Viper ACR does 7:22 on Nring

lambornima

According to the folks over on the Viper club, this was done with a grand total of only 4 laps! If you watch the video you can see there are places he's sitting on the limiter and other times where he's not fully maxing the car out on the turns. I think with more time they might be able to get in the 7:18-7:20 range

I dont doubt it....it was built to race on the track but made so its legal to drive on the road. In all the magazine tests it seems to keep dominating on track tests. Im sure the hard part would be learning to push that thing to 10/10ths of its potential!

Very fast.

I loved reading all the posts dismissing the numbers and saying the GTR is a better car. Nissan spent a lot of time on the 'Ring tweaking and testing, what is appearing to be a ringer, as all of the cars people are driving now can't seem to match most of the early test numbers.

The ACR would smoke a GTR in pretty much any sort of race short of a small super twisty autocross course. The base Viper (now with 600hp) will eat a GTR.

Holy S***, thats fast. The ACR has cleaned up any track shoot-out I've read so far, at least for lowest time...auto journalist usually then notch it down for being to raw or something like that. But 7:22 is wicked fast for a production car...thats what 7 second faster than the GTR...i cant even remember what the ZR1 ran...but i cant help wonder now with these times that seem to be dropping every month, how much of this is the driver not the car? could the guy who drove this viper be able to run a 7:22 in a CGT? i say probably, both cars are of similar weights and HP...down force i'm not sure. It would be nice if all these times were done by the same driver.

a rennteam member commented that the Nring was changed somewhat so that laps are 5-10 seconds quicker now (ie a R8 was able to run a 7:53 and the new 911 ran a 7:50). despite this, 7:22 is impressive and the only "negative" about this lap time is that it was done with a lot of suspension adjustments. but with fully adjustable suspension, this is probably expected.

also in a recent MT test, the ACR cleaned up against an R8 and GTR by 5 seconds around leguna seca and a 997TT by 7 seconds.

a rennteam member commented that the Nring was changed somewhat so that laps are 5-10 seconds quicker now (ie a R8 was able to run a 7:53 and the new 911 ran a 7:50). despite this, 7:22 is impressive and the only "negative" about this lap time is that it was done with a lot of suspension adjustments. but with fully adjustable suspension, this is probably expected.

also in a recent MT test, the ACR cleaned up against an R8 and GTR by 5 seconds around leguna seca and a 997TT by 7 seconds.

If the car comes with a fully adjustable suspension (which it does in the ACR) then let them tweak away I say. This car was built specifically to do exactly this! Its hard to believe with how harsh the "standard" vipers are that you can make one even more track ready! :icon_thumleft:

No surprise. This Viper is getting as close to a race car as possible while maintaining road legal status. Amazing track car, terrible road car. Not to take anything away from it, as it's a hell of a performer, but I really think you'd be a fool to own this thing for anything other than the track.

No surprise. This Viper is getting as close to a race car as possible while maintaining road legal status. Amazing track car, terrible road car. Not to take anything away from it, as it's a hell of a performer, but I really think you'd be a fool to own this thing for anything other than the track.

Although its road-worthiness has also been questioned, the standard Viper is marginally slower than the ACR. In fact, its straight line speed is better than the ACR's because it has reduced aero-drag. There was a recent article in either Car & Driver or Road & Track...I cannot remember which. Both the standard Viper and ACR were faster than the Lamborghini Superleggero and Porsche GT3RS around a road course. I would like to see how the standard Viper would compare to the ZR1 and GTR. I bet it would either be in the ball park or out perform both.

Although its road-worthiness has also been questioned, the standard Viper is marginally slower than the ACR. In fact, its straight line speed is better than the ACR's because it has reduced aero-drag. There was a recent article in either Car & Driver or Road & Track...I cannot remember which. Both the standard Viper and ACR were faster than the Lamborghini Superleggero and Porsche GT3RS around a road course. I would like to see how the standard Viper would compare to the ZR1 and GTR. I bet it would either be in the ball park or out perform both.

Hmm. I haven't seen any reviews recently of a Viper outside of the ACR. I didn't think the standard Viper got any upgrades, though I can't say I pay much attention to Vipers.

I'm sure ride quality is improved in the standard vs ACR, but I find it hard to believe that it's much better of a daily driver. The Viper has always lacked in amenities that I think should exists in all road cars, regardless of their performance, so it never crosses my mind when considering cars. If I had to buy one, it would be the ACR simply because the amenities don't exist in either.

Hmm. I haven't seen any reviews recently of a Viper outside of the ACR. I didn't think the standard Viper got any upgrades, though I can't say I pay much attention to Vipers.

I'm sure ride quality is improved in the standard vs ACR, but I find it hard to believe that it's much better of a daily driver. The Viper has always lacked in amenities that I think should exists in all road cars, regardless of their performance, so it never crosses my mind when considering cars. If I had to buy one, it would be the ACR simply because the amenities don't exist in either.

The article was in Road & Track and it is called, Evil Twins. Here is the link:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?se...article_id=6461

Also, what amenities are you referring. Both the standard Viper and ACR have A/C, navigation etc. If you're concerned about cupholders and heated seats you're correct.

There is more then ACR doesn't have then what the the ACR does have in comparrisson. The ACR comes with an adjustable suspension and aero. The reductions are on the inside, like lighter seats and the option for the hardcore package which removes the a/c and stereo.

Otherwise, the power plant is the same and I believe gears are the same.

the regular Viper in 08 got 600 hp up from 500. also got better tires.

And a bit of a face-lift. I wasn't suggest the v3 vipers are the same as the v4. Only considering current version.

Impressive.

That being said, the car was riding on Pilot Cup Sports. Similar rational a 360 CS laps more than 10 sec beyond a standard 360.

Another great "thing" about the 08 Vipers is with some basic mods (exhaust/tires) the car will do 10's in the 1/4 mile.

Surprisingly the later generations Vipers have less room in the intererior then the gen 1 and 2 vipers. that was a surprise to me. As far as amentities goes, when driving a beast like that, amentities should be the last thing on your mind. Hell I just drove a 96 GTS 3.5 hours from the lake this weekend and it really isnt THAT bad! Maybe a lack of cupholders but other then that, just another rough supercar!

I find it funny that some find the adjustable suspension as some dark cloud over the 7:22. Teh ZR1 and GTR were developed on the Ring. They both have had countless hours/months/years of tweaking and lapping to achieve there astonishing times of 7:26 and 7:29 respectively. This Viper effort was done in just 3 days and 3 laps to beat the ZR1's time by a whopping 4 seconds despite not being developed on the Ring. Keep in mind that the ACR's gearing isnt suited to the Ring as seen by they bumping off the rev limiter. Also with the suspension adjustment they settled on was hardly the best. You can hear it bottoming out constantly. This is hardly the best this car can do on the Ring. The driver left it in gear and bumped off the limiter because it was the fastest way given the Ring unfriendly gearing from what Ive read. Shifting would have cost time. Also a 20mph headwind on the long straight coupled with the ACR's aero meant 5th gear was useless so he left it in 4th since he lost too much speed in 5th. Despite all that against it it still did a 7:22. Just an impressive track car period. It will never win an overall comparo but it is beating the hell out of everything out there. It even beat the GT2 by almost 5 seconds in one comparo. If there was any car I expected to at least hang with or beat the ACR it was the GT2.