Thinking of buying a collector car in the 20 - 25K - range

MANG

I don't know if I would call this a collector car, but a nice clean low-mile Porsche 928. I have always had a soft-spot for the 928's.

I have had several, I love them. I currently have two with leather dashes that are perfect (very rare for those who know 928's).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A late '80s 911 Carrera 3.2 euro spec, wide body with whale tale might be a good pick...I drove an '83 SC earlier today...cool car.

You could also grab an early Dino 308 GT/4 for that price....but can you f*** with the maintenance? ;)

Funny....at one time you could recommend American muscle all day long at 25k....now, not so easy.

These appear fun

You will not see one everyday. Alfa Montreal

:icon_thumleft:

little 33 derived V8 engine, RWD, Gandini body

can't go wrong with it

a friend of mine is buyng his 3rd montreal

the 2nd one costed him 11500 euro + 8000 body and engine worck: i'll post pics when completed

I have made an offer on a 1986 Porsche 930. I can't resist 930's. If I land the deal I will take some photos with my CT. For the record the car I am close to buying is a red 86 with black interior :eusa_think: same as my CT - should be a nice combo! Photos coming for all you car nuts - should know later tonite or tomorrow!

I have made an offer on a 1986 Porsche 930. I can't resist 930's. If I land the deal I will take some photos with my CT. For the record the car I am close to buying is a red 86 with black interior :eusa_think: same as my CT - should be a nice combo! Photos coming for all you car nuts - should know later tonite or tomorrow!

Deal is done, I am picking up the car Thursday or Friday and I will post photos soon. I appreciate all the great suggestions, but was narrowed down to a 930 or an early Alfa Spyder. 930's ROCK! :icon_super:

Deal is done, I am picking up the car Thursday or Friday and I will post photos soon. I appreciate all the great suggestions, but was narrowed down to a 930 or an early Alfa Spyder. 930's ROCK! :icon_super:

Congratulations :headbang:

BMW E30 M3. One owner, all original, good miles, all records are in this range and some are close to $30K

salvage title and / or needing a lot of re-work, multiple owners, mileage all over the place, are now $10k+ easy.

They are getting harder and harder to find, been watching these for a couple years now. Regret selling mine too. It was not perfect but I could of got $5K more if I waited another year or so to sell.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally some photo of my new baby, parked next to my favorite baby!!! The 930 is exceptional and original, but I can't wait to detail and sort everything out - will be a fall project. Range Rover is my driver - a '98 that I just powder coated the original wheels, added oversized all-terrain ta's, heavy duty springs for max. factory ride height and Bilstein shocks to replace the problematic air suspensiion system. Love my rides...enjoy the photos...

post-9329-1179545308_thumb.jpg

post-9329-1179545377_thumb.jpg

post-9329-1179545492_thumb.jpg

post-9329-1179545667_thumb.jpg

Guest skokos

wow great pics!! the bright red porsche looks awesome next to the bright red countach! :icon_thumleft:

Can you tell us a little, how it is like to drive the 930 ? (performance driving) !!!!

I know they lag down low. I heard when the Turbo kicks in, it is like a rocket ship ?

Congratulations, on your new rosso bebe :icon_super: :icon_super: :icon_pidu: :icon_pidu:

My kind of Garage :icon_super:

Can you tell us a little, how it is like to drive the 930 ? (performance driving) !!!!

I know they lag down low. I heard when the Turbo kicks in, it is like a rocket ship ?

Congratulations, on your new rosso bebe :icon_super: :icon_super: :icon_pidu: :icon_pidu:

exactly....lag up to 3,000 - 3,500 rpms and then woosh. A fair amount of people get in trouble on freeways looking back over thier shoulders as they accelertate to pass and overshoot their entry back in and almost run into cars in front of them as the turbo winds up and shoots them back in their seats. I just think they are a race car in luxurious drag to drive, handling, comfort visibility, balance, all feels so right to me. I have a lot of detailing to do on the Porsche, but it will clean up real nice. I'll post pictures after I have obsessed over it for a while, but not till after summer, I plan to drive it and enjoy the great weather in it.

The house is a friends in Tahoe. My home underwent a (broken pipe related) flood and will be back together in another month or so. I only have a two car garage and will be finishing it pretty nice to house the two red babes! I'll send photos. The Range Rover will have to stay outside for now :(

Tahoe sounds nice to cruise around in the summer. Enjoy.

