an "Accident waiting to happen" Just happened

rakjoe

Being in the middle divider on the 10 in Phoenix is like being trapped against a wall and you can't really climb it to go to the oncoming traffic side (at least where I was), and the only way out, was to pass right by the truck to get to the right side of the freeway. And this is a 6-7 lane freeway and cars were screeching and sliding sideways bumping into each other everywhere. My only choice was to get back in the car and pray that thing doesn't go up like Chernobl 50 feet away... It didn't........ HP and fire dept. got there really fast (I was surprised, 5-7min), they took my statement and I was on my way.

The MOST hideous thing that I to this day won't ever forget............Is the sound of the metal when 20 tons made impact together at a combined 140MPH... Movies can try to fabricate the sound with digital wizardry, like "Transformers" and shit, but they're not even close. I pray that I NEVER hear a sound like that again...............................

That's exactly why I really hate going on the 10. I almost always take the surface streets, unless I need to go on the 10, which has happened from time to time.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Youre absolutely right..... They should have been wearing their seatbelts....

Ill be sure that the Orange County sheriff pins the "failure to wear a seatbelt" ticket to their shirts before the caskets are closed.

I wouldnt hold my breath on them paying the $75 fine.

Not trying to defend the girl that killed them but it's just a shame they weren't wearing the seatbelts.

Any pics of the crash scene?

Being in the middle divider on the 10 in Phoenix is like being trapped against a wall and you can't really climb it to go to the oncoming traffic side (at least where I was), and the only way out, was to pass right by the truck to get to the right side of the freeway. And this is a 6-7 lane freeway and cars were screeching and sliding sideways bumping into each other everywhere. My only choice was to get back in the car and pray that thing doesn't go up like Chernobl 50 feet away... It didn't........ HP and fire dept. got there really fast (I was surprised, 5-7min), they took my statement and I was on my way.

When you say you got back in the car, you mean you just got back in and sat inside hoping and praying that the rig didn't go up in flames...? (just want to make sure I am getting what you wrote correctly is all)

I agree with everything Roman said.....maybe you do get confused, maybe you take a wrong turn....but how do you not see the lights coming, or the fcuking median on your RIGHT SIDE!!! I mean do you think you took a wrong turn and are suddenly in england?! Crazier thing, it happens here in cincy. Probably 3 times in the last year or so. One was a city firefighter leaving a christmas party and decided to head north on 71 in the south bound lanes. Hes got something like 5 or 10 years to think about that mistake....

2 cars driving fast in both directions -- other than a straight, flat, and long section of freeway I would guess neither has a fcuking clue what is happening or what even happened post-crash.

I have a sneaky suspicion I know what happened.... The 5 south (the major north south freeway in OC) is closed after midnight near the 91 for construction.... They get your ass off on surface streets (its an area that if you dont live right there, you would NEVER drive around it) and you have to find your way back to a freeway if you want to continue on your trip..... I did it Monday morning coming back from U2.... I've been driving for 22 years and I was stone cold sober and it confused the hell out of me....

Add booze to it and I can totally see somebody getting on the wrong god damned side......

There was a drunk driving case near my old home town where a multiple-DUI driver hit and killed one teenage girl while paralyzing her friend. The two girls were wearing dark clothes walking down the side of a street at night. I'm short on details but the guy more or less got off because "he would have hit them whether or not he was intoxicated."

No defense for drunk driving, but confusing roads are seriously fucked up when it involves freeways. I've experienced a few myself during road construction in the Chicago area. Throw in a little bad whether and you might be 500 milliseconds from being paint on a concrete wall.

You were sober and confused, sure as hell an elderly driver will be confused too, and have a high chance of making the wrong choice.

This girl is guilty of being a stupid cunt. Unfortunately darwinism killed the wrong people.

