Who has relocated?

Rix

Im moving very soon on a semi permanent basis and I'm curious if any of you have permanently relocated. Where did you move to and why? Did/Would you ever move back? Do you regret moving, or was it the best thing you ever did?

Just curious to find out :)

Where (how far) are you moving, why are you moving?

I moved to So Cal after living the majority of my life East of the Mississippi river. I can't imagine ever living anywhere else especially out of the Western US. I scoffed a little at first because it's so expensive to live in Cali and a few other negatives, but that being said. I live in a nice place and couldn't be happier. That is unless President Obama bankrupts me.

From Chicago to Phoenix ... was the best decision I ever made in my life. My memories of those 26 years in Chicago are like a nightmare whereas Phoenix, a dream. I moved because I need sun to survive, more open spaces, cheaper standard of living, and a better climate favorable to small business. As for moving back, NEVER. I might be interested in a month long vacation in the city, but that is about it.

My next "relocation" might be to Costa Rica.

Well I have lived most of my life in Finland, one year in states and now over a year in Sweden. Both times, especially now in sweden I basically have everything better, but think I am going back "soon" again.

My biggest "problem" is that I have some really good friends and family in Finland that I really miss. Whats all the good worth if everyone I would like to share it with is far away?

That said I strongly recommend for anyone to move for a longer period of time somewhere far, it sure does teach alot.

Moved from Seattle to Puerto Vallarta: loved it

Moved to San Diego from P.V.: Hated it

Moved to P.V. from San Diego: loved it

Moved to Scottsdale from P.V.: It was okay

Moved to P.V. from Scottsdale: Loved it.

I think I learned my leason

Where (how far) are you moving, why are you moving?

Im moving quite far.......I'm going daarn andah (Australia) Which is about as far as you could move tbh :P

From Chicago to Phoenix ... was the best decision I ever made in my life. My memories of those 26 years in Chicago are like a nightmare whereas Phoenix, a dream. I moved because I need sun to survive, more open spaces, cheaper standard of living, and a better climate favorable to small business. As for moving back, NEVER. I might be interested in a month long vacation in the city, but that is about it.

My next "relocation" might be to Costa Rica.

There are a number of reason as to why, some are listed ^. My main one also being the weather. I hate this countries weather...dull, cold, grey rain all the time, ack its disgusting...IMHO weather plays a huge factor in peoples motivation and lifestyle. You just cant make use of the day if its always raining and dark.

I lived in Zimbabwe & SA when I was younger, just for 4 month periods, as thats where my family is from. Maybe it was the environment, maybe it was the fact I was away from "home" but I noticed that I was much happier and I was a completely different person.

The other major factor is that the tuning industry is a dying trade over this way, I'm wanting to start totally fresh so to speak, a clean slate while I'm young. Its not permanent as yet, however I'm going for a 12 month run so see if its viable.

Well I have lived most of my life in Finland, one year in states and now over a year in Sweden. Both times, especially now in sweden I basically have everything better, but think I am going back "soon" again.

My biggest "problem" is that I have some really good friends and family in Finland that I really miss. Whats all the good worth if everyone I would like to share it with is far away?

That said I strongly recommend for anyone to move for a longer period of time somewhere far, it sure does teach alot.

I know what you mean. I dont know anybody over there and I'm going absolutley blind. I'm leaving family & friends behind. However, the way I see it is that if I want to fulfill where I want to be & who I want to be in life, I simply can't do that in my current surroundings.

Moved from Seattle to Puerto Vallarta: loved it

Moved to San Diego from P.V.: Hated it

Moved to P.V. from San Diego: loved it

Moved to Scottsdale from P.V.: It was okay

Moved to P.V. from Scottsdale: Loved it.

I think I learned my leason

Jason, why did you move away from P.V back to Scottsdale if you loved it there? Was it work or lifestyle related...Same again for why you moved back

Jason, why did you move away from P.V back to Scottsdale if you loved it there? Was it work or lifestyle related...Same again for why you moved back

everytime there was opportunity involved.

