Lexus LF-A

Benkei

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The moderators were generally nice, but they get uncomfortable if someone asks hard questions about the LFA in a fan-boy thread. There was a guy who went on and on about his ride in an LFA, but when I asked if he was buying one or if he had any experience in other exotics, he said he had none, and that he wasn't buying the LFA. He could have ridden in an old 512TR and wouldn't know how to compare the two.

Lexus isn't ready to let people drive it, given they have so few demo car in the US. The whole thing is odd, not because of the status of the demos, but because Lexus is claiming that they have so many buyers that they get to choose who is lucky enough to own one. I think what Lexus is saying is complete and total bullshit, and yet that particular forum doesn't feel comfortable asking those hard questions. It's an emperor's new clothes thing under the disguise of the wrong post in the wrong place. Nice guys, just a few of the moderators are touchy about the LFA.

Thats obnoxious. I have yet, across any of the exotic forums that I troll around on, to see anyone who is even considering or remotely INTERESTED in one of these.

Thats obnoxious. I have yet, across any of the exotic forums that I troll around on, to see anyone who is even considering or remotely INTERESTED in one of these.

Thank you! That makes two of us. Some of the guys on the Lexus forum were arguing that the lack of interest on the forums is no indicator of product interest. Oh, really?

The moderators were generally nice, but they get uncomfortable if someone asks hard questions about the LFA in a fan-boy thread. There was a guy who went on and on about his ride in an LFA, but when I asked if he was buying one or if he had any experience in other exotics, he said he had none, and that he wasn't buying the LFA. He could have ridden in an old 512TR and wouldn't know how to compare the two.

Lexus isn't ready to let people drive it, given they have so few demo car in the US. The whole thing is odd, not because of the status of the demos, but because Lexus is claiming that they have so many buyers that they get to choose who is lucky enough to own one. I think what Lexus is saying is complete and total bullshit, and yet that particular forum doesn't feel comfortable asking those hard questions. It's an emperor's new clothes thing under the disguise of the wrong post in the wrong place. Nice guys, just a few of the moderators are touchy about the LFA.

Hey Tommy. I just double checked, not one post of yours was deleted. As I stated earlier we just had a fraud discovered on our forum concerning someone saying they were buying a Koenigsegg CCX (thread here http://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/4...tml#post5158533 )so when you joined a few members thought it was him returning or another fraud.

A Lexus forum will be different than a Lambo one. A Lambo forum is clearly full of exotic owners and those able to buy exotics. A Lexus forum is not. There are only 150-160 for America and only 500 worldwide. We have 2 people that posted (one here one in Japan) they were prospective buyers. We have another one that went to a recent event who is ready to buy but he isn't going around bragging or shouting about it. Not sure why anyone would expect a Lexus forum to be full of prospective buyers when the most expensive car prior to it was the 120k LS 600h L (that is fully optioned).

You asked the "hard questions" plenty of times and were given answers, some from non buyers, some from buyers. Anyone here can go and view the threads and see that.

Not starting a flamewar at all, just wanted to talk to you on your turf. Please don't throw me to the wolves :)

1SICKLEX

Hey Tommy. I just double checked, not one post of yours was deleted. As I stated earlier we just had a fraud discovered on our forum concerning someone saying they were buying a Koenigsegg CCX (thread here http://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/4...tml#post5158533 )so when you joined a few members thought it was him returning or another fraud.

A Lexus forum will be different than a Lambo one. A Lambo forum is clearly full of exotic owners and those able to buy exotics. A Lexus forum is not. There are only 150-160 for America and only 500 worldwide. We have 2 people that posted (one here one in Japan) they were prospective buyers. We have another one that went to a recent event who is ready to buy but he isn't going around bragging or shouting about it. Not sure why anyone would expect a Lexus forum to be full of prospective buyers when the most expensive car prior to it was the 120k LS 600h L (that is fully optioned).

You asked the "hard questions" plenty of times and were given answers, some from non buyers, some from buyers. Anyone here can go and view the threads and see that.