When you say you got back in the car, you mean you just got back in and sat inside hoping and praying that the rig didn't go up in flames...? (just want to make sure I am getting what you wrote correctly is all)

Well, praying it doesn't EXPLODE spraying metal and shit everywhere........better to take cover than standing outside looking at it. It was 50 feet away from me! It was smoking very heavily, I heard some kind of loud hissing sounds coming from it and gasoline was everywhere. WAY more than a movie!!! You know how they make it trickle out and it catches fire from the heat and "BOOM"... Well imagine how fast and how much water comes out of your bathtub fawcet when you open it fully. Now multiply that by 9 and multiple openings.....just gushing out and spraying up in the air and making pools of gas, (don't know if they have inner bladders for those tanks now, but they should). I didn't want to take the chance running by it and getting blasted as I passed. It was fcukin scary!!! So many noises I couldnt have imagined in the course of 30secs. Have you ever heard a sound that has never been processed by your brain in your life ever, and cognizantly recognize at that moment, "this is a noise my senses have never experienced" ? Very panic inducing...

So in a spur of the moment life decision, feeling trapped; I jumped back into my car, I curled up and everything, below the window line and stared at the floor. I didn't even look up again until I heard the sirens. The cops didnt even come near it to check on me until the fire guys had that white foam shit, dousing it down from a distace. Real shit, man...

Is that clear enough??

Not trying to defend the girl that killed them but it's just a shame they weren't wearing the seatbelts.

Any pics of the crash scene?

abc_wrong_way_091026_mn.jpg

Well, praying it doesn't EXPLODE spraying metal and shit everywhere........better to take cover than standing outside looking at it. It was 50 feet away from me! It was smoking very heavily, I heard some kind of loud hissing sounds coming from it and gasoline was everywhere. WAY more than a movie!!! You know how they make it trickle out and it catches fire from the heat and "BOOM"... Well imagine how fast and how much water comes out of your bathtub fawcet when you open it fully. Now multiply that by 9 and multiple openings.....just gushing out and spraying up in the air and making pools of gas, (don't know if they have inner bladders for those tanks now, but they should). I didn't want to take the chance running by it and getting blasted as I passed. It was fcukin scary!!! So many noises I couldnt have imagined in the course of 30secs. Have you ever heard a sound that has never been processed by your brain in your life ever, and cognizantly recognize at that moment, "this is a noise my senses have never experienced" ? Very panic inducing...

So in a spur of the moment life decision, feeling trapped; I jumped back into my car, I curled up and everything, below the window line and stared at the floor. I didn't even look up again until I heard the sirens. The cops didnt even come near it to check on me until the fire guys had that white foam shit, dousing it down from a distace. Real shit, man...

Is that clear enough??

Yes, thankyou for the detailed description.

What is even more sad or disturbing, is that the passengers all got in the car with her. I don't know about you guys, but when I have been hammered, I know that I can't operate a car. So I call a cab, or we have a sober driver that was preselected before we go out. If everyone is piss drunk, I cab it too... No sense in playing Russian roulette..

Even when you're FUBAR'd, you still know you're getting into the car with an intoxicated driver.. That's what I don't get, why risk your life like that...

-Steven

What is even more sad or disturbing, is that the passengers all got in the car with her. I don't know about you guys, but when I have been hammered, I know that I can't operate a car. So I call a cab, or we have a sober driver that was preselected before we go out. If everyone is piss drunk, I cab it too... No sense in playing Russian roulette..

Even when you're FUBAR'd, you still know you're getting into the car with an intoxicated driver.. That's what I don't get, why risk your life like that...

-Steven

She didnt have any passangers............... the victims had 4 people in their car.

went to high school with the chick. shes a couple years younger than me. sad story for a girl that was very bright and had a big heart.

Thats unfortunate....

She will have a very long time to live with the consequences of her actions, and hopefully, somehow, someday, make some level of amends for them....

Thats unfortunate....

She will have a very long time to live with the consequences of her actions, and hopefully, somehow, someday, make some level of amends for them....

Like what, killing herself for the good of mankind? :icon_thumleft:

Like what, killing herself for the good of mankind? :icon_thumleft:

That's not a civil response.

Granted, she screwed up big time.. like Roman said, she'll have a LONG time to think about what she has done.

