Skeet Shooting

HannibalACP82

I know we have a ton of skeet/trap shooters on the forum. What is everyone's shotgun of choice?

Since I just started my firearm collection last year after I bought my house I have been using my do everything shotgun for trap shooting. That means the shotgun has to pull duty for hunting, skeet/trap, home defense and general usefulness. While not the fanciest I love my Mossberg 500. I get plenty of looks when I show up to skeet shoot with an 18.5 in tactical shotgun (no choke!!) but I can usually hold my own.

Mossberg500Tactical.gif

When not at the club a bunch of us go over to a local farmers place. We help him with some odd jobs and he lets us shoot when we feel like it. I have a nice 3/4 cocking launcher from Do-All that gets the job done and my buddy usually brings his hand launcher too. When I get a chance to shoot my brother's Mossberg 500 Field with the 28in barrel I feel like I can reach out and touch the clays.

My dream autoloader is the Benelli SuperSport. I love the way it looks in Carbon Fiber and the gun is unbelievably light.

5044.jpg

Not to go too off topic, but I'm looking for a Beretta Silver Pigeon now. Been using a modified Remington auto, switching to o/u. You?

BTW, I had a bit of gravel off-roading to do to get to the range. The lift helps :)

O/U are very classy but I want to add a true skeet gun (or at least something with a barrel longer then a sawed off) to the collection first and I want an autoloader. Carol2020 and her husband shoot a lot and I know they switched over from auto's to O/U due to the ease of cleaning. I am sure she will chime in at some point. I don't remember what kind of O/U they shoot with now.

O/U are very classy but I want to add a true skeet gun (or at least something with a barrel longer then a sawed off) to the collection first and I want an autoloader. Carol2020 and her husband shoot a lot and I know they switched over from auto's to O/U due to the ease of cleaning. I am sure she will chime in at some point. I don't remember what kind of O/U they shoot with now.

What do you consider a true skeet gun? I always think of o/u's as true skeet... and you are right, easier to clean. Easier to pick up shells too lol.

I've got the same Mossberg 18.5" -- I love that thing. I've never skeet/trap shot with it but it's great at blowing up watermelons!

My friends are laughing at the end of the video because a piece of the watermelon landed on one of their heads lol

What do you consider a true skeet gun? I always think of o/u's as true skeet... and you are right, easier to clean. Easier to pick up shells too lol.

I always thought of autoloaders with a barrel length of atleast 26inches as a true skeet gun. I guess though O/U are the original true skeet gun. Let me put it this way. I want an autoloader more than I want an O/U. An autoloader I can use as a skeet gun will be my next shotgun and then down the road I will get an O/U.

We started with Beretta AL391 12 gauge 30". We primarily shoot sporting clays but we also shoot skeet and trap on occasion (along with 5 stand). I loved the Beretta - soft felt recoil, easy to load, well balanced. Hubby hated cleaning all the parts/pieces (as you recall) so we switched to O/U.

I shoot a Browning Cynergy 12 ga 32". I LOVE IT! I'd swear the felt recoil is equal to the Beretta. Well balanced and I love the contemporary styling. I'm not one for traditional or retro styling (of just about anything).

Hubby shoots a Kreighoff K-80 12 ga 32". He also loves his - everything from balance to recoil to style (very traditional).

We don't shoot each other's guns - ever - they don't fit at all. I have tried his and find the felt recoil much greater (to the point that I don't like it)

Nemacolin, which has world class sporting clays, used to rent semi-auto Berettas but I think everything they have now is O/U. You could call around to a few places to see what they rent - it may be a good way to try something before buying.

Good luck with your search. See you at the Fri night show and/or C&C

We started with Beretta AL391 12 gauge 30". We primarily shoot sporting clays but we also shoot skeet and trap on occasion (along with 5 stand). I loved the Beretta - soft felt recoil, easy to load, well balanced. Hubby hated cleaning all the parts/pieces (as you recall) so we switched to O/U.

I shoot a Browning Cynergy 12 ga 32". I LOVE IT! I'd swear the felt recoil is equal to the Beretta. Well balanced and I love the contemporary styling. I'm not one for traditional or retro styling (of just about anything).

Hubby shoots a Kreighoff K-80 12 ga 32". He also loves his - everything from balance to recoil to style (very traditional).

We don't shoot each other's guns - ever - they don't fit at all. I have tried his and find the felt recoil much greater (to the point that I don't like it)

Nemacolin, which has world class sporting clays, used to rent semi-auto Berettas but I think everything they have now is O/U. You could call around to a few places to see what they rent - it may be a good way to try something before buying.

Good luck with your search. See you at the Fri night show and/or C&C

Damn. A lady Lambo owner AND a shooter. Anything happens to hubby I call dibbs. :icon_mrgreen:

I've shot skeet with my Browning Citori (2nd to bottom) a few times and it is a great gun. It has really held up to the test of time with nearly zero maintenance as well. My Grandpa bought in the 70's and kept it out at the ranch and gave it to my Dad about 15 years ago who in turn gave it to me as my 25th birthday gift 2 years back. Assuming it doesn't get stolen, I'm hoping I can pass it along to my kid somewhere down the road.

gunsl.jpg

I dont understand why nobody likes to shoot skeet with me...

IMG_0630.JPG

For the money, a Browning Citori is a reliable and classic SKEET gun.

Another Browning Citori owner checking in. I love O/U's. I use my Citori for trap/skeet/sporting clays, etc. Super easy to strip/clean and it's never let me down. Definitely check them out.

My 18" bbl Police Magnum 870 with ghost ring night sights is not ideal for skeet shooting. Over/unders or longer barrel with simple(er) sights works best for skeet. When you have the right shotgun it can really be fun.

My dad uses an Over and Under Beretta for hunting and clays. He loves it and so do I. I use my Beretta Semi Auto for hunting/clays, and it does great, but not as good as I do with the over and under.