Not starting a flamewar at all, just wanted to talk to you on your turf. Please don't throw me to the wolves :)

1SICKLEX

Actually I think it's great that you're on here and thanks for responding. No reason to flame you at all. My posts on the thread regarding the two who went for a driver were deleted. All of them within that thread were deleted. It could be that the moderators wanted to keep it on the review rather than the question if anyone would buy it. I don't know as nobody said anything, I just came back and they were gone. I would have no way of knowing the profile of members of the Lexus forum and I've been hearing that the most likely buyers would be from existing Lexus owners. Given that I'm both a Lexus and Lamborghini owner, I didn't think it would be that unusual to find other exotic owners there either. I really did expect to find more likely buyers of the LFA, but I've posted the question on multiple forums and so far nothing. Some have offered some interesting reasons why they haven't responded and only time will tell.

I was met with some extremely unfriendly forum members there simply because I was asking hard questions. Some of the moderators were extremely nice and very helpful, but it felt like hard questions about sales claims were not welcome as they are here on this and other exotic forums. I hope you continue to post here, my hope is that someone who is going to buy the car comes forward and talks about their decision. Yea, and exotic forum can be brutal, actually any car forum can be brutal, but I think the moderators here are willing to see the hard questions remain. If you look at the General Lamborghini thread, they are hard on the brand and pull no punches. My hope was that my questioning Lexus' claim that they were "selecting" buyers be challenged at it's face. I think it's a far-fetched statement for multiple reasons.

I really impressed that you came here and hope you chime in as it seems like you're a real car guy as we all are first, regardless of brand.

I honestly dont find it to be that far fetched that anyone interested in an LFA be on the lexus forum. Unless they arent trying to put the LFA into hands of enthusiasts as much as they want them to be in the hands of the coffee shop and club crowd. If thats the case, why build your fastest most expensive sports car? Sounds more like the marketing for a new uber lexus sedan to compete with the Maybachs and Phantoms out there. If I were them, id be marketing this car to the Likes of Tommy and other gear heads who just like shit that goes like hell and looks cool.

I honestly dont find it to be that far fetched that anyone interested in an LFA be on the lexus forum. Unless they arent trying to put the LFA into hands of enthusiasts as much as they want them to be in the hands of the coffee shop and club crowd. If thats the case, why build your fastest most expensive sports car? Sounds more like the marketing for a new uber lexus sedan to compete with the Maybachs and Phantoms out there. If I were them, id be marketing this car to the Likes of Tommy and other gear heads who just like shit that goes like hell and looks cool.

Well put. To me this is a smoke and mirrors marketing program. I went on the Lexus forum to honestly find the debate and I was astonished by how the hard questions were received. I heard every excuse in the world, from wrong forum, to stealthy marketing, to my not being qualified to ask the question, and everything in between. Some on the Lexus forum were even hostile, just because I said what cars I owned in my attempt to qualify the discussion, yet it felt like I was asking an "Emperor's new cloths" kind of question. How dare I go anywhere and ask hard questions about the LFA. I was always routed back to corporate, the same corporation who is making what I believe are wildly exaggerated statements in the first place. The pragmatic course for most buyers and enthusiasts would be to find actual buyers but I can't find them on any forums anywhere. If I'm so in error, then why doesn't someone post here where the discussion is taking place? Given they claim to be seeking buyers who will drive them on the right roads and park in front of the right restaurants, you'd think that would be the same guys who are on the car blogs. Nope. I am more convinced than every before that the marketing of the LFA is all hype. To further support my view Lexus seems to have the time to run people around the track in Florida who are not in the market for the LFA in the first place and have no reference to other exotics, which tells me they are still attempting to find sufficient interest in the car in the first place.

Which I honestly do not think they will find. The Europeans have such a selection of cars for that kind of money, that I dont seem them having any desire for this car. For the kind of money the LFA demands, I just dont think it excels in ANY catagory. Its not the fastest, its not the best looking. Honestly what does it do? For 400-500G's it better do something. Perhaps come with a personal Geisha in the passenger seat to make sure you are "satisfied" every time you drive! Now that is something I can see spending money on! But to say that they are going to build 100's of these damn things, and we cant find 1, not 1 damn person on the forums who is interested really blows my mind. I can identify owners of McLaren F1's on fchat (only 64 owners of road cars worldwide!), bugatti owners, Zonda owners, and so on, on this forum, but there isnt one person saying "hey, i just spec'ed my LFA and cant wait." Either we are looking at the biggest automotive flop of a long time.....or something else gives....my bet is on the former....