Tahoe is amazing in the summer. I moved here 15 years ago as an avid skiier and stayed for the summers. With all this global warming and catastropic weather, I am thinking there are going to be some real heat waves this summer. Places like Tahoe are really nice escapes from California valleys and even high desert valleys of Nevada. Maximum summer temperature is high 80's and usually consistently 80 degrees or so all summer.

Tahoe is amazing in the summer. I moved here 15 years ago as an avid skiier and stayed for the summers. With all this global warming and catastropic weather, I am thinking there are going to be some real heat waves this summer. Places like Tahoe are really nice escapes from California valleys and even high desert valleys of Nevada. Maximum summer temperature is high 80's and usually consistently 80 degrees or so all summer.

I grew up in Foster City and went to college in Stockton. Tahoe was our family summer vacation.

I remember cruising around to north shore for dinner.

In laws have a place in Nevada City. Its just a beautiful spot.

I grew up in Foster City and went to college in Stockton. Tahoe was our family summer vacation.

I remember cruising around to north shore for dinner.

In laws have a place in Nevada City. Its just a beautiful spot.

A lot of Tahoe friends are buying up AZ near you. Everyone likes the year round 80 degree life. AZ in the winter and Tahoe in the summer. Not a bad way to go!

nsxer - I am with you on the 930's - the first generation cars...1975/76 - 1989 are the best value collectible 'super' car out there when you factor in EVERYTHING!! I toiled with early Alfa's, but no offense, they are like fragile (albeit pretty) little toys next to a 930. I love the race car styling...flares...tail...in your face :excl: !!! I love the drive, car accelerates like no other and feels so effortless doing so!

From what I heard, with the gearing on the 930 4spd, the car can push all the way to 190+.

With mods.

Any idea how much power it would take, to move the car to that speed ? Engine power ? Not at the wheel.

From what I heard, with the gearing on the 930 4spd, the car can push all the way to 190+.

With mods.

Any idea how much power it would take, to move the car to that speed ? Engine power ? Not at the wheel.

I only have experience with factory horsepower and the power has always been very impressive to me. I can only imagine a ruf modified turbo capable of 200 mph SAFELY!! My understanding is that a low mileage ruf is a great way to go. The high mileage ruf cars are beat to hell when driven at power for years. I once test drove a beautiful slant nose full ruf 930 originally owned by Jack Clark from ML baseball. It was a spectacular charcoal gray/black and a very fast car. No 930 compares to any CT!!! :aiwebs_011:

post-9329-1179694698_thumb.jpg

I like stock unmodified cars as well. With a 930, it is tempting to sneak in a few mods, without changing the engines exterior appearance.

Ruf parts cost a lot of change.

I was surprised for the better, when I saw how cheap the early 930's cost. You can find a nice early 930, for in the low 20's. WOW.

I like stock unmodified cars as well. With a 930, it is tempting to sneak in a few mods, without changing the engines exterior appearance.

Ruf parts cost a lot of change.

I was surprised for the better, when I saw how cheap the early 930's cost. You can find a nice early 930, for in the low 20's. WOW.

exactly...for just over 20K right now it is a great and stylish car. I did find a beautiful '78 ruf turbo for you? It is at Sloan's cars - he has some very nice cars and very high prices, but this car looks really tasty, and the ruf mods are all pretty fresh. It looks like a great fkin car!!

http://www.sloancars.com/vs1/inventory.asp

wish I had more throw around dough and room for that particular car - I LOVE BLACK 930's and a ruf coupe in black is as good as it gets. I also am not a fan of cabriolets, the porsche shape that is so 'right' gets ruined on the convertible imho.

I have seen Sloan's website. It is a good idea to start hi, and close at the correct retail level. I believe he does negotiate on price ?

When looking for collector cars, I always like to find (when possible) original wild factory combinations. Of course mechanical considerations, are the most important factor when buying a used car. This is available in Germany. At 49.9K Euros, it is a little too much change !! The 930 brings a lot more money in Europe.

ee49_27.jpg

PICS!!!! i love the 930 !

i am just not man enough to drive one without killing myself!

:icon_mrgreen: