I need Aston Martin vanquish advice

abolfaz

I'm thinking about trading in the wifes car for a vanquish, the local AM dealer has a black/black 05 demo that they are willing to cut a hell of a deal on. I don't know anybody that owns one and haven't been able to get feedback from any owners. Does anybody here know anything about the car? Any problems? I've heard there are some issues with the tranny, but nothing verified. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

I have heard the e-tranny isn't the greatest. It doesn't downshift when you want it to. The power and the ride quality are apparently top-notch.

I have heard the e-tranny isn't the greatest.  It doesn't downshift when you want it to.  The power and the ride quality are apparently top-notch.

You saw that episode ot Top Gear too? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The owner of my golf club has/had one. He loved it. It's one of the best sounding cars on the market, very smooth ride and I think its better looking than the DB9.

He had no issues with the paddle shifter although the DB9 system is better for properly driving the car, but the Vanquish is fine for day to day driving.

Overall he absolutely adored the car but I've never driven one. Driven a DB7 though and that was nice, so the Vanquish must be horn inducing!

I have heard the e-tranny isn't the greatest.  It doesn't downshift when you want it to.  The power and the ride quality are apparently top-notch.

thats exactly what they said on Top Gear.

fcuk Top Gear. Useless.

If Mike wanted quotes from uninformed overpaid tv entertainers he'd ask for them. Please leave this thread for actual Vanquish owners or friends of Vanquish owners to comment please.

thats exactly what they said on Top Gear.

Ya, I did see that episode, but I had heard it elsewhere also.

Sorry.

No need for apologies, you're all just trying to help. What I want you guys to understand however is that regurgitating "reviews" from paid entertainers is not actually helping.

Actual owner testimonials are the best source of info, bert your link is a perfect example of the sort of feedback I'd want to see. Good job. :supz:

Jeremy Clarkson's latest mindfart doesn't help answer Mike's question. :mrgreen:

Jeremy Clarkson's latest mindfart doesn't help answer Mike's question.  :mrgreen:

Theres only one Mako! :lol: :lol:

Abolfaz,

Never drove one, but ive seen and heard them, and omg, get one! so beautiful yet muscular, and they sound great! IMO the best GT there is. :supz:

I have a neighboor with a Black Vanquish that uses it almost daily, trips even to the dry cleaner... looks amazing on the road, he drives a little slow so I know its babied. Car seems heavy as it always overshoots the line/ stopping point. But looks wise it is stunningly elegent

Didn't JimmyJ get one for Kim?????  :lol:  

(sorry couldn't help myself)

Thats funny because when jimmyj said he put a deposit on the amv8, I ran out to the local AM dealer and they told me that neither they or any other dealer was taking deposits on the amv8. That really made me think what the hell jimmyj had ordered.... :-k

Read this thread a little late but i was looking for a Vanquish at one point because the prices have fallen so drastically. But alot of people said the car had significant engine problems. It was similar to any British car you could get lucky and get a perfect trouble-free car or more than likely you could get stuck with a dog.

Never owned one but considered it about 18 months ago and, subsequently, test driven it a couple of times. Looks stunning (a completely different philosophy from Lambo: both of them are fine, one would not upstage the other). Sounds awesome flooring it while the car is in neutral :lol: but no where as fast as it should be especially at the price range! The car feels heavy (which it is), not much steering feel, seems to need better brakes and the transmission sometimes needs to think about it after you issue your shift command, i.e. it hesitates. Inside, the dash is a grab bag from Jag and its fellow Ford cousins (the DB-9, being newer, actually does a better job but still borrow parts from Range Rover)! Don't know about your end of the continent but here the car's value drops like stone! You'll lose big time when it's time to sell/trade. By now, you have an idea why I never bought one --- not worth the $$$ for what it offers. Service adviser from dealership who's a friend also informed that it has some reliablility issues. But if it's the super elegant/suave looks that your're after, then this obviously is it. Overall, a gentleman's car more for the looks than actual performance. A car to be admired only --- definitely not a car to be admired AND can competently performed. Just my 0.02 worth...hope it helped.

fcuk Top Gear. Useless.  

If Mike wanted quotes from uninformed overpaid tv entertainers he'd ask for them. Please leave this thread for actual Vanquish owners or friends of Vanquish owners  to comment please.

I love it!! :lol: :lol:

I mentioned in another post about the DB9 (went for a ride, never driven though) and was impressed. The best part was it belonged to an older gentleman and it was a 6 speed manual, just kinda funny as you'd assume most people and especially older folk don't want to be driving manual trans cars in this range. He also mentioned he tested the Vanquish and wasn't impressed with the trans and said it was very jerky and slow to react (maybe there was an update later on?). Plus he liked the DB9 looks better, which I agree with, and the interior is beautiful and it offered a manual trans. He said the auto/manual trans that you can get on the DB9 drove much better then the Vanquish one for whatever reason and acted like a true auto/manual that downshifted and upshifted quickly. Does Aston offer two different F1 style trans, b/c all I read is bad stuff on the Vanquish one but praise for the DB9 one?

If it were me, I would go for the DB9, I just think the Vanquish is overpriced and though I like it's looks I prefer the smooth and elegent shape of the DB9, along with the great interior. Plus it offers a manual trans, I'm not an F1 style guy. Regardless, with the Sport Exhaust option I think that DB9 was one of, if not, the loudest stock car I've been in. It screamed, I love the sound of Lambo's twelve, but the Aston twelve just has this wicked howl to it.

If only they offered the Vanquish S power in the DB9, that with the 6 speed manual would make an already incredible car even better.

Good points everyone. I won't buy a db9 right now because I don't want to take a hit on the car, they are already trading for $140 to $150, where if I get a good deal on a Vanquish, I wont take as bad of a hit. From what I can see, the DB9 is a womans car, period. Even my wife thinks so, but the vanquish (more so in black) looks powerfull. If she wants it, why would I argue?

I love the look of the Vanquish.I test drove one before i bought the Bentley and found it to be underpowered and heavy.The finish is exquisite and it does sound fantastic.I think the Vanquish S would be the one to buy

I love the look of the Vanquish.I test drove one before i bought the Bentley and found it to be underpowered and heavy.The finish is exquisite and it does sound fantastic.I think the Vanquish S would be the one to buy

I agree, but this is a deal that I'm considering on a specific car, I wish it was an S!! I don't know what Arams area is like, but the Continental GT is everywhere in Miami, astons are still rare. I was at a trafic light near my last week, there was a black gt in front of me (with a temp tag), one black gt to the right of me and a silver gt two cars behind me. Its a great car, but that was a bit much for me!