Yup. I think it will be the biggest flop ever for multiple reasons. First, it's not priced according to performance. Second, they have treated the exotic community like they know better. That ass who claimed that Lexus will "select buyers" and anyone associated with that marketing strategy should be fired. I've never seen that same level of arrogance with any car company, not even Ferrari. The fact that even the Lexus forum doesn't have buyers who are posting anything says something. I'm sure they will sell a few in Japan out of national pride. But in the US??? Nope. I'm now convinced it's a dud. Kevin, you're absolutely right, I can find buyers on forums for every other car EXCEPT the LFA. I suspect to get rid of them they will make undisclosed cheap deals to dealership owners who will put them on showroom display and think they are cool.

Thats exactly my thought too. When they are selling at a 50% loss in a year after coming out, people might then try to pick them up for 200G's. I mean, at least when Ferrari "selected" its buyers for the Enzo, they did it out of brand loyalty. They picked those who had the largest collections of ferraris and most purchases. I dont see anything wrong with that, especially when the car is in high demand. But demand is the key factor....for which there is none for the LFA.

Thats exactly my thought too. When they are selling at a 50% loss in a year after coming out, people might then try to pick them up for 200G's. I mean, at least when Ferrari "selected" its buyers for the Enzo, they did it out of brand loyalty. They picked those who had the largest collections of ferraris and most purchases. I dont see anything wrong with that, especially when the car is in high demand. But demand is the key factor....for which there is none for the LFA.

Yea, I tried to explain the same thing on the Lexus site and they weren't buying it. The LFA never made it on my radar until the Wall Street Journal article about them "selecting buyers". That's when I started to look for excitement and found none.

Hey 1SICK!!! Glad to see you are still on CL. No Lexus in the current lineup.

The only problem with the car is the price IMO. $150k and there would be a line of buyers. Even at $200k, you could find some buyers.

I'm certain there are a few ultra-rich that are on board who don't frequent forums but I agree, it seems like someone somewhere would post up that they were in the queue.

Cheers.

Ag02M5 (formerly AgGS400)

Hey 1SICK!!! Glad to see you are still on CL. No Lexus in the current lineup.

The only problem with the car is the price IMO. $150k and there would be a line of buyers. Even at $200k, you could find some buyers.

I'm certain there are a few ultra-rich that are on board who don't frequent forums but I agree, it seems like someone somewhere would post up that they were in the queue.

Cheers.

Ag02M5 (formerly AgGS400)

(I'm I the only one who not only owns a Lamborghini but also a Lexus???) Would love to see more of the CL guys who are into the LFA here in the discussion if they have some other interesting data point.

• 2 weeks later...

Forums are still quiet about any LFA buyers. If they are selling 150 cars, you'd think 20-50 prospective buyers would be on the forums, but no. Nothing so far. Of the 40+ SVs in the US, I'm guessing 1/4 of the owners are on a a forum somewhere.

(I'm I the only one who not only owns a Lamborghini but also a Lexus???) Would love to see more of the CL guys who are into the LFA here in the discussion if they have some other interesting data point.

No Tommy, you are in good company..... Albert II, Sovereign Prince of Monaco owns both Lamborghini and a Lexus :icon_super: :icon_thumleft:

It's funny but when I'm driving the LS460L and I mention that I have a Lamborghini they don't really believe me. Yet if I'm in the Phantom, they expect me to have dozens of cars as if four isn't enough.

I've been thinking more and more lately that 375K isnt that bad. It may not be the fastest in every single respect, but the performance is probably among the best out there. It's also incredibly unique. Even though there will be less SV's than LFA's, the SV still is a M at heart and looks like one. 458 will probably be better, but there will be tons of them produced and it won't be that much cheaper.

It's looks are love it or hate it, but you'd be paying a lot more for something like this if it came from one of the boutique manufacturers -- sans the new McClaren perhaps.

It's funny but when I'm driving the LS460L and I mention that I have a Lamborghini they don't really believe me. Yet if I'm in the Phantom, they expect me to have dozens of cars as if four isn't enough.

Well a person in a Lexus strikes people as a successful, upper-middle class professional usually, but a RR Phantom, people instantly assume you are rich.

on a track ,I don't think this car will be as fast as the Nissan GTR R35

The old Supra is slower than GTR R32-R34 on a track period.

on a track ,I don't think this car will be as fast as the Nissan GTR R35

The old Supra is slower than GTR R32-R34 on a track period.

Hard to say. I've only seen one lap test and that was TG. TG is, well, TG, but in pretty what looked to be very wet conditions it was 3 seconds off pace with a GTR in the dry. I'm guessing that this car is really fast.