What is going to be "the" performance buy for your

ralfabco

I am thinking along the lines of a GT3 ? They can already be found today; in the 80s with low miles (all day long/no problem).

Just imagine in two more years ? What will it be worth then ? 60s or less ? - That is a lot of car for the 60K range with low miles.

the new Plastic mess-06

100% true.

However unless you want to "impress" a bunch of Lamborghini owners, sitting in a LA parking lot (by doing a burnout), you will have little chance of owning something really special. That JC Whitney catalog sure made that car impressive :shock: .

You buy a Plastic mess-06. Two years later, you will see three of the 7.0 liter cars, on each of your legs to and from work. - I am sleepy.

The GT3 is an exotic.

I'm *hearing* that the GT3 is a bit too much for the street....too race car bumpy.

I'm not sure I agree, but this is coming from a serious driver 996 owner...

Just thought I'd throw that out....

Having said that, I think the GT3 is the ultimate 996, IMHO....if I want the power of a GT2, why not "make my own"....either through the fine Porsche shops, or a nice Ruf 993. If this were Ferrari or Lambo, I wouldn't think that way, but I don't see Porsche modifications as heresy.

The GT3 is the true enthusiast 996.....undeniable.

Why get a Gt3 when i can buy a 996TT for prob less, and mod that to kingdom come?

You can mod a GT3 too and it is more fun than a TT

Ultima GTR or a GTM from factory five racing. Both can be built for under 100k and will deliver some serious performance.

Why get a Gt3 when i can buy a 996TT for prob less, and mod that to kingdom come?

You can mod a GT3 too and it is more fun than a TT

Take too much to mod the GT3. With just a chip the TT has 500hp. Youd have to do a turbo conversion on the GT3. Plus TT looks better.

Carrera GT for under $250k would be the car. And yes there have been a few already for that price or less. There was one in michigan that needed the entire left rear suspension, left 1/4 panel and rear bumper for $174 and there is now a yellow one that needs nothing but the right rear quarter panel and some paint work for $250.

At those prices I don't think you can lose.

Carrera GT for under $250k would be the car.  And yes there have been a few already for that price or less.  There was one in michigan that needed the entire left rear suspension, left 1/4 panel and rear bumper for $174 and there is now a yellow one that needs nothing but the right rear quarter panel and some paint work for $250.

At those prices I don't think you can lose.

Please call me in quattro anos.

Hopefully this car will emulate the XJ 220. I hope it drops down to the bottom of the fish tank.

I heard it is the best overall supercar. ...Just overpriced and P screwed the market by overproduction.

the new Plastic mess-06

100% true.

However unless you want to "impress" a bunch of Lamborghini owners, sitting in a LA parking lot (by doing a burnout), you will have little chance of owning something really special. That JC Whitney catalog sure made that car impressive :shock: .

You buy a Plastic mess-06. Two years later, you will see three of the 7.0 liter cars, on each of your legs to and from work. - I am sleepy.

The GT3 is an exotic.

You did'nt say anything about it having ot be exotic. The new Plastic mess-06 will blow the doors off of a lot of rides out there and then add some mods to it, forget it. I'll wait a year and see what they do in value. I might pick one up just to mess with it and then drive it over to Allan's house and park it in his driveway every now and then take pics and post them up here just to fcuk with him. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You did'nt say anything about it having ot be exotic. The new Plastic mess-06 will blow the doors off of a lot of rides out there and then add some mods to it, forget it. I'll wait a year and see what they do in value. I might pick one up just to mess with it and then drive it over to Allan's house and park it in his driveway every now and then take pics and post them up here just to fcuk with him.   :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol:

Tough choice, right now nothing touches a used Plastic mess-06, simply because they plummet so hard, and so fast, on the used market and its performance is so strong.

All is not perfect in "Plastic mess-06 land" however. Car and Driver drove it for their latest issue on GM's dime, including a press junket that shipped cars to the Nubrugring and also at Spa, lucky bastards, and they said the following about its handling and feel under those conditions:

"Eventually we got comfortable. As benign as the POS handles, the chassis still moves around and takes some getting used to. Some cars, like the Porsche 911, provide and instant confident feeling that the Plastic mess-06 does not impart. It's tough to put your finger on exactly why that is. The Plastic mess-06 corners flatly, and it breaks away in a smooth easily controlled manner, but it takes some time to get confident with its behavior. The steering is a tad numb, even though we didn't detect and fee play or slop."

Supercar performance or not, I bet a few people in this thread would choose something other than the Plastic mess-06 in the secondary market after a test drive if they prioritize other things besides just raw speed. Not the majority maybe, but a few.

the new Plastic mess-06

100% true.

The GT3 is an exotic.