Head over to any college party.. you'll see tons of kids jumping behind the wheel in worse shape. It's almost a joke to them nowadays.. sickening.

Yeah.... I have to admit, when I was her age, I had a few drinks and got behind the wheel a few times (and I even got pulled over for it once... I was below the limit but they still fucked with me over it.... And I deserved it...)

And Part of me wanted to say "there but for the grace of god go I..."

BUT

Ive never in my entire life gotten so drunk that I could end up on the wrong side of the goddamned freeway (and at least not figured it out within the first 2 seconds or so), let alone DRIVEN in that condition.

I'm very sorry for the 4 that died, but that's wat's called "natural selection" or "survival of the fittest"

She's dumb enough do drive drunk and get in a crash, yes. But the one in the truck would have survived had they been wearing their seatbelts.

The truck doesn't look too badly smashed up in the picture, there doesn't seem to be "cabin intrusion" and it didn't flip (no marks on the roof) so the occupants died from the sudden deceleration of the crash.

If they habitually didn't wear seatbelts, then this was not just 1 tragedy waiting to happen, but 2.

"natural selection" or "survival of the fittest"

You clearly don't understand those terms.. Exposing yourself to additional risk is NOT a part of natural selection but rather a personal choice.

According to your analogy, a soldier enlisting to serve in the army is increasing his chances to die, by doing that he is assisting the natural selection, those who did NOT enlist and stayed home are the "fittest" and they will survive while he will remove himself from the gene pool... :eusa_naughty:

Another example is of those chose not get out of their bed their whole life not to expose them selves to risk that normal daily activity might poses, are they the "Fittest"?

We all make mistakes, not putting seat belts, crossing the road not in pedestrian crossing, occasionally speed etc..

You clearly don't understand those terms.. Exposing yourself to additional risk is NOT a part of natural selection but rather a personal choice.

According to your analogy, a soldier enlisting to serve in the army is increasing his chances to die, by doing that he is assisting the natural selection, those who did NOT enlist and stayed home are the "fittest" and they will survive while he will remove himself from the gene pool... :eusa_naughty:

Another example is of those chose not get out of their bed their whole life not to expose them selves to risk that normal daily activity might poses, are they the "Fittest"?

We all make mistakes, not putting seat belts, crossing the road not in pedestrian crossing, occasionally speed etc..

Not at all.

I'm afraid that it is you who do not understand.

Let me use your own example of the soldier to explain:

A soldier enlisting and choosing not to wear his helmet and body armor will improve the pool (in this case the platoon he serves in) by dying early.

A soldier has to rely on the soldier next to him to cover his area and pull his weight.

By not wearing his protective gear, he is a weak link in a chain that would cause the whole chain to fail, hence by his death, the chain is strenghtened when he is replaced on the firing line by a more competant and armored soldier. He died, and the platoon is now stronger.

I'm very sorry for the 4 that died, but that's wat's called "natural selection" or "survival of the fittest"

She's dumb enough do drive drunk and get in a crash, yes. But the one in the truck would have survived had they been wearing their seatbelts.

The truck doesn't look too badly smashed up in the picture, there doesn't seem to be "cabin intrusion" and it didn't flip (no marks on the roof) so the occupants died from the sudden deceleration of the crash.

If they habitually didn't wear seatbelts, then this was not just 1 tragedy waiting to happen, but 2.

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

This would be neither survival of the fittest, nor natural selection. It would actually just be a case of survival of those that are better able to survive. Even if they were wearing seat-belts, what if the impact forces were still too large?

RIP to the poor victims.

Not at all.

A soldier enlisting and choosing not to wear his helmet and body armor will improve the pool (in this case the platoon he serves in) by dying early.

A soldier has to rely on the soldier next to him to cover his area and pull his weight.

By not wearing his protective gear, he is a weak link in a chain that would cause the whole chain to fail, hence by his death, the chain is strenghtened when he is replaced on the firing line by a more competant and armored soldier. He died, and the platoon is now stronger.

Soldier wears his helmet, gets hit by a .50 cal round. By this logic, why wasn't the soldier in a tank then? And no, a soldier dying improves the strength of only the soldiers enemy.