I love living at beach. The kids love it at the beach.

Stavanger, Norway

Bergen, Norway

Houston, TX, US

Bergen, Norway

Trondheim, Norway (military base)

Stavanger, Norway

Orlando, FL

Atlanta, GA

Orlando, FL

I like to relocate as I think it opens up windows for new opportunities. I am thinking about moving to Spain in a year or so.

IMHO weather plays a huge factor in peoples motivation and lifestyle. You just cant make use of the day if its always raining and dark.

maybe it was the fact I was away from "home" but I noticed that I was much happier and I was a completely different person.

Of course I can't speak how you will react, but this is exactly how it was. I went from 50 days of sun a year to 340. I turned into a completely different person - motivated, alive, vibrant, risk taking -- and had I stayed in Chicago, I surely would be A) Dead or B) Delivering pizza and strung out on anti-depressants. I also left blind and had to start fresh with no friends, no family, and no job. Eventually, my entire family followed because they also saw 'the light'.

These moves are capable of transforming your life in great new directions.

Good luck sir!

I just should leave too..

Interesting thread...i'm presently contemplating a "relocation" from Northen Canada to Arizona, and not in a snowbird 5 months a year way, i'm planning to buy a company, relocate 100% and settle in. So i've been watching this thread with interest...especially input from those who've relocated to the south western United States.

Of course I can't speak how you will react, but this is exactly how it was. I went from 50 days of sun a year to 340. I turned into a completely different person - motivated, alive, vibrant, risk taking -- and had I stayed in Chicago, I surely would be A) Dead or B) Delivering pizza and strung out on anti-depressants. I also left blind and had to start fresh with no friends, no family, and no job. Eventually, my entire family followed because they also saw 'the light'.

These moves are capable of transforming your life in great new directions.

Good luck sir!

Arizona does that to you. My sister and brother in law lived in that area and went to AZ on a conference. They fell so in love that as soon at they got back he started looking for a job there. He got one fast and they moved. After the first grandchild was born, my parents followed. They love the dessert and are so active/healthy since moving there compared to the frozen midwest.

Been stuck in Pennsylvania all my life and it's holding me back. Can't relate to single friend around here, nobody gets it.

Moving to Orlando, FL in 8 days and I cannot wait!

Moved across the pond when I was 15.

80% odds moving to Buenos Aires next month for a few months.

If winter is getting to you, move. If not having sun is getting to you, move. You always have a choice to move back, and there are great people all over this world.

Arizona does that to you. My sister and brother in law lived in that area and went to AZ on a conference. They fell so in love that as soon at they got back he started looking for a job there. He got one fast and they moved. After the first grandchild was born, my parents followed. They love the dessert and are so active/healthy since moving there compared to the frozen midwest.

I can tell you that living in Seattle versus some sunny place like Arizona or Puerto Vallarta are completely different. You can put the same house, the same people, the same job, in both places. The person who has lots of sun will be the one who is most alive, getting outside, have a zest for life and a spring in there step. There outlook will be more positive. I hated the drearyness of Seattle and it became depressing. Has the highest rate of bookreaders and suicides.

I have lived in 14 cities around the world and in the US for work. More when I was younger and was on assignment for 1 year or more.

It is great to experience different places and people - and a good way to "extend" your own personal and professional network.

I can say I have liked Cincinnati the best for many reasons. But I will also tell you I did not dislike any of the places I have lived. I did like some more than others, but fond memories and friends in all the places I have lived.

If you are young and able to move - why not move and experience a new place and people!

Some of the places I have lived - and yes Cincy is the best place (specifically now that I have kids and family, it is affordable, weather is pretty decent, great schools, and central enough when I fly out each week - doesn't take long to get most places...)

