car. a 720, perf, 488, etc are all entry exotics IMO in the same price range and available today. they are all badass cars, but performance wise, looks wise, and overall feel i like the perf. this is my own opinion ofcourse. i owned 2 mclarens when they werent as popular and loved them, but losing 100k+ in less than a year scared the crap out of me. i hope that changes in the near future and ill be back.