HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!

Roman

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Thanksgiving guys...among MANY, MANY other things this year, Im thankful to be part of this board and to call many of you my friends! :icon_super:

Hope its a great holiday for everyone!

Yeah, Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Go out and run your cars around a little bit. Enjoy a great day.

Happy Turkey Day to you too!

Seems a lot of people this year are frying turkeys - new fad I suppose :)

Best regards

right back at you. Are you ever coming out here?

Dude, I have no idea :lol2:. Eventually, I will. My friend goes to SDSU, so I might visit him in the spring, and then maybe I'll visit AZ.

I love the holiday's as much as I love topcarbon.

:eusa_think:

Since this weekend/tradition doesn't "exist" over here, can somebody please explain exactly why it is? Just curious :icon_thumleft:

:iamwithstupid:

Since this weekend/tradition doesn't "exist" over here, can somebody please explain exactly why it is? Just curious :icon_thumleft:

The English Settlers of Plymouth Massachusetts, in 1621, landed in what was basically a wilderness, and decided to settle there. They had already survived a HORRIBLE, two month journey at sea. They faced horrible weather, and had to ultimately abandon their original destination when the provisions ran low. When they disembarked, they ran into further hardships. They were able to find some supplies, but the land they were on was terrible, and having good intentions, they felt guilty that they were on a stretch of land they didnt have a right to (unlike the original landing spot). They ultimately had to abandon the first settlement within a few weeks, get back on the boat, and ultimately landed again at Plymouth in mid December, which to this day is an area of the country that has some of the WORST WINTER WEATHER of anyplace in the America's.

There they werent even able to begin building shelters until Christmas Eve, because of the fierce wind and cold. Building of the settlement was SLOW and Arduous, as the pilgrims, unlike previous, almost ALL MALE settlers to the Americas, were seeking RELIGIOUS freedom, and thus brought their FAMILIES with them. In Late Winter, they made their first contact with the Native Americans, and as providence would have it, they had the great fortune to find that among the Indians they encountered was one who had lived in Europe for five years and who was fluent in English. Squanto acted as a negotiator for the Pilgrims and the Indians, was crucial in a declaration of peace between the two, and gave a great deal of support to them during that first winter.

But the winter was VERY hard. Half of the 100 settlers died before it was over. But despite their horrible losses, the remaining Pilgrims recognized that it was a miracle ANY of them survived. They viewed the ASTRONOMICALLY UNLIKELY presence of an English speaking native in the area they mistakingly landed at as another sign of God's intervention. And when the first year was over, they sat down to have a feast, with their Indian benefactors to thank GOD for preserving them through it all.

Guest skokos

That was a great write up roman,can i repost this and give you credit? ive had few people asking about the origin of thanksgiving

In typical L/P fashion, HAPPY THANKSGIVING BITCHES!!!

I was in the market today and looking at the amount of turkeys, hams, fruits, veggies, luxury chocolates, coffee, etc...and really was kind of thinking how blessed it is to be in this country, I mean I read about an "upper-class" couple who had lived in the Soviet Union, and the guy who'd visited them right after the collapse of the Soviet Union said their being upper-class meant they had a small apartment to themselves, one microwave (the wife's pride-and-joy), and for shopping, they had to shop at the neighborhood store (by LAW! You want to shop, this is where you go. There was also one restaurant as well I think) This was better than communal living and having to go wait in line for things I guess. Well anyway he said they went and shopped for some crappy vegetables and a piece of meat he said that looked like it was the worst piece from the worst part of the animal).

He said then some time later the Russian couple came to visit America and were astounded over the "huge" home they (he and his wife) owned (which by American standards was just average-sized). Then they went shopping at a farmer's market and the guy said he went to get a cart and when he came back, the Soviet wife was crying, and asked "Who shops here?" to which he said "Anybody." It was a farmer's market with fresh fruits and vegetables piled up high and meats and cheeses, and all the other consumer products available.

So we are all very blessed to be born in America IMO.

This thread makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside now :)

That was a great write up roman,can i repost this and give you credit? ive had few people asking about the origin of thanksgiving

I sure hope they're not Americans!

Happy Thanksgiving! Speaking of stuffing yourself...my brother ordered something called a Turducken which he has been bragging about bringing to the annual family feast for the last few days...its a chicken stuffed in a duck, stuffed in a Turkey...ummm...no thanks! I'll stick with the more traditional turkey with a good helping of enchiladas and a few tamales (yes, our area thrives on Mexican food and we seem to always have at least something we can pour some red or green chili on at every family gathering!). Enjoy the feast!

The English Settlers of Plymouth Massachusetts, in 1621, landed in what was basically a wilderness, and decided to settle there. They had already survived a HORRIBLE, two month journey at sea. They faced horrible weather, and had to ultimately abandon their original destination when the provisions ran low. When they disembarked, they ran into further hardships. They were able to find some supplies, but the land they were on was terrible, and having good intentions, they felt guilty that they were on a stretch of land they didnt have a right to (unlike the original landing spot). They ultimately had to abandon the first settlement within a few weeks, get back on the boat, and ultimately landed again at Plymouth in mid December, which to this day is an area of the country that has some of the WORST WINTER WEATHER of anyplace in the America's.

There they werent even able to begin building shelters until Christmas Eve, because of the fierce wind and cold. Building of the settlement was SLOW and Arduous, as the pilgrims, unlike previous, almost ALL MALE settlers to the Americas, were seeking RELIGIOUS freedom, and thus brought their FAMILIES with them. In Late Winter, they made their first contact with the Native Americans, and as providence would have it, they had the great fortune to find that among the Indians they encountered was one who had lived in Europe for five years and who was fluent in English. Squanto acted as a negotiator for the Pilgrims and the Indians, was crucial in a declaration of peace between the two, and gave a great deal of support to them during that first winter.

But the winter was VERY hard. Half of the 100 settlers died before it was over. But despite their horrible losses, the remaining Pilgrims recognized that it was a miracle ANY of them survived. They viewed the ASTRONOMICALLY UNLIKELY presence of an English speaking native in the area they mistakingly landed at as another sign of God's intervention. And when the first year was over, they sat down to have a feast, with their Indian benefactors to thank GOD for preserving them through it all.

Roman,

Wow, sure gives the word *Thanksgiving* a whole new meaning :icon_thumleft: See/hear it often over here (from films, movies, TV and such) and know I can bragg to my friends I know why you in the US celebrate it as well :icon_thumleft:

Thanks for the write-up :icon_thumleft:

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving guys! :icon_mrgreen: