Vegas to London Plane on Fire

HannibalACP82

Layed down last night in the hotel and turned on the TV to see this the night before I fly out...already don't like flying haha. Scary stuff. Sitting in Nashville International Airport now, hopefully my Southwest flight has no problems. Glad to hear everyone survived though.

_85444288_jordan_masters_604242.jpg

British Airways not Virgin.

Name of eyewitness the majority of the press are using. Reggie Bugmuncher

So the engine is engulfed in flames... right under the wing which is holding enough fuel to send that thing on a 10 hour trip (5 and change if they stop in NY)... And all those assholes (other than the one black dude) are strolling away like they just handed the valet their keys. :shock:

Call me crazy, but I would be trying to put as much distance between me and that time-bomb as possible.

So the engine is engulfed in flames... right under the wing which is holding enough fuel to send that thing on a 10 hour trip (5 and change if they stop in NY)... And all those assholes (other than the one black dude) are strolling away like they just handed the valet their keys. :shock:

Call me crazy, but I would be trying to put as much distance between me and that time-bomb as possible.

:iamwithstupid: I was thinking the same thing!

:iamwithstupid: I was thinking the same thing!

+10000000

I would annihilate Bolts worldrecord!

+10000000

I would annihilate Bolts worldrecord!

Me too. Though it's not as bad as the Asiana crash in SF a few years ago. Passengers were dragging their carry on's across the runway after surviving a crash landing and a plane that was on fire.

post-13077-1441813580_thumb.jpg

^Exactly. And what's with all the bags? Isn't an evacuation, especially one with open flames & smoke, suppose to be ditch everything and just get out of the plane as quick as possible? Surprised that everyone seems to look so cool as if nothing happened.

:iamwithstupid:

I'd be looking back saying to Usain Bolt, are you coming mate?

It was a British flight, of course we are cool.

Interesting little tidbit of history. BA was a staunch user of Rolls Royce (British pride, although the RB211 is a great motor), until GE offered BA an ABSURD amount of money to buy their engine overhaul facility. GE paid an absurd amount because BA owned all the IP to Rolls Royce engine overhaul and maintenance procedures. Literally one of the most insane, back stabbing deals in the history of aviation. Part of this deal included GE90 power for the BA 777s, but early GE90s sucked so BA flipped back to Rolls Royce for later orders, until ordering the 77W.

/WheelsFacts

post-7693-1441801817.jpg

British Airways not Virgin.

Name of eyewitness the majority of the press are using. Reggie Bugmuncher

Sorry about that cappy....I should know better than to trust CNN first reports.

As for Bolts record... You would have heard 2 sounds...the woosh from the vacuum my body leaving the seat made and the crack from the sonic boom as I grabbed my kids and wife and GTFO'd

Not that I've spent a bunch of time on triple 7s lately or anything.

i was there at the airport when it happened......i was boarding my plane going to EWR when the pilot announced what happened and that we had to get off. Apparently theres only 1 runway for large planes to use, so there was no ETA on when operations would resume.

i hung around the airport for a bit trying to figure out an alternate plan, i had to be in NY the next day but my wife said fcuk it lets just stay an extra night in vegas. as i was getting my ticket rescheduled, they told us that they were able to offload some fuel (so they can use the shorter runway) and take a different route (shorter flight time). Ended up landing at 2am vs the original 1am (not bad at all)