Jump to content
Old Guy Garage

Straight piped my Murci, How To!

Recommended Posts

Thanks for being a part of the community, and keep the videos coming. Always good stuff to see.

Car sounds great, and we're happy to see a sponsor like Fabspeed get love lately. Their system seems to be getting plenty of attention as of late. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure how it compares to the MS racing system. I haven't heard it in person, which is the only real way to compare. Fabspeed system is stupid loud on the outside, but nothing too crazy on the inside. Mine doesn't drone which is a plus. Family member of mine has a 430 Scud and it actually drone way more with the factory exhaust oddly enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the videos.  Keep them coming!

I have a 05 Roadster with LOC and secondary delete.  You inspired me to delete the primaries so i ordered a set from fabspeed after seeing your video.  Question:  People have complained about the exhaust smell as being difficult to cope with.  Do you feel its bad?  I don't know how many roadster owners have taken straight pipe route.  I wonder if F1 sound still outweighs the side affects.  Any input is greatly appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Inahi said:

Love the videos.  Keep them coming!

I have a 05 Roadster with LOC and secondary delete.  You inspired me to delete the primaries so i ordered a set from fabspeed after seeing your video.  Question:  People have complained about the exhaust smell as being difficult to cope with.  Do you feel its bad?  I don't know how many roadster owners have taken straight pipe route.  I wonder if F1 sound still outweighs the side affects.  Any input is greatly appreciated. 

If you remove the primary cats, and you find it too stinky, at least you can put back on the secondary cats as a solution (if you still have them), and not have to go to the effort of putting back on the stock primaries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, shekhar_p said:

But how's the unburnt fuel smell ?  I have set of primaries sitting in my garage. I just dont want my car smelling like a lawnmower while idling. lol 

I don't think its bad at all, but saying that I generally am moving forward ;-)

This would be a good solution "If you remove the primary cats, and you find it too stinky, at least you can put back on the secondary cats as a solution (if you still have them), and not have to go to the effort of putting back on the stock primaries. "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There isn't a fuel smell IF you have good battery, coils and spark plugs. If your ignition system isn't working 100% you're going to smell unburnt fuel at idle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love your videos. You inspired me to order a set of fabspeed primary deletes.  

Package Came in mail today.  Couldn’t wait so I quickly got started.  Took me about a hour to tear down and get left side cat loose.  I tried to take out without removing sway bar.  No luck.  Guess I’ll have to do that tomorrow.  

Driver side is a PITA.    This side is going to fight me.  First try and  I broke the clamp nut.  I’ll have to figure out how to spin the clamp to get access to the other one.  Any  tips would be much appreciated   

Do I really need to lift the engine?   If I do, Did you have to loosen the two engine mounts?   

Another question    I see you are using o2 spacers   Are the 90 degree ones better than straight?    I see several types on amazon   Any in particular work best for murci?   

I hope to take video of the sound of both loc and tubi with primary and secondary deletes    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Inahi said:

I’ll have to figure out how to spin the clamp to get access to the other one.  Any  tips would be much appreciated   

I removed the nut that was accessible on one side of the clamp to loosen it, and then I used a rod and mallet to knock the clamp to rotate it until I could get to the other nut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Stimpy

I was hoping for a easier solution.   I’ll try again tonight after work.  As for o2 sensor stubs, is there one better than other?   It are they all pretty much the same?  I see some have adjustable holes and filters.  Didn’t know if any of that mattered for Lambo’s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Inahi said:

Love your videos. You inspired me to order a set of fabspeed primary deletes.  

Package Came in mail today.  Couldn’t wait so I quickly got started.  Took me about a hour to tear down and get left side cat loose.  I tried to take out without removing sway bar.  No luck.  Guess I’ll have to do that tomorrow.  

Driver side is a PITA.    This side is going to fight me.  First try and  I broke the clamp nut.  I’ll have to figure out how to spin the clamp to get access to the other one.  Any  tips would be much appreciated   

Do I really need to lift the engine?   If I do, Did you have to loosen the two engine mounts?   

Another question    I see you are using o2 spacers   Are the 90 degree ones better than straight?    I see several types on amazon   Any in particular work best for murci?   

I hope to take video of the sound of both loc and tubi with primary and secondary deletes    

 

You're likely going to snap a few v-band studs. No need to lift the engine to get them out, although it will give you more room and is fairly easy to do (left & right mounts and rear diff mount). 

Any o2 spacer works. 

11 hours ago, Stimpy said:

I removed the nut that was accessible on one side of the clamp to loosen it, and then I used a rod and mallet to knock the clamp to rotate it until I could get to the other nut.

^^^ that. Plenty of u-joints and extensions help too. 

Changing to the single bolt v-band clamp makes life so much easier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love your videos. You inspired me to order a set of fabspeed primary deletes.  

THANKS!

Package Came in mail today.  Couldn’t wait so I quickly got started.  Took me about a hour to tear down and get left side cat loose.  I tried to take out without removing sway bar.  No luck.  Guess I’ll have to do that tomorrow.  

Yes, it has to come out, dont be like me and bolt the exhaust back and had to remove it as I thought I could get the sway bar in after, :-\

Driver side is a PITA.    This side is going to fight me.  First try and  I broke the clamp nut.  I’ll have to figure out how to spin the clamp to get access to the other one.  Any  tips would be much appreciated   

Do I really need to lift the engine?   If I do, Did you have to loosen the two engine mounts?   

I did loosen the DS motormount to slide the cat out. Also lifted it slightly with a floor jack on that side and a 2x4

Another question    I see you are using o2 spacers   Are the 90 degree ones better than straight?    I see several types on amazon   Any in particular work best for murci?   

I bought similar these 02 sensor mounts, 90 degrees, https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-O2-Oxygen-Sensor-Angled-Extender-Spacer-90-degree-02-Bung-Extension-M18-X-1-5-/253682711229?hash=item3b10aafabd

I hope to take video of the sound of both loc and tubi with primary and secondary deletes    

 

Looking forward to it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Old Guy Garage said:

PS; check the Fabspeed pipe exhaust valves to make sure the vacuum line connections are on the correct side, mine were installed backward from them. You can't fix it in the car.

Thanks for the input.  Mine is pre LP so I don’t have valve angles to worry about

aligned to this topic, I see that the sway bar needs to be removed to pull the cats.

did you remove sway bar with vehicle lifted?    I hear it needs to be on the ground   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did not need to remove the sway bar to remove the cats. It’s a Chinese puzzle but it comes out on the driver side fairly easily on a pre-LP. LP is harder because they moved the location of the AC compressor further out. I did all the work except the removal of the original primary cat clamps from the top with the car on the ground.

Oh, for rotating the clamps on the primaries, it helps to spray them with penetrating oil like wd-40 to let them spin easier.

I did a DIY on here with pics, so look for that. It shows how the primaries come out.

I put on sport cats so I didn’t need O2 cheaters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, change your sway bar bushings while you are in there. They are cheap and are known to wear out. Easy to do with exhaust out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No need to remove the sway bar, move engine, remove any engine accessories on the pre-LP. Just go Tetris on it and it will come out. Test pipe is insanely easy to install. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...