If you could live anywhere, where would you live?

el_chorizo

I find myself in a position to pretty much pick up and live anywhere I feel. I still work (over the internet) so money is still coming in via USD. So I don't need a job wherever I go.

Requirements? There aren't any hard and fast ones, but it would be preferrable if there were a large percentage of english speaking people there, decent technology (ie, internet) and decent hospitals should the need ever arise.

With that said, where would you live if you could live anywhere, and why?

I'm currently in Costa Rica and while it is gorgeous and there is a ton of stuff to do, I'm not quite sure it's perfect for me. There may be another place that might suit me better so I'm open to options.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

new zeland is one of my favorite place to go but not sure that would be a great place to live i would wanna be tropical.

What don't you like about costa rica or do you just feel somethings missing? maybe it'll make suggestions easier.

I haven't been there yet, but lake como seems like it would be absolutely terrific if you are in the position to be able to afford a mansion on the lake

Costa Rica is on my list.

USVI? I guess it is kind of small and has the island/tropical attitude. That can be good or bad. Nothing gets done in a hurry and the govmnt can be tedious.

Prescott, AZ?

new zeland is one of my favorite place to go but not sure that would be a great place to live i would wanna be tropical.

What don't you like about costa rica or do you just feel somethings missing? maybe it'll make suggestions easier.

I haven't been there yet, but lake como seems like it would be absolutely terrific if you are in the position to be able to afford a mansion on the lake

Really the only complaints would be that there is still a bit of technology lacking here, import duties on cars and electronics (or anything of value, really) are outrageous. That and I just don't find myself attracted to the locals females.

As far as NZ, I've always wanted to try there and Australia. I've heard living in NZ can be hard because they don't like to give out permanent VISA's and that they don't like American's too much there? This true?

Costa Rica is on my list.

USVI? I guess it is kind of small and has the island/tropical attitude. That can be good or bad. Nothing gets done in a hurry and the govmnt can be tedious.

Prescott, AZ?

AZ too damn hot, no oceans and no waves to surf :)

USVI perhaps, what's the cost of living like? It would be cool if the USD went far wherever I end up. Also, I get worried about "island fever" so a town that's decent sized would be nice.

Update: Sorry, posted this in wrong section. Thanks for moving it Porter.

Are you looking for a permanent setup? Id suggest maybe a 2 front system since you are mobile, ie have 2 or more homes so that you can change your view when you want. Of course So Cal is a great place because of the weather and surf and fairly easy accessabiltiy to skiing (drive for crappy ones, fly 1-2 hours for great ones). There are many nice roads for driving, hot women for talking to etc. If you have a second home that is different though and maybe you spend enough time there vs. So Cal you can avoid a certain amount of the So Cal taxes.

"With that said, where would you live if you could live anywhere, and why?"

Why live in one place?, pick up properties in places/countries you like and move from place to place during the year and seasons...no one place has it all for me...

I am going to check out Buenos Aires, I am yet to meet a person who says negative things about it after being there

NZ is great... until you meet the people. Living in the UK I know what it is like not to be surrounded by stunners. Living in NZ would be taking another backward step.

The scenery, the wine and the architecture will blow your mind.

Living is okay cost wise but driving they rape you senseless if you drive a little ott even in the middle of nowhere.

Auz.

Part of me appeals to Auz, great weather (where there are no dust storms) but can get a little too hot. Not as laid back as NZ but in a good way. But in general have never met a bigger bunch of racists and I say that trying not to insult our Aussie mates on here.

Car tax is stupid. Wine and girls = good.

As for where I would live? France probably. Good food, good booze and I have family there.

Northern Cali appeals too. Good food, good booze and I have not got family there.

I am going to check out Buenos Aires, I am yet to meet a person who says negative things about it after being there

When ya leaving? I will be in BA for New Years, plus a stop in Punte del Este(Uruguay). Love the place, but dunno about living there full time.....

I recently visited Barcelona, and it has everything anyone could want, sexy/friendly women, reasonable cost of living, great style/architecture, active night life, good food etc....

Marin County in Northern Cali is also on my short list, as is Vancouver Canada.

Cincinnati!

j/k

I would love to live in Denver.

I left Denver not too long ago, hated the snow and slow drivers. It has mountains but you can only do and look at them for so long really nothing else there.

So. Cal thats where I am, why do you think people write so many songs about Cali.

Well, this is an exotic car forum, so I assume most of us can live anywhere heh.

But yes, I'm in the same position as you. Online company, earn USD, just need an internet connection and I can work anywhere in the world. Currently living in Shanghai.

I've realized a lot of stuff in life lately, and the number one... er, three thing is that it doesn't matter where you live. When you find what makes you happy in life, it doesn't matter where you live. Well, unless snow makes you happy, or something retarded like that. However, I think most will agree with me that it's a person or people than gives you that feeling, thus the place is irrelevant.

That being said, I'm completely miserable right now.

You should try NZ , its really nice down here.

Im not 100% sure on the visa but we have recently reduced the amount of investment required to get automatic entry (have never really looked into though)

Americans are accepted here, we have no problems with you guys. You might get the odd one or two iditots but over all we are nice.

If you live in one of the main centres - auckland wellington christchurch then they will have everything you want. Our winters can get cold but if your in the north island then its not too bad.

Plus lambos are rare on the roads over here, see maybe one or two max. only half a doz are sold each year new here.

I really have too many places where I could live and be reasonally happy... Cant decide.

One place where I definately do not want to live is this place...at autumn/winter time.

I really have too many places where I could live and be reasonally happy... Cant decide.

One place where I definately do not want to live is this place...at autumn/winter time.

Helsinki is fun as hell during the summer. :icon_thumleft:

B, I am trying to get a couple of things right, so I can spend a couple of months in BA nov-dec hopefully everything works out. Would love to hit the slopes with you like we talked about!

I live in a country with high taxes, bad weather 70% of the year, and jealous people. The good things about living here is - many beautiful girls, decent food, high living standards and good healthcare(thanks to the high taxes).

If I had the opportunity to move anywhere I wanted in Europe, I'd try southern Spain or maybe even Mallorca.

Madrid and Barcelona are pretty cool.

I think Portugal (don't know where) could be nice too. And like Brian said, it's the people who are important. You could move to the most beautiful/fun/... place in the world but you could still feel miserable.

Auz.

Part of me appeals to Auz, great weather (where there are no dust storms) but can get a little too hot. Not as laid back as NZ but in a good way. But in general have never met a bigger bunch of racists and I say that trying not to insult our Aussie mates on here.

Don't want to go off topic but why are they that racist? I read and heard some stories and it's just sad.

I live in a country with high taxes, bad weather 70% of the year, and jealous people. The good things about living here is - many beautiful girls, decent food, high living standards and good healthcare(thanks to the high taxes).

If I had the opportunity to move anywhere I wanted in Europe, I'd try southern Spain or maybe even Mallorca.

Sweden is one of the places I'm considering... so is possibly Iceland (I've heard the girls there are gorgeous and they love americans)

Anyone ever lived in Romania or an area like that?

B, I am trying to get a couple of things right, so I can spend a couple of months in BA nov-dec hopefully everything works out. Would love to hit the slopes with you like we talked about!

Right on, make sure you stay for New Years, which should be a good party. As for the slopes, dude its summer down there.... so if you go put Punte del Este on your hit list, its supposed to be a cool beach town/resort.