I do agree that it is insanely idiotic to not use a seatbelt. As with all accidents, there are many what ifs. The lesson to be learned is utilize all of the safety features engineered into your vehicle, and trust no other driver on the road.

Not at all.

So you heard those terms last night in a movie and decided to apply them to this case ?

Your explanation further proves that you don't understand the concept of natural selection.

You can apply your theory to EVERY unnatural death and say if the person did not make it to 120 years old then something was wrong with his actions and the natural selection eliminated him early.

Even people who die of old age at 80 you can say they should have taken more pills and saw a better doctor, now the natural selection took them away.

If you referring to "Darwin award" nomination then not wearing seat belts hardy qualifies for it..

:eusa_think:

she drank Vodka that she thought was water since it was in a water bottle.

LMAO.. I don't think Any Lawyer would to make a Stupid statement like. Even a 3 years old knows what a bottle of water taste like. If someone says anything like that in Court, people would just get angry, That's Insulting Their Intelligence.

LMAO.. I don't think Any Lawyer would to make a Stupid statement like. Even a 3 years old knows what a bottle of water taste like. If someone says anything like that in Court, people would just get angry, That's Insulting Their Intelligence.

ACTUALLY..... Its the only plausible defense...

INVOLUNTARY intoxication is a defense to most crimes.....

Now.... When I was in law school 15 years ago and heard that I was incredulous (Oh come on???? Like that ever happens?) but then GHB drugging became popular..... And now there have been instances of people INVOLUNTARILY intoxicated committing crimes and getting off.

If somebody spiked her drink, shed have a really great defense.

ACTUALLY..... Its the only plausible defense...

INVOLUNTARY intoxication is a defense to most crimes.....

Now.... When I was in law school 15 years ago and heard that I was incredulous (Oh come on???? Like that ever happens?) but then GHB drugging became popular..... And now there have been instances of people INVOLUNTARILY intoxicated committing crimes and getting off.

If somebody spiked her drink, shed have a really great defense.

According to this study, drink spiking is an urban legend:

Widespread spiking of drinks with date-rape drugs such as Rohypnol and GHB is an "urban legend" fuelled by young women unwilling to accept they have simply consumed too much alcohol, academics believe.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/cri...ban-legend.html

That is why I don't drink - period.

I prefer to be alert & in control, plus save money, also not interested in having a hangover.

If you ask me - alcohol is far more dangerous than a few illegal, uncontrolled drugs (such as Marijuana).

However I don't get high and could care less about it's legalization because it would not effect me...

How predictable, now the myspace is deleted or closed..

The reason that the drunks usually survive major crashes that kill the innocents is because their muscles are loose and the whole body is like a jelly... :icon_pidu:

Interesting...

I also agree about her friends probably trying to do everything in their power to keep her from jail-time.

Everyone keeps saying how could she NOT notice....

What you guys fail to think of, is the fact that when she got in the car and FINALLY sat down, in the car after a full night of partying, and being beyond hammered (which of course she wouldnt be thinking straight), that once she got on the freeway, she probably passed out, with her foot on the gas.

I had a situation on the Freeway in college, coming from Glendale,AZ on the 10, for you Phoenix guys. On my way back to the ASU campus, It was about 3am, and I noticed something that looked like a shadow in the middle of the freeway and tailights ahead were swerving, it was hard to tell if it was the other side of the freeway or not, until about 40yards I saw it... a pick-up truck in my lane coming at me. The thing was ,with his headlights NOT on, and mine shining on the truck, I could make out the shape of a man's body slumped over leaning as if asleep. I swerved and stopped and the truck hit head-on with an 18 wheeler that was next to me, I will NEVER forget that moment...

Wow - "interesting" story to say the least (of course in a bad, shocking way)

Funny thing is when a drunk gets on the wrong side of the freeway he immediately finds himself in the "Left lane" and tries to shift lanes to the right lane which is the real fast lane...of oncoming traffic.. :shock:

Never thought about that....