Tokyo

Melbourne Australia

Sydney Australia

Perth Australia

San Fran

St. Louis

Columbus, Ohio

Cincinnati

Bankok Thailand

Chicago

Detroit

Auckland NZ

Peoria IL

London

Relocated as well. I do miss the snow, family and friends though! Other than that, it's been good!

If you end up in Perth, let me know and I can show you around.

Also, during my education years I move around alot while trying to find the right fit for me. I started college at a school where I knew NOONE and loved meeting all new people. Then I moved around ALOT more usually to places where I knew noone and in the end I lived in about 8 places in 10 years. That was easy to do in those years because the majority of what I owned fit in or on my car. It was a good time and I met a lot of interesting people. I've found a niche place now so I don't think I'll be leaving, but you never know.

Me.

Miami

Ft. Lauderdale

Miami

Won't ever leave unless there is a VERY good opportunity involved. :icon_mrgreen:

I have been just about everywhere in the US except the midwest, which I personally have no real need or desire to go to.

There are many places outside the US which I would love to visit to see if they are possibilities such as Europe, South America, Asia.

All my personal/business travel has been domestic or to the Carribbean.

Moving to Orlando, FL in 8 days and I cannot wait!

Sweet! Good luck with the move! :icon_thumleft:

Moved across the pond when I was 15.

80% odds moving to Buenos Aires next month for a few months.

If winter is getting to you, move. If not having sun is getting to you, move. You always have a choice to move back, and there are great people all over this world.

So your actually a Brit?

I have lived in 14 cities around the world and in the US for work. More when I was younger and was on assignment for 1 year or more.

It is great to experience different places and people - and a good way to "extend" your own personal and professional network.

I can say I have liked Cincinnati the best for many reasons. But I will also tell you I did not dislike any of the places I have lived. I did like some more than others, but fond memories and friends in all the places I have lived.

If you are young and able to move - why not move and experience a new place and people!

Some of the places I have lived - and yes Cincy is the best place (specifically now that I have kids and family, it is affordable, weather is pretty decent, great schools, and central enough when I fly out each week - doesn't take long to get most places...)

Tokyo

Melbourne Australia

Sydney Australia

Perth Australia

San Fran

St. Louis

Columbus, Ohio

Cincinnati

Bankok Thailand

Chicago

Detroit

Auckland NZ

Peoria IL

London

Tokyo was on my list but the language barrier was my biggest issue...

How did you find the different parts of Aus?

Relocated as well. I do miss the snow, family and friends though! Other than that, it's been good!

If you end up in Perth, let me know and I can show you around.

Im heading to Sydney to start with. I figure its the best place to start and settle, then move around from there. My nephew has just landed a GP partnership in Brisbane so he may be moving there in Oct, not sure yet as he is expecting his first child in late Sept. Thanks for the offer, if I do head up to Perth I'll defo give you a shout :)

Also, during my education years I move around alot while trying to find the right fit for me. I started college at a school where I knew NOONE and loved meeting all new people. Then I moved around ALOT more usually to places where I knew noone and in the end I lived in about 8 places in 10 years. That was easy to do in those years because the majority of what I owned fit in or on my car. It was a good time and I met a lot of interesting people. I've found a niche place now so I don't think I'll be leaving, but you never know.

IMO thats the best thing about travelling, meeting random, strange and interesting people...

Me.

Miami

Ft. Lauderdale

Miami

Won't ever leave unless there is a VERY good opportunity involved. :icon_mrgreen:

I have been just about everywhere in the US except the midwest, which I personally have no real need or desire to go to.

There are many places outside the US which I would love to visit to see if they are possibilities such as Europe, South America, Asia.

All my personal/business travel has been domestic or to the Carribbean.

I think there are great opportunities everywhere but if the surroundings don't suit your personality then it can cause issues which is why I'm moving.

Its great to hear people point of view guys so thanks and keep them coming :)

I hope to look back on this thread in a years time and say "YES!! I'm so much happier I made the jump" :icon_thumleft: