Whats the story with the SL65?

phxdiablo

I've been looking at buying an MB SL65 and don't understand why this car is not talked about much.

Is god awful fast and with a few modifications, this car can pull 10's.

Its gotta be the "sleeper" car of the century and should lay waste to McLarens, Vipers and yes, even my 6.0.

So is there any story to it or is it just because they look like every other S-Class?

I thought they were 604hp stock. I'm sure with mods you can get 700 easy. I love the car myself. I think it's amazing for what it is. A daily driver that hauls ass! Where's that video of the SL65 keeping up with and eventually passing the SLR?

Why would anybody spend the money on an SL65 when you can pick up an SL600 for a fraction of the price and have the ECU and TCU rennteched for

I have the name of a great shop here in So Cal if your interested in talking to their Cheif Tech..He's very well respected in the MB world.

Cheers

J

Oh yea, I don't have the specs handy but I believe they are 700 HP and 600 Torque.  V12-TT.

I think its actually reverse- 604 hp (or something like that) and about 738 lb ft torque. I've read the MB has to limit the torque of the engine becuase their transmission can't handle it- supposedly unlimited it will do 800+ lb ft. Now, how true that is, i can't say.

Oh yea, I don't have the specs handy but I believe they are 700 HP and 600 Torque.  V12-TT.

I think its actually reverse- 604 hp (or something like that) and about 738 lb ft torque. I've read the MB has to limit the torque of the engine becuase their transmission can't handle it- supposedly unlimited it will do 800+ lb ft. Now, how true that is, i can't say.

You're right. 850 was the fully tuned version prior to driveline component failure, hence the 738 ft./lbs.

The torque/transmission thing is correct, although, I haven't heard anything of them blowing when modded.

I guess the big thing against them is that they look like every SL out there. There is nothing special about the looks, and not many know what is going on under the hood. To some, that is a good thing. To others, they want to be seen, or at least have their car somewhat recognized.

I have heard they are a bit much to handle, and can get turned around pretty quick. That with it being an automatic, loses a lot of appeal. Boring to drive, and when you push it, it bites you in the butt.

Personally, I'd like it!!! :P :)

I have one and love it. The perfect GT. The only issue I have is that it looks pretty much like any other SL. Other than that, the thing hauls ass! I haven't had a single problem yet. With the Renntech upgrade,not much can even come close.

I have one and love it. The perfect GT. The only issue I have is that it looks pretty much like any other SL. Other than that, the thing hauls ass! I haven't had a single problem yet. With the Renntech upgrade,not much can even come close.

Well, I think they weigh a bit much for a GT car. I would much rather a Aston or 575 for a gt car.

But the fact that is a convert, well, it is a great boulevard cruiser.

Not sure, but as mentioned above you may actually be handcuffed by the transmission. this is not a cheap replacement I dont think, so Im really not sure that mods leading to HP via a significant torque boost (or at least max torque figure boost) are such a good idea....

Whenever im driving next to one of those beasts, the drive seems to have a hard time not chipping the tires from a standstill lol. You can hear that the engine is barely revving, and the car just flies away!

The problem with the car is that the engine is too much for the chassis and the car is not good at putting the power down on the tarmac.It is also quite heavy and not distinctive enough.

It is IMO a very good daily driver but not a sportscar

I would get the SL 600 and have it ren teched out. and yes the Sl 65 is 604 HP with 738 torque. I can find you one mike if you like. Actually I have a line a on a mint SL 600 right now. Black on black with Nav. Thing is mint.

Why would anybody spend the money on an SL65 when you can pick up an SL600 for a fraction of the price and have the ECU and TCU rennteched for <$5K and pull 700 + HP ..I was considering picking one up.

I have the name of a great shop here in So Cal if your interested in talking to their Cheif Tech..He's very well respected in the MB world.

Cheers

J

People by the 65 because you can do the same thing as the 600, but get 100-150 more HP out of it because its a bigger motor. The body, suspension, and brakes are also better on the 65 to handle abuse.

Once you see the vid of the chipped SL65 passing the SLR, you might change your mind.

A friend of mine raced an SL 65 on the highway one night in his Plastic mess-06. He was burned so hard he didnt even know what hit em. :lol: I was in the passenger seat of the POS and that thing pulled so hard down the fast lane it almost seemed effortless. :lol: My friend didnt know anything about the car and didnt believe me when i told him it was most likely stock. :lol:

In my opinion they are BADASSS cars, and probably the ultimate "luxery cruiser" out there. I think like the rest of the guys said, their biggest problem is they just arent distinquishable enough from any other SL. They are still incredible looking cars in my opinion (beautiful lines to that car!), but if youre looking to get noticed that car probably wont do it as much as others will.

However, since you already have the Diablo to pick up some stares, that might be a perfect choice for your stable! ;)

You can get near the straight line speed with a rennteched 600 but with way more stress on the engine/trans?brakes. No limited slip, no quad exhaust, the car is not an AMG so no AMG interior (you can get the sport package for some of the exterior but not all) no cool wheels etc. For the diff. in price I think a highly discounted 65 was much better for me.

a SL600 is supposed to accelerate faster then the SL65, probably because of what BMWRACER wrote

Quick fix=wider wheels+stickier tires.

a SL600 is supposed to accelerate faster then the SL65, probably because of what BMWRACER wrote

Not quite. With the Lsd the 65 puts the power down better than the 600. Look at all the record times so far, they are all 65's. 600's are close but no cigar! Put drag radials on either and much of the traction problem is gone.

The problem with the car is that the engine is too much for the chassis and the car is not good at putting the power down on the tarmac.It is also quite heavy and not distinctive enough.

It is IMO a very good daily driver but not a sportscar

Amen. I would buy one as a cruiser/daily driver. Nothing more, nothing less. It's just such a good car to just chill in, catch sun a bit...and then, if a cocky (insert car name here) owner thinks he can win a good ole' street race, just lay the smackdown.

It's the ultimate cabrio cruiser.

-Olivier

if you want a sleeper cruiser, a mildly moded 55 will still destroy 98% of whats out there, and be lighter on the gas (i would think) A guy at the gym has a CL65 and he says even just cruising the thing inhales fuel.

I've been looking at buying an MB SL65 and don't understand why this car is not talked about much.

Its gotta be the "sleeper" car of the century and should lay waste to McLarens, Vipers and yes, even my 6.0.

So is there any story to it or is it just because they look like every other S-Class?

...A while back I knew a guy that was selling his k8 Brabus SL55 AMG... he wanted 153k it had 200k+ worth of work done to it..

...A while back I knew a guy that was selling his k8 Brabus SL55 AMG... he wanted 153k it had 200k+ worth of work done to it..

I can pick up an SL 65 for less than that right now. Those along with the CL 65 tanked in price after they came out.