You did'nt say anything about it having ot be exotic. The new Plastic mess-06 will blow the doors off of a lot of rides out there and then add some mods to it, forget it. I'll wait a year and see what they do in value. I might pick one up just to mess with it and then drive it over to Allan's house and park it in his driveway every now and then take pics and post them up here just to fcuk with him. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yes. You are correct I did not mention anything, about putting the exotic factor into the equation. Why stop at the Plastic mess-06 ? What about a crate motor in a Chevelle? LOL. Please do not forget to put stickers all over that Plastic mess-06; if you decide to park it in front of Allan's house :lol: . JC Whitney has plenty of items

You are all Corvette haters. Mako needs some rehab with his Corvette issues :lol: .

if the ford gt drops to 100k or under in a couple of years i would love to have one.

viper srt-10 are a pretty good bargin now (if you like the styling) considering you can pick one up in the high 50's.

(something about the domestics just don't seem to hold value very well)

a carrera gt for less than 250k would be awesome.

Take too much to mod the GT3. With just a chip the TT has 500hp. Youd have to do a turbo conversion on the GT3. Plus TT looks better.

Because its not all about horsepower. The weight savings alone on the GT3 is worth its lack of weight in gold as far as I'm concerned and although I've yet to get behind the wheel of one, I hear the feedback is stellar. For a lot of people, the "driving experience" has little to do with how hard you get pushed back into the seat. An S2000 is far more fun to me than a 911TT (I've had the priveledge of track and street time in an S2000 and street time in a 996TT)

I consider the GT3 to be the best production Porsche made barring the CGT and I'm not alone.

Bill in Brooklyn

if the ford gt drops to 100k or under in a couple of years i would love to have one.

viper srt-10 are a pretty good bargin now (if you like the styling) considering you can pick one up in the high 50's.

(something about the domestics just don't seem to hold value very well)

a carrera gt for less than 250k would be awesome.

The Ford GT will be less than 100K in two years. They will be sticker in a few months. They will keep building these cars.

I am thinking along the lines of a GT3 ?    They can already be found today; in the 80s with low miles (all day long/no problem).    

Just imagine in two more years ?    What will it be worth then ?   60s or less ?  -  That is a lot of car for the 60K range with low miles.

Define performance ... what need are we filling? As a track-day car, its hard to beat a GT3, the new Plastic mess-06, an Elise, or even a suspended NSX (I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but Flying Miata's aren't too shabby either).

If you're a drag racer, the C6Z06, new Viper Coupe, and even the Pontiac GTO make decent platforms from which to start (though the US has lost all solid-rear-axle muscle-cars which hurts this segment, no, the Mustang doesn't count ... it has no muscle)

If you're a cone-dodger .. Elise, Miata, S2000 ... that's about it.

You get the idea.

Bill in Brooklyn

The Ford GT will be less than 100K in two years.   They will be sticker in a few months.    They will keep building these cars.

:vom: :vom: :vom: :vom:

Great choice that would be my third option.

I am thinking along the lines of a GT3 ?    They can already be found today; in the 80s with low miles (all day long/no problem).    

Just imagine in two more years ?    What will it be worth then ?   60s or less ?  -  That is a lot of car for the 60K range with low miles.

Define performance ... what need are we filling? As a track-day car, its hard to beat a GT3, the new Plastic mess-06, an Elise, or even a suspended NSX (I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but Flying Miata's aren't too shabby either).

If you're a drag racer, the C6Z06, new Viper Coupe, and even the Pontiac GTO make decent platforms from which to start (though the US has lost all solid-rear-axle muscle-cars which hurts this segment, no, the Mustang doesn't count ... it has no muscle)

If you're a cone-dodger .. Elise, Miata, S2000 ... that's about it.

You get the idea.

Bill in Brooklyn

Bill:

You're points are correct. I did not give enough information in my original post. I am more interested in a track car. Somebody has to be able to catch BMWRicer. This is why I like the GT 3. It appears to be one heck-of-a-deal.

I am not ready to buy today. However given that the car is in the 80's today, I feel it will be in the 60's a few years down the road. - That is for a superb original car with approx 5,000 miles or less. I desire a stock unwrecked superb vehicle. I would only be interested in exhaust headers, chipping and changing the exhaust.

I think the GT3 would suit your needs very well. I remember reading about it and seeing the Top Gear reviews which concluded that, for the money, it has one heck of a performance and "fun-to-drive" package. I saw a few of them and they look gorgeous and sound absolutely great IMO. I'd definitely get one if I could, especially over a TT. A GT2 on the other hand...;)

-Olivier

Bill:

You're points are correct.   I did not give enough information in my original post.   I am more interested in a track car.  Somebody has to be able to catch BMWRicer.   This is why I like the GT 3.    It appears to be one heck-of-a-deal.  

I am not ready to buy today.  However given that the car is in the 80's today, I feel it will be in the 60's a few years down the road. -  That is for a superb original car with approx 5,000 miles or less.   I desire a stock unwrecked superb vehicle.   I would only be interested in exhaust headers, chipping and changing the exhaust.

Absolutely, not question about it ... GT3 (RS if you can find one).

Bill in Brooklyn