Well, the Lambo guys aren't gonna like it....

chuckd

But we finally did THE race! SLR 722, which arrived last night, versus the Murcielago LP640. First the setup....

The 722 has a full tank of 91 octane gas, and my wife is driving (130 pounds). She's in Sport mode, fully automatic. All she has to do is stomp on the gas and hold on.

I'm in the LP640, with 1/6 tank of gas, which is 101 octane racing fuel. I weigh 215 pounds. I'm in Sport mode too, but of course I have to paddle shift. PLUS, I'm holding the camera with my left hand, so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage.

We're racing to 130 Mph, then backing off, using the 722 speedometer as our guide (The LP is waaaay off, like always).

My wife starts us with a finger count up (1, 2, 3, GO!).

I'm NOT using any launch control, just stomping on it and upshifting at around 7500 RPM or so.

Both cars are stock.

My start sucks, so please be nice! But, I think she got an early jump.

See for yourself.

http://media.putfile.com/SLR-722-vs-Murcielago-LP640

We raced again without me holding the camera, with similar results (I actually had a slight rolling start). Don't be fooled at the end of the video where I seem to be staying even (like if we raced to 200 I might catch up). She had backed off the gas already and was coasting, wondering what that little yellow speck in her rearview mirror was!

As a side note, we spent all morning racing our standard SLR versus the 722 the same way. At 130 Mph, there was a one car separation.

HOWEVER, it's a warm day here, and I got cool air vents! Her 722 just looks the same..... :icon_thumleft:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a proper awd launch it would have been way more even (of course). But hey, the 722 is beast anyway :icon_mrgreen:

You should try from around 30mph or something, would be easier to see how much faster the SLR is then.

Gratz on the cars!! :icon_thumleft:

Just playing around on the highway on the way home, the 722 pulls away at any speed I want. For example, both of us running at 55, I (LP640) double left click to 3rd and punch it all the way. The 722 simply pulls away at about the same clip as the video.

I have no idea what happens between 130 and 200 Mph, however. Not sure where I could even find out!

Just playing around on the highway on the way home, the 722 pulls away at any speed I want. For example, both of us running at 55, I (LP640) double left click to 3rd and punch it all the way. The 722 simply pulls away at about the same clip as the video.

I have no idea what happens between 130 and 200 Mph, however. Not sure where I could even find out!

Oh boy, please dont take this the wrong way because I appreciate all your input on the 2 cars, BUT, even though I am clearly on the SLR's side, you cannot race the SLR against the Lp640 from 55mph, with the Lp640 being in 3rd. The Slr will automaticly kick down to the lowest possible gear, while the Murci will be lagging because you should be in 2nd and not 3rd.

That was actually just a guess. We didn't do it much, but it seemed that the 722 wanted to pull away no matter what I did. Kind sad, really.

I suspect that an Enzo might be eaten for lunch by the 722!

That was actually just a guess. We didn't do it much, but it seemed that the 722 wanted to pull away no matter what I did. Kind sad, really.

Not having seen it, or knowing the details, but I have heard that an owner of both, believed that his regular SLR pulled harder than his Enzo did.

I think so too. Just talked to a friend who did three runs from 0-200 km/h with an LP640 vs an Enzo. Same result every time (this LP640 was launched like it was no tomorrow); The 640 got a good jump at the Enzo at the start, and by 200 they were even. From there on the Enzo would have pulled away.

Putfile converts the files to Flash format. I guess you have to have the Flash Player installed. It IS big, since I took it with a DV camera, but with good internet speed it shouldn't take more than about 30 to 40 seconds to start.

Putfile converts the files to Flash format. I guess you have to have the Flash Player installed. It IS big, since I took it with a DV camera, but with good internet speed it shouldn't take more than about 30 to 40 seconds to start.

I have flash player. Can you upload to Youtube? :icon_mrgreen:

Damn! The SLR killed the 640.. :crybaby2: I think I will go ahead and cancel my order for the Murcie Roadster and change it for SLR roadster. :icon_pidu:

Damn! The SLR killed the 640.. :crybaby2: I think I will go ahead and cancel my order for the Murcie Roadster and change it for SLR roadster. :icon_pidu:

JimmyJ, the true baller...

DAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMM the LP got smoked. Yes the launch could have been better but holy shit that 722 put multiple car lengths on that thing.

DAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMM the LP got smoked. Yes the launch could have been better but holy shit that 722 put multiple car lengths on that thing.

If the race had been from a standstill and the LP640 would have been launched and not babied of the line I don't see the SLR passing it untill at least 200km/h...

And my God, the car actually DO look like a giant penis :eusa_dance: Still a very cool car though :icon_thumleft:

If the race had been from a standstill and the LP640 would have been launched and not babied of the line I don't see the SLR passing it untill at least 200km/h...

And my God, the car actually DO look like a giant penis :eusa_dance: Still a very cool car though :icon_thumleft:

What are you talking about dude. Did you watch the same video I was watching ? I mean yeah the LP got a shitty launch but once it was moving at full acceleration the SLR was still pulling away from it. I would still choose an LP ovver th SLR but that 722 is dam fast. I don't think even with a good launch it would be close enough to make a difference.

I still cant see the video, but Id also be willing to bet that being female driven the SLR wasnt launched the way it should be either. The SLR is very tricky to launch, with the traction control on it robs alot of power, with it off, the burnout king.

Admittedly, both cars had traction control on. The 722 was simply stomped to the floor (the LP640 was too). My wife's probably a bit better at drag racing than I am, and I know I'm not talented enough to take advantage of turning off traction control. I'd probably spin all over the place!

Just a question here.... how would you launch the 640 better? If you're referring to it's version of Launch Control, how do you time that in a racing start?

I simply waited until GO, pressed the pedal to the floor, then shifted at roughly 7500 RPM. The LP has always been a bit slow to react at the start, where the 722 just takes off immediately.

And Alan, I'm working on an alternate means for you to see the video. Be patient.

Admittedly, both cars had traction control on. The 722 was simply stomped to the floor (the LP640 was too). My wife's probably a bit better at drag racing than I am, and I know I'm not talented enough to take advantage of turning off traction control. I'd probably spin all over the place!

Just a question here.... how would you launch the 640 better? If you're referring to it's version of Launch Control, how do you time that in a racing start?

I simply waited until GO, pressed the pedal to the floor, then shifted at roughly 7500 RPM. The LP has always been a bit slow to react at the start, where the 722 just takes off immediately.

And Alan, I'm working on an alternate means for you to see the video. Be patient.

Thanks Chuck but I just watched the vid on another computer. Inmo, if you race again, forgo the dead stop, and just go from 30 or 50mph on. You can tell from the video though, that the Lp, no matter what stands no chance. And since you said that approx 1 car length seperates the reg SLR and the 722, as I said before, the reguler SLR will kill the Lp640 too.

I dont think there is any doubt that the 722 would win. the video is loading for me, just VERY slowly.

edit: just watched it. not close. but with a proper launch I think the LP640 would have been much closer. it still would have lost to the 722 but it would have been closer. with a proper launch against the regular SLR would